First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Mikael,

We have some members based in Belgium. There will certainly be some answering in this thread. You can also look up in the OB Map, who is near you.

Greetings from Germany
Bjoern

Reactions: kMikaZu

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Local Expert, France, Belgium
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Hey Mikael, yes there are a few of us here, BE members. What region are you from? The map shows you near Charleroi. But there seems to be a cluster of members there that do not actually live there (as far as I know), my guess is that if you do not specify your home location it puts everyone near Charleroi.

LostinChaos

Rank I

Contributor III

Oostmalle, Malle, Belgium
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Falwell
Any members of Belgium here? I would like to meet possible travel company!

I will be moving there next month and will have a ways to go. I'VE lived in Arizona for the last few years and have recently enjoyed wheeling and offroading out here. What can I adjust to out there for overlanding. Where can I go m what's the rules with building your rigs, etc.

Reactions: El-Dracho

GeoCampers #4771

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Any members of Belgium here? I would like to meet possible travel company!

I will be moving there next month and will have a ways to go. I'VE lived in Arizona for the last few years and have recently enjoyed wheeling and offroading out here. What can I adjust to out there for overlanding. Where can I go m what's the rules with building your rigs, etc.
LostinChaos,

In terms of overlanding and off-road driving I'm afraid Belgium is one of the worst places. It is almost everywhere forbidden to drive other than on pavement. Forest is a no go not on Flanders not in Walonia. The best option is France to do some Soft-Road driving.
In terms of building a rig. If you have it on a Belgian license plate it is simple, you are basically not allowed to change anything on your vehicle not even a different tire size. You will see cars that are modified (and sometimes very heavily), but most of they spent a day changing the car back to "original" before going to the yearly technical inspection.
Some care with a sertain age are allowed to have some modifications however (it is Belgium after all). But it is most of the time a grey area.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Carl,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Look around here and you will find good information about overlanding. Also some good tips for Europe, e.g. POIs and tracks on the OB Map. We also have always nice meetings in Europe. Our annual Spring Meetup was already, but we still have some meetups planned for this year and this in different regions. Have a look at the Rally Points, there you can filter by OB regions, Belgium belongs to MidEurope. Here you can find the upcoming MidEurope meetups and events.

In terms of unpaved tracks we are partly limited in Europe, but even here you will find routes that are legally passable. Also, when camping, be aware that wild camping is strictly forbidden in most European countries and disregard can lead to high penalties. However, there are many very beautiful and also natural camping sites. Also for this you will find some POIs in the map.

If you have any questions or need help, please get in touch, I'm happy to help.

Greetings from Germany,
Bjoern

LostinChaos

Rank I

Contributor III

Oostmalle, Malle, Belgium
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Falwell
So, no disconnects, leveling kits, 37s, long travel adjustments, regearing or lockers if it has a belgian plate..
How do I obtain a not belgian plate?
Or do I just build 2 chassis?

I know Belgium is small and there's isn't much of anything for wheeling, I'm wanting to go outside of the country for multi-day camping and offroading.

LostinChaos,

In terms of overlanding and off-road driving I'm afraid Belgium is one of the worst places. It is almost everywhere forbidden to drive other than on pavement. Forest is a no go not on Flanders not in Walonia. The best option is France to do some Soft-Road driving.
In terms of building a rig. If you have it on a Belgian license plate it is simple, you are basically not allowed to change anything on your vehicle not even a different tire size. You will see cars that are modified (and sometimes very heavily), but most of they spent a day changing the car back to "original" before going to the yearly technical inspection.
Some care with a sertain age are allowed to have some modifications however (it is Belgium after all). But it is most of the time a grey area.

Lupus_ravus

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bornem, Antwerp, Belgium
First Name
Yjan
Last Name
Van Dijck
Member #

So, no disconnects, leveling kits, 37s, long travel adjustments, regearing or lockers if it has a belgian plate..

I know Belgium is small and there's isn't much of anything for wheeling, I'm wanting to go outside of the country for multi-day camping and offroading.

LostinChaos,

Hi there.. like Geo already told here ..
Noting much is allowed in Belgium and they will send you home if they don’t know it at technical inspection..
A completely standard care .. I needed a year to get it on the road and passing inspection just because they don’t know it .. if you have an older car .. there’s more possible with in limits … and yes if you see a modified car they bring it back to original before inspection..

GeoCampers #4771

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Non of the above is legal in Belgium if you want to drive on the road. You could get away with regearing and lockers since this is not visible :tongueclosed:
If you have a pickup and a Belgian VAT nr and can proof you need the pickup for work, you can register it as "light truck" pay almost no taxes (€150/year) and are allowed to do some modifications (lager tires, suspension upgrade, and other small stuff)
Or alternatively buy a car of a certain age (don't know exactly the year) and than you can do some small mods as well. Afterall it is Belgium were for every rule we have at least 5 exceptions.

If you are resident in Belgium, it is not possible to have a different plate. Maybe if you bring the car over from the US you could keep your US plate in certain circumstances but that is not my expertise.
In Europe the country you have you residence in will determine the license plate and the adjected rules and taxes that apply for that country and car. Belgium is very strickt in what can and can't be done to a car, but the taxes are relatively low, the Netherlands have a very liberal policy on car modification, but the taxes are VERY high. Germany is somewhat in between.
Oh and regarding the "building" of 2 chassis, you are NOT allowed to build anything yourself here in Belgium and can not have 1 plate on 2 cars eighter. 1 plate 1 car.

There are 2 parties that will be involved if you modify your car. The technical inspection (yearly) and the insurance. What most people do is bring the car back to "stock" to pass the technical inspection and if they pass they put all modification back on. The problem ten is insurance. If in an accident with serious damage or injuries, the insurance company will investigate your car and if they find anything that is not allowed, they will not cover the damage or injuries leaving you to pay everything ,yours and the 3th parties damage and costs. It is mainly this that posses a problem or a risk.