Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Was actually able to find a last minute spot in R.B. Winter State Park/BESF last weekend. (Yes, not dispersed, but it was available.) Crazy busy. Lucked out with no rain for a couple days, although way humid. But still a weekend away!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Was actually able to find a last minute spot in R.B. Winter State Park/BESF last weekend. (Yes, not dispersed, but it was available.) Crazy busy. Lucked out with no rain for a couple days, although way humid. But still a weekend away!
R.B Winter is a great campground for hitting BESF.

It is so crazy everywhere. Lots of people enjoying the outdoors.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got a question.

If I purchase the pro version of an app...is it only good for the device I purchased it with?

Say I purchase it with my phone. Can I also put it on the tablet?

If I get a new phone...will it download on it or do I got to purchase it again?

Thanks.

Reactions: Dusther210

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Got a question.

If I purchase the pro version of an app...is it only good for the device I purchased it with?

Say I purchase it with my phone. Can I also put it on the tablet?

If I get a new phone...will it download on it or do I got to purchase it again?

Thanks.
I can only confirm Gaia.

It's available on all your devices and will sync across platforms.

In addition, you can log on from any computer and access your information, routes, waypoints, etc.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks guys. So basically...i am purchasing it for my app account...and will be in the library to be added to any device using that account.

Thanks.

Kinda what I thought...but wasn't sure. All you guys asking for tracks...guess I need to move away from turn by turn descriptions and screen shots, and give ya all links to click...lol

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thanks guys. So basically...i am purchasing it for my app account...and will be in the library to be added to any device using that account.

Thanks.

Kinda what I thought...but wasn't sure. All you guys asking for tracks...guess I need to move away from turn by turn descriptions and screen shots, and give ya all links to click...lol
Frankly I’m surprised Gaia or BDR haven’t contacted you regarding your PA expertise

Reactions: DevilDodge

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Probably because I keep bashing them...lol

Technology and pre made routes...ugh...hahaha

I am no expert...just love driving RAM trucks in Penn's Woods and staring at good maps.
Gaia doesn’t come pre populated with routes. It, just like Overland Bound and countless other things, is what you make of it. It’s a blank slate that is nothing more than a tool. No different than paper maps. While I also appreciate the tactile feel of maps and books the useful and resourceful options that an app like Gaia presents shouldn’t be ignored or disparaged. When I look at my Gaia I’m reminded of all the good times I had exploring and creating my own routes. Take the plunge haha.

RBSFabXterra

Rank II

Traveler III

Hummelstown, Pa.
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Smith
Just spent a long weekend around the Black Forest north of 80. It always better there. Tiadaghton, Tioga, Sproul and Susquehannock State Forests, It's not like Colorado but for east coast standards it's pretty big. Yes you need large fuel tanks unless you want to spend half you time looking for it. The Xterra doesn't have a large enough fuel tank. Testing out a bunch of new stuff. An awning, a Jackery and a Little Red Campfire. Also my sons new Taco.IMG_0168.jpgIMG_0170.jpgIMG_0172.jpgIMG_0170.jpgIMG_0172.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0168.jpg

RBSFabXterra

Rank II

Traveler III

Hummelstown, Pa.
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Smith
Food & fuel is in Waterville, Slate Run & Cross Forks. Fuel only in Haineyville. They are all on the perimeters and nothing in the middle. I always take it with me because it takes so long to get it and the prices are high. My son bought a sub at Wolf's in Slate Run and it was over $10.00, gas was almost $3.75. Hotel Manor has great food but then again prices are high. They are the only game in town and they know it. Gas up before you get there and take along a can or two just in case. No cell service at all and you can't even find a radio station. It is a dark sky preserve so wish for a cloudless night and stay up late. It get's better after midnight. Hope you have a great time.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks again.

I love the area. Spent alot of time there...just never under the guise of "overlander".

I am just doing a scouting drive checking out a route I am working on for a week or 2 trip.

Truck has a 32 gallon tank. I was debating taking gas with me. I had planned on stopping in Cross For at Kinney's Country Store..so looks like it will work out perfect.

I figure on 10 MPG...but my last 3 scouting trips I have nailed down 13+. So I got somewhere between 300 and 400 miles of range.

