Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
@RonaldHoward1313 we head to the ANF a few times a year. Haven't really explored much there, but plan to in the future.

I have a few maps and this guide book
View attachment 180216

You can visit the website or call the number and they will send you information.

We go to Kinzua Sky Walk mostly when we are up there. But it has become such an overwhelmed tourist attraction that we are looking to go scout the forest more.

There is a lot to see and do in that area. I do not have much experience with the off pavement travel there but hope to become acquainted with it soon.
Kinzua dam and walkway are on my list for this coming year for sure. I will have to check out the web site and do some exploring. I have been to the Alleghent State Park several times, but that is not the type of what I'm looking for. This travel guide and info is most def what I want. Thank you.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The truck on Mile One Rd was removed on the 23rd.

Hoping to get out tomorrow to see road conditions. May just hit the local gamelands. Bit would love to get to Rothrock. Bald Eagle probably out of range though. Would love to get to Moshannon also.

I need more time off

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We were just in Rothrock

We took the scenic route to State College and I wanted to test the route to take our travel trailer there.

At the lower elevation it was mostly just wet. Wife was a little reluctant about going up the mountain. Glad she was. We rose in elevation pretty good as we came back to the hi way and it was ICE.

So if any one is planning to hit the 4x4 high clearance roads...you will want tire chains.

sappy96

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

King George, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Kaliniowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKU477
Service Branch
USAF
I have been keeping track of people who have helped with or shown interest in my ramblings and in the Pennsylvania State Forests in genral.

The 4 most popular Forests seem to be
Bald Eagle
Michaux
Moshannan
Rothrock

The Allegheny National Forest is also popular...being in the Susquehannok State Forest

My personal interest will also be in Clear Creek
Elk
Sproul
Tiadaghton
As they complete the radius around me (hoping to complete a trip through them being off pavement as much as possible)

And just for info...the rest of the State Forests
Buchanan
Cornplanter
Delaware
Forbes
Gallitzin
Loyalsock
Pinchot
Tioga
Tuscarora
Weiser
William Penn.

The list of members who have contributed to my new obsession and/or posted information I have used are as listed
@Wawa Skittletits @riss800 @LivForNov @Clifford Zwiercan @LGlx @DBAR @Pick Teej @MOAK @7mmremmag @Dustinfromohio @RoadRunner @RCooney @utherjorge @OverlandZJ @Blue Moser
So, trying to get a network of members to assist in all of our adventures I decided to make this thread. These members were the ones who seem to be most active and from the area...but there are more who are less active/out of the area who i would also like to join us.

If anyone is interested (or prefer to be removed) please post up so we can have an active list of fellow Pennsylvania explorers
You are missing Hickory Run.

Edit: Nevermind, you said State Forest, I was thinking State Parks.

Quite the list and looks like some great areas to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
You are missing Hickory Run.
Yeah, I haven't had much luck finding State Parks that have the type of off-road access we might be looking for. I was trying to see if there were any forest or service roads in or around the Pocono/ Delaware Water Gap area, and it appears there might be one or two, but they are seasonal at best, if not gated altogether.

Reactions: sappy96

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

So I purchased these. They have alot of useful information and cover the areas around the state very well.

Can not wait to use them for my central PA off pavement travel trip.

Reactions: SteveC-Pro4X

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

So I purchased these. They have alot of useful information and cover the areas around the state very well.

Can not wait to use them for my central PA off pavement travel trip.
Yes DevilDodge, that is a good reference guide. I also have both eastern and western books. I'm thinking of driving to Bald Eagle during one of January's nicer days - I'm itching to get out.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Here is what I was saying about ice.

If you are out in the state forest here in PA and go up in elevation on a sunny afternoon...be prepared for an icy slide back down when the sun starts to set.

Ice is not your friend. It will ruin your day.

Pennsylvania is really bad for this surprise. As the shaded areas are also a totally different traction compared to a sun soaked spread.

Be careful out there.

@PennStateTaco if you are still around...glad to see your okay.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Reminds me of a day back when I was 17. I took my 81 Toy down some sketchy, 1-2" of snow covered powerlines on a beautiful March afternoon. By the time we were coming back up the sun had moved and the snow iced over. We tried winching up a steep slope for hours. No Go. I left the truck at 9pm.
I went back the next morning at noon, and drove it right up the mountain.

I learned never to trust any snow in the shadows.

Lex77

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SE, PA
First Name
David
Last Name
K
Hi! Dave from SE PA... married with 2 teenage boys.
Interested in mostly State Parks for adventures in offroading, camping, exploring and relaxation.
Jeep Gladiator with mild mods... leveling kit, winch, 35" Patagonias, bed tent.
Ability to get out? random... I'm kind of the planner type, but can be spontaneous at times.
Interested in a mix of exploring, learning and camping by streams, lakes, rivers to relax and enjoy the outdoors.

Did a couple day trips to BESF last year and loved it. Looking forward to some overnight trips to Poe Paddy and some primitive campsites.
A big thanks to all the contributors of this thread. Can't wait to get out!!

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Welcome @Lex77

Hyner Run and Fowlers Hollow both have a stream right by them.

You have been to Poe Paddy I am assuming and Poe Valley is right there also.

Reed's Gap is at the bottom of BESF.

Little Buffalo is a great small campground with a lake near by

Prince Gallitzin has a lot of outdoor recreation...but is a large campground. Although the Cherry loop is very primitive and right next to the lake.

There are many more like Little Pine that have a good size with a river near by

Just to be sure it is understood....the state parks do not offer offroading....it would be the forest roads in the state forest the state park is located.

Seems Michaux Bald Eagle Rothrock and Moshannon have the most and are most popular

Sproul is one that is often overlooked as are some of the other northern ones.

Good to have some active members to keep information flowing... Although sometimes I feel like keeping it secret lol.

Reactions: Lex77

Lex77

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SE, PA
First Name
David
Last Name
K
Great info @DevilDodge ! Thanks for sharing your “secrets”.. this will definitely be used when I begin planning my trips and I will return the favor when I find new places to explore.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Last May, immediately after Gov Wolf re-opened PA State Parks, I hit the road. That's when I found BESP and camped at Poe Paddy for the first time. Last summer, I camped there three more times. Made a video during my first time at Poe Paddy.

Below is the YouTube video link. Enjoy.
Clonk

Overland Bound wouldn't permit an upload of this video.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
BESP and BESF are two different places.

I am sure it was just a mistake...but want to be sure this is understood.

Bald eagle State Park is in the Northwest corner just outside of the forest.

Bald Eagle State Forest is were Poe Paddy and Valley are located and includes the state forest roads that everyone travels on.

Some people on other information platforms have made mistake of confusing the 2 and ended up way off of what they intended to do