Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Yes DevilDodge I changed my screen name. Thanks for the BESP and BESF clarification.

The westbound trek was in October & November - it was wonderful. Came back a changed man. My YT channel features 13 trek videos - the first video is HERE.

In March, I am heading west again for 5 months - starting in Arizona then slowly working my way to Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon and Washington. There is so much to see and do out there.

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

What a great thread! You are (almost) making me excited to return to PA next year. I'm honestly not looking forward to the (crowded) east coast when there is so much open rec area out here (WA).

We'll be based in Orwigsburg but don't mind traveling far and wide for adventure.

Area of interest: dispersed camping as much as possible, anything off road
Type of involvement: meet ups (oh wait thats below too)
Type of vehicle: 02 F250 & 96 Bronco both extremely off road capable
Your ability to get out: very available (husband is retiring) for day trips, overnights, last minute, and well planned adventure
Any areas of interest: no idea. all the places?
Areas of outdoor interest: hiking, hunting, waterfalls, lakes, anywhere thats dog friendly and scenic
Interest in meetups or group rides: yes!

I should be researching a Death Valley trip coming up in March but I wanted to say HI and bookmark this thread for future use.

Melinda

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Just noticed something. When you click on the campsite. You then click on the name when the bubble and an availability tab comes up. You can then check for when the aite is reserved.

This is awesome. Will make planning a lot easier.

But also shows how popular these sites are already. Dang covid made everybody a camper it seems. And are sending many of us deeper into the woods for adventure. Ugh.

Hope to get out soon.

So much snow right now though. Lots of forest roads are sticking people in their place.

Good times

dboden01

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Bodenstab
Member #

So much great information here, thanks.

Recently settled back in the SE PA region, after some extensive travel throughout the country. I am so ready to get back out on another adventure. I am hopeful to get some time in this spring and summer in a number of the forest regions you all have mentioned.

I have been hoping to meet up with some like minded adventurers for a meet and greet. Perhaps a rigs and coffee style event.

I started a thread on the East Region page

If any of you are interest, drop me a line!

Best,
Derek

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

It is pretty ugly out there. And this weekend is going to get warm. If you do go out...be sure to get out to a manageable road before sunset. The melting snow will be ice and unless you are prepared...you will be stuck.

Good luck and safe travels to anyone venturing out.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Screenshot_20210302-123911.png

Wonder how long it will be until they start requiring a reservation fee. With the popularity of camping right it will be fun trying to sift through all the sites to find one available.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

TL;DR: should we wait until a later date to make the trip north and stick to state parks here in VA with current conditions?

Mornin, everyone! Looking for some current condition ground truth for BESF. We're down in NW Virginia now, and desperate to get back up to visit Dear Olde State while exploring BESF with a modded 1st gen Sequoia, small RTT trailer and our intrepid furry jerks. But...with the weather being as it's been, and the rather warm temps expected next week, what're roads and trails like right now? We're looking to head SOMEwhere Sun thru Tues for a couple nights of decompressing, and also testing some gear.

I saw some of the snow reports for area state parks. Poe Paddy/Valley report a few inches of snow with possible ice pack, and BESP (emphasis on the P as opposed to F) reports only spotty areas of an inch or less. This leads me to believe that with the warmer days (and below freezing nights through the weekend) it may be a disgusting mess. While I don't care about the truck, I do care about needing about a dozen towels to dry the dogs off after every hike. Knowing a majority of hiking trails in the area are pretty rocky, it still bears asking what kind of conditions those are in as well; particularly up on the ridges where there may be more snow.

Alternatives are just hitting a state park down here (likely Douthat) and saving the trip up north until a later date when there's not a constant freeze/thaw. The downside to that is that I expect all the motorized spots to be reserved far in advance. Trying to take advantage of being on a one week on/one off schedule right now...not knowing how much longer that will continue. Admittedly there's also part of me that's reticent to visit campus right now if things are draconian and are going to suck the life out of any visit :disappointed:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
TL;DR: should we wait until a later date to make the trip north and stick to state parks here in VA with current conditions?

Mornin, everyone! Looking for some current condition ground truth for BESF. We're down in NW Virginia now, and desperate to get back up to visit Dear Olde State while exploring BESF with a modded 1st gen Sequoia, small RTT trailer and our intrepid furry jerks. But...with the weather being as it's been, and the rather warm temps expected next week, what're roads and trails like right now? We're looking to head SOMEwhere Sun thru Tues for a couple nights of decompressing, and also testing some gear.

I saw some of the snow reports for area state parks. Poe Paddy/Valley report a few inches of snow with possible ice pack, and BESP (emphasis on the P as opposed to F) reports only spotty areas of an inch or less. This leads me to believe that with the warmer days (and below freezing nights through the weekend) it may be a disgusting mess. While I don't care about the truck, I do care about needing about a dozen towels to dry the dogs off after every hike. Knowing a majority of hiking trails in the area are pretty rocky, it still bears asking what kind of conditions those are in as well; particularly up on the ridges where there may be more snow.

Alternatives are just hitting a state park down here (likely Douthat) and saving the trip up north until a later date when there's not a constant freeze/thaw. The downside to that is that I expect all the motorized spots to be reserved far in advance. Trying to take advantage of being on a one week on/one off schedule right now...not knowing how much longer that will continue. Admittedly there's also part of me that's reticent to visit campus right now if things are draconian and are going to suck the life out of any visit :disappointed:
Theres been a ton of melt over the last week or so but the issue with BESF, and not a new one, is that any of the roads in the north side of ridges basically stay in the shade all day long. Ice pack has ALWAYS been an issue there and will remain so. The unfortunate increased popularity has only made matters worse. That said you can certainly get around as there are hundreds of miles of roads there.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I am heading out saturday but my trail partner has yet to upgrade his tires...We may stay more east.