Member Rides

• HTML tutorial

Spork

Rank 0

Contributor I

I found this site while searching for local (SoCal) groups to do mild 4x4 trails, camping, exploring, etc. A lot of the guys around here just want to do hard core rock crawling and I'm kind of bored with that. I grew up in the mountains and woods and prefer to wheel in those environments.
I spend time between SoCal (where the $ is) and northern NV (where my heart is) just east of Tahoe and the wheeling up there is incredible.
Hope to join up on one of the Overland Bound trips a some point.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Well you have a little more room in the cab than I do AND the trailer def. is a must...I toyed with the idea of a FJ80 BUT I am a Jeep guy and cant get away from them...lol We also have cut down out supplies to conserve room...
We have a GC that I daily drive but I'll never give up my Wrangler. I've looked at 80's and 4Runners. But in the end, I'm a topless Jeep guy. And yah, hoping to score a trailer this summer. But we've grown accustomed to traveling in a Wrangler, and pack smartly.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I found this site while searching for local (SoCal) groups to do mild 4x4 trails, camping, exploring, etc. A lot of the guys around here just want to do hard core rock crawling and I'm kind of bored with that. I grew up in the mountains and woods and prefer to wheel in those environments.
I spend time between SoCal (where the $ is) and northern NV (where my heart is) just east of Tahoe and the wheeling up there is incredible.
Hope to join up on one of the Overland Bound trips a some point.
A lot of people around my area are into rock crawling too. Not really my thing. I like to get out and explore. But to each their own. I have a lot of respect for rock crawling rigs. But mine is built a bit more tame since I spend a lot of time on the highway, as well as the trails. I'd rather go around a rock than over it. One of the great things about this forum is the support system, no matter what you drive. It's a great community and growing every day.

Reactions: 94YJBeaver

94YJBeaver

Rank II

Advocate II

A lot of people around my area are into rock crawling too. Not really my thing. I like to get out and explore. But to each their own. I have a lot of respect for rock crawling rigs. But mine is built a bit more tame since I spend a lot of time on the highway, as well as the trails. I'd rather go around a rock than over it. One of the great things about this forum is the support system, no matter what you drive. It's a great community and growing every day.
Yeah there is alot of people/clubs in my area that into the rock crawling/hard core trails and that's what I built my Jeep for (well mild core since its my daily driver) but I have been into watching more and more Overlanding videos and it seems like that's the way we are headed. We do belong to a Jeep club here, but there are a few of us that are into Overlanding now and we are now planning trips and have started a new group for like minded people.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Yeah there is alot of people/clubs in my area that into the rock crawling/hard core trails and that's what I built my Jeep for (well mild core since its my daily driver) but I have been into watching more and more Overlanding videos and it seems like that's the way we are headed. We do belong to a Jeep club here, but there are a few of us that are into Overlanding now and we are now planning trips and have started a new group for like minded people.
One of the beautiful things about a Jeep, is as your interests change, it's easy to modify or de-modify it with ease.

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

The old Jeep stranded me again. Cooling system again (I've replaced every piece of the cooling system on that thing at least 3 times). I couldn't deal with it anymore. So...

I went out and bought this fella yesterday! It's so freaking rad. I've never had a new vehicle before. I am stoked to say the least.

2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road in Blazing Blue Pearl

IMG_8743.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@benmmc I sure hope this doesn't delate your balloon, but from what I've read, there sure have been a lot of people having problems with the new Taco! Several new folks on T4R.org sold or traded theirs after a very short time and got 4Runners.

Congratulations, I hope! Beautiful looking truck!

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

@benmmc I sure hope this doesn't delate your balloon, but from what I've read, there sure have been a lot of people having problems with the new Taco! Several new folks on T4R.org sold or traded theirs after a very short time and got 4Runners.

Congratulations, I hope! Beautiful looking truck!
I love it so far. Love the way it rides, handles, etc. What kind of problems should I be looking for?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I love it so far. Love the way it rides, handles, etc. What kind of problems should I be looking for?
Transmission hunting constantly, vibrations at 30-40 MPH,and slipping transmission were some that I remember most.

Definitely not trying to rain on your parade. I just wanted you to be informed.

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Transmission hunting constantly, vibrations at 30-40 MPH,and slipping transmission were some that I remember most.

Definitely not trying to rain on your parade. I just wanted you to be informed.
Cool. I haven't experienced that yet, but I'll be aware. I'm on reddit more than anything else, and the only complaints I heard there was that tall people don't fit well. I'm 5'9" so no problems there! Everything else I read there was positive for the 2016's. Haven't looked on the other yota forums in a while though (I've owned two other Toyota 4x4's as well – yotatech was the forum I used to visit back then).

I know it's the first year of a new platform though, and I figured there may be issues, so I got the 100k mi warranty. I feel really good about it though. Maybe it's because I've driven crappy old vehicles my whole life (and the last 6 years in a pretty rough-riding Jeep) that anything is way better to me. Anywho, driving it is making me happy, and I know it is super capable. I'm stoked to be driving a truck again! I'm already getting the favors being asked... :)

Reactions: r_vdb and Steve

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

I haven't seen any Four Wheel Campers yet on OB, so I think it's time to share my rig. When we got our camper in Jan 2015, we were life-long campground tent campers. Now the world of overlanding has become an addiction! What a blast to explore & get away from campgrounds.
FWC Hawk shell, 2004 F150
Anza-Borrego

Sent from my SM-T900 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Last edited:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I haven't seen any Four Wheel Campers yet on OB