Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Yes. Taking the forest to get to state college is much more relaxing than roaring down 99.

There are a few drivable trails there. I havent hit any yet, but plan to soon.

The fire towers are cool to see.

We hiked a bit on the mid state trail.

There is alot of native American history there as well. Some if the lookouts were used by the tribes for security

Can not wait to get back down there.

Reactions: Hewptee and riss800

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

Last night I camped in Bald Eagle State Park at the Poe Paddy campground. My campsite was near the stream. My trek began on Saturday at Ricketts Glenn. Feels good to get out after being cooped up.

View attachment 154944
I couldn't agree more! It felt great to be out camping and fishing this past weekend with my brothers. As one of them said "it was a nice slice of normal pie and it was wonderful"! Oh and this looks like a great camp site, I will need to check it out.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got some gear for my excursions into the Pennsylvania Wilds. Combined with my compass they form the most important gear I have.
20200521_095140.jpg
Looked at them a bit. Really informative and easy to see. Worth every penny.

They were out of the Moshannon and Quehanna maps.

Gonna do some looking now.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Not this past weekend or the one coming. On June 6th or 7th, I am heading out again and Bald Eagle is on the agenda. I may go farther west to PA Wilds afterwards.

Reactions: DevilDodge

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
I spent the weekend in BESF. We drove around that area, Poe Paddy State Park, over Poe Paddy Drive, and Ingleby View/Penns View. Definitely a good place to set up a base camp and go from there. Great weather, some rough "road", mostly gravel roads, nothing technical. Awesome to be back wandering outdoors.

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, on 2 weekends now we had members say they are about completely booked for motorized campsites.

My only experience with them is some scouting I did in February and March...and as expected there wasn't anyone using them.

So, to my question. Are these always this booked up in the summer? You can reserve 90 days ahead. Anyone know if they have a system that shows what is reserved, or do you really have to request with your top choices and hope you get one.

Obviously, I can just call and ask...but just curious what has been the scenario when people have reserved a permit.

Thank you

Reactions: riss800

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Here is my recent experience:

Using reserveamerica.com, I booked two more nights at Poe Paddy, next to the stream, three weeks in advance. There seemed to be lots of other sites available.

Also using reserveamerica.com, I booked four nights, lakefront site at Ricketts Glenn, three months in advance. The lakefront sites are prime and they usually have a longer lead time of three to four months.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Yes, reserve america is perfect for state park campgrounds. You can book 11 months in advance.

Unfortunately, they do not do the motorized campsites. You have to contact each particular State forest. I just didn't want to bother them at the moment as they are pretty busy being we are coming out of the covid days.

Was just curious if anyone came across something like the reserve america for the dispersed sites. I am pretty sure there is notjimg like it...but wondered if they can tell you what weekends the site is available or if you just have to make the request and hope.

I have been using Reserve America since 2015. It is great for many reasons. One being able to see what is available...and then also being able to see how full the particular campground is.

We reserve for trunk or treat at our local State park. We do it 11 months in advance. But because we planned to stay 2 weekends in a row, I thought...hmm....i can actually reserve our site 2 weeks early...well guess what...i wasn't the first to try this trick...our site was gone as someone else reserved the full 14 days in advance.

By the actual 11 month in advance date, 90% of the campground was reserved.

I did check poe paddy and poe Valley for the weekend I am planning...booked already.

Either they are always this busy, or plenty of people were doing research while quarantined...lol

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Very pleased and happy with our trip. We stayed at Site 34. Did 30 miles Friday and close to 60 miles Saturday. Notable off-road and tight spots are Hallow Negro, Longwell Draft, Strong Mountain Rd, Little Poe, Paddy Mtn road, Poe Paddy. Pretty much we tried hitting most OHV roads we can get in one day.

82950214_10163909270755717_5130974956623431969_o.jpg