Members with information/experience/interest in Pennsylvania State Forests for off pavement travel/dispersed camping

• HTML tutorial

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reinholds, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

Welcome @Carl.Ryan_dADVENTURE

Hopefully when the camping opens back up on May 8th I will get a chance to get out to Rothrock, Bald Eagle, and Sproul to explore for my central Pennsylvania connection.

@Wawa Skittletits will like your overlanding vehicle. They seem to be a very good choice for this endeavour
I will be in the Rothrock/Bald Eagle area on the May 8th and 9th! If you get the area let me know so we can meet maybe meet up, put faces with names but keep out 6ft of distance of course, lol. I will actully be on the Rothrock side of 322 but it is all pretty close together.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge

Vern629

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Central Pa
First Name
Vern
Last Name
Wheeler
That's unfortunate but luckily we are still able to use the state forests for hiking and fishing and other outdoor activities. Other states have closed roads, trail heads and general access to their state and national forest and parks.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@riss800

Actually a discussion on another website. I was posting info about camping season and a guy said he heard May 15th for State overnight camping.

We searched and found it further into the notice. All notices said May 8th. But if you go to the PADCNR page and read the notice...May 15th for camping and I believe June 12th for cabins and cottages.

Tentatively planning a dispersed camping trip in Bald Eagle and/or Rothrock for May 15th 16th.

Not sure about specifics, but I got 3 campsites on the list. Hoping to maybe get a scout of the spots for mud/water. It sure has been putting the water to the ground here.

Reactions: riss800

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Hello everyone, newbie to the forum here. As requested, I'll start with the basics...

Area of interest: primarily forests
Type of involvement: offroading and camping
Type of vehicle: Jeep Wrangler
Your ability to get out: varies, planning ahead usually works better but sometimes short notice works too
Any areas of interest: hiking, photography
Areas of outdoor interest: off-grid camping, hikes, waterfalls
Interest in meetups or group rides: yes

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Forgot to mention, while Michaux is local, I am interested in exploring other parts of the state. And not limited to state forests, national forests work too.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Made reservation for our Memorial Day camping trip. It will be with our travel trailer.

Was hoping to get a dispersed camping trip in this weekend...but got some stuff to finish up at my camp. And the wife wants to accompany my son and I on our first trip. So maybe in a weekend or 2 after Memorial Day.

Anyone else hitting the Pennsylvania Wilds in the coming weekends?

Reactions: riss800

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Yesterday, I drove through the Loyalsock State Forest region after two days of camping at Ricketts Glenn. Loyalsock has many little towns leftover from the old lumber harvesting days - mostly paved roads although some gravel too. The High Knob Overlook on Rt 87 is picturesque.

Driving to Shunck was fun - very old architecture. See Shunck photo below - it tells a story of days gone by.
IMG_1375.jpg

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

well we had a chance to get out for a drive and a some camping this past weekend in the Rothrock SF area. It was an easy drive all stone roads, since my son was with I was keeping it mild and quick. From what I saw Rothrock is nice place but we only just scratched the surface. IMG_3624.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Was curious if you made it out. I can not wait to head back down through there on my way to Bald Eagle.

We may be staying at the one large motorized campsite with our travel trailer in a few weekends. I really liked Rothrock from a forest standpoint. Lota of things to see. Firetowers and wild areas.

riss800

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Richard
Last Name
Risser
Member #

Was curious if you made it out. I can not wait to head back down through there on my way to Bald Eagle.

We may be staying at the one large motorized campsite with our travel trailer in a few weekends. I really liked Rothrock from a forest standpoint. Lota of things to see. Firetowers and wild areas.
We camped somewhere else close by with my brothers but on the way home we drove through the SF as we made our way back to the highway, 655 can be a boring drive between 322 and Mill Creek. I have done it many times, haha! I would like to explore the area more to see some of the sites that you are talking about.