If my distance calculations are correct I will be at 120 miles in when I get to Kinney's Store. So I could turn around and head home on less than one tank. So I am hoping fuel is not gonna be an issue.

Looks like rain all week...so no dust...but hopefully not too much mud

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Word on the trail is....some lock cutting off of gated roads, removal of signs and unauthorized trail use over the past few days in the Bald Eagle SF area.

Just a heads up...and a reminder to leave the gated roads alone...we need the signs and stay on designated roads/4x4 HC trails.

Think I am going to stick to the northern forests for awhile. See some things I have not seen for awhile or ever for that matter.

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

Holland, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

So happy to find this. My wife and I have a 2016 JKU 2 dogs and a lot of backwoods experience. Looking to get off the pavement, get dirty, and go camping. We live in Hunterdon County NJ Bucks county PA area along the Delaware. We are interested in the Trans NJ trail but can’t find much info, WE ARE OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!! Hurry the weekends coming!!! VAGRANT AND BIRD

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My opinion of some sites in BESF.

Below Route 45 is the most popular and has the most to see overall.

Site 47 is probably our absolute favorite site. A vista near by. Clear up on top of the mountain sunk way back in from the road. Very peaceful...except for the planes...you are way up there...geocache nearby.

Site 48 and 69. Huge sites. On opposite ends of the forest. Easy to get to. 48 is a bit more secluded. Great for groups or larger campers.

46 is our 2nd favorite. Unfortunately our huge tent will not work here. Great for smaller tents and room for a couple rigs. The Gem is for hammock campers. A trail leads from the site down to a stream and is very secluded.

45 is a good one if you have a long travel trailer...otherwise...it is just a nice site. But right near the main road into Poe Valley SP.

61 has a lean to right on site. Not good for an RTT setup...but great if you want to bring no shelter...it is already there. 62 is right up from it...and not to bad. Not really an RTT site...but I have seen them find a way to work. 63 is just up a little more and is near an intersection...but a great spot for a pop up camper.

64 and 65 are pretty nice on the very south side of the forest. 64 is on a dead end road. Near some good hiking. They are also easy to get to from the main road.

41 42 and 44 are walk in sites. You park near the road and take your stuff back to the site. Some good hiking by them...and right above Poe Valley SP.

Site 70 is an ok site...easy to get too...but right on the road. Right by 69.

66...nothing about it I liked. Close to the road and unlevel.

Those are all the southern sites.

Screenshot_20210928-125957~2.png

Last edited:

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Looks like we are headed South to Hagerstown MD this Christmas to visit the in-laws. Thinking about escaping and doing an overnight in the 4runner. Michaux State Park is fairly close by. Do they usually shut down the campsites during the winter months or keep them open? Any descent roads to explore in that area?

RBSFabXterra

Rank II

Traveler III

Hummelstown, Pa.
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Smith
Looks like we are headed South to Hagerstown MD this Christmas to visit the in-laws. Thinking about escaping and doing an overnight in the 4runner. Michaux State Park is fairly close by. Do they usually shut down the campsites during the winter months or keep them open? Any descent roads to explore in that area?
Michaux and Tuscarora are close. It is still hunting season so watch out and if the weather is not good I'd stay off the mountain roads. I believe the disbursed campsites are open because of hunting season but the good ones fill up fast. You might want to reserve one. The weather in December can go either way. One day 50-60 degrees and the next 20-30. And if we have prcip it's usually ice that time of year. Have fun.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Michaux and Tuscarora are close. It is still hunting season so watch out and if the weather is not good I'd stay off the mountain roads. I believe the disbursed campsites are open because of hunting season but the good ones fill up fast. You might want to reserve one. The weather in December can go either way. One day 50-60 degrees and the next 20-30. And if we have prcip it's usually ice that time of year. Have fun.
Thanks for the reminder about hunting season completely forgot about them. Up here deer season is over around Thanksgiving (except for muzzleloaders and Archery).

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
As mentioned the sites are usually open year round. Last year though...a lot of roads got shut down...it was a phenomenal winter of deep snow and ice.

Pennsylvania is known for all 4 seasons in one day...so it is really a scrap shoot after Nov.1

Good luck with the trip.