Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got a load of firewood to split. And we got some measurable snow this morning.

Regular camping season is over. Sure wish I could get out to the forest...but the honey do list has grown from all the weeekends we blew it off to go camping.

Hope to get some trail time soon. Maybe hit a campsite if the weather will cooperate.
20201031_151201_HDR.jpg20201102_063055_HDR.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
It is raining like crazy here. Probably be an interesting trip through the forests this weeekend.

Been pretty quiet on the PA threads. I see a bit of excitement in the New Jersey threads. And it seems the Virginians get together quite often.

Anyone been out and about...or have a trip planned.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I am out every weekend. Nothing to talkabout. I spend the least amount of time necessary in my home bed. I have been checking out Loyalsock SF the past few trips. Its a bit too busy over there for me.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Not hunting this weekend, but we are taking our new telescope out on Saturday night. Probably heading up to Loyalsock Rd where I know there is some Southern sky exposure. Probably take a nap in the roof tent until midnight and then wake up and freeze while we learn the new scope and software.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
That sounds like a great time to me. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Been explaining stars planets and constellations to my son. He seems interested. But keeping a 7 year old still looking at the sky can be a challenge at times. But he remembers what I tell him.

Hope the sky's are clear and the weather friendly for you @Shokgoblr

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
Hey all. I'm Brad and I'm in Wilmington, De.

I'm trying to get my boys more involved in outdoors exploring. We do our fair share of camping, and even more so this year as our one respite from being stuck in the house. They love dirt roads and slow backcountry driving with the occasional mud puddle.

I'm planning a trip through sections of the MABDR spring/summer 2021, but would love to get some more time in places closer to home. William Penn is the closest PASF to me, and I thought that would be a nice way to get them some experience without spending 3+ hours the car before starting out adventure (that's for the MABDR multi-day trek).

Thoughts, suggestions, tips, recommendations are sought after and much appreciated. BTW, I'm in a 2014 Outback with Falken Wildpeaks and an advanced driving skillset.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

Last edited:

DesmosDromos

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barker
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJB996
Hey all. I'm Brad and I'm in Wilmington, De.

I'm trying to get my boys more involved in outdoors exploring. We do our fair share of camping, and even more so this year as our one respite from being stuck in the house. They love dirt roads and slow backcountry driving with the occasional mud puddle.

I'm planning a trip through sections of the MABDR spring/summer 2021, but would love to get some more time in places closer to home. William Penn is the closest PASF to me, and I thought that would be a nice way to get them some experience without spending 3+ hours the car before starting out adventure (that's for the MABDR multi-day trek).

Thoughts, suggestions, tips, recommendations are sought after and much appreciated. BTW, I'm in a 2014 Outback with Falken Wildpeaks and an advanced driving skillset.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!
Brad,
Welcome! I'm in Philly, so I'll take a shot at some feedback here.

William Penn SF is spread out amongst several small tracts and there's not a lot of unpaved road to be had there. I'd recommend Wharton SF in NJ as a somewhat close alternative or go a bit further to Michaux SF in PA. Both of those have a good amount of unpaved roads to explore with your boys.

Do avoid the big puddles in Wharton as some are deep. I've had good luck using the Trans New Jersey Trail both north and south from Atsion Mansion as a way to spend a few hours out in the Pine Barrens. GPX files for the TNJT are in the first post of this thread: The OFFICIAL Trans NJ Trail Thread

Enjoy!

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
Brad,
Welcome! I'm in Philly, so I'll take a shot at some feedback here.

William Penn SF is spread out amongst several small tracts and there's not a lot of unpaved road to be had there. I'd recommend Wharton SF in NJ as a somewhat close alternative or go a bit further to Michaux SF in PA. Both of those have a good amount of unpaved roads to explore with your boys.

Do avoid the big puddles in Wharton as some are deep. I've had good luck using the Trans New Jersey Trail both north and south from Atsion Mansion as a way to spend a few hours out in the Pine Barrens. GPX files for the TNJT are in the first post of this thread: The OFFICIAL Trans NJ Trail Thread

Enjoy!
Thanks for the input! Pine Barrens is definitely on the list, as well. You're right in with line my train of thought though- smaller, quick trips to whet the appetite and make sure everyone really enjoys it as much as they say they do before we head out for three or four days.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Already getting cabin fever. Looking to get out to a state forest in the coming weekends.

Not sure which one..but right now it is Moshannon, Rothrock, and/or Bald Eagle.

I got 2 fire towers in Moshannon to locate and check out. Rockton and Knobs.

Looking to do some Geocaching and would like to pull of a few hikes...most likely to check off some of the purple lizards on the maps.

Most likely going to do a cabin stay for a weekend in January. Probably at a location right on the border of Rothrock and Bald Eagle and explore more of each the weekend.

Not sure if I will be doing any mods to any of my trucks. Maybe just do a repack of supplies.

Ready for some snow.

Reactions: AdventureMule

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
Already getting cabin fever. Looking to get out to a state forest in the coming weekends.

Not sure which one..but right now it is Moshannon, Rothrock, and/or Bald Eagle.

I got 2 fire towers in Moshannon to locate and check out. Rockton and Knobs.

Looking to do some Geocaching and would like to pull of a few hikes...most likely to check off some of the purple lizards on the maps.

Most likely going to do a cabin stay for a weekend in January. Probably at a location right on the border of Rothrock and Bald Eagle and explore more of each the weekend.

Not sure if I will be doing any mods to any of my trucks. Maybe just do a repack of supplies.

Ready for some snow.
I'm getting a similar itch...

Cruising these forums certainly doesn't help!

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I am in the Southern Tier of Western NY....and seeing as there are about zero trails or anyplace to ride in NY, I have been looking into PA for trails and finding dirt. Nothing too serious....to do some camping and exploring. Have been to AOAA, and a few atv parks riding sxs but would like to do more the overlanding type in my truck or Jeep. I read in this thread about Allegheny SF.....this is not that far from me. Where would I find these trails, logging roads....etc? Like a few others in here....I am really starting to get the itch to get out for a weekend or more. Thank you.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@RonaldHoward1313 we head to the ANF a few times a year. Haven't really explored much there, but plan to in the future.

I have a few maps and this guide book
20201215_122016_HDR.jpg

You can visit the website or call the number and they will send you information.

We go to Kinzua Sky Walk mostly when we are up there. But it has become such an overwhelmed tourist attraction that we are looking to go scout the forest more.

There is a lot to see and do in that area. I do not have much experience with the off pavement travel there but hope to become acquainted with it soon.

Reactions: RonaldHoward1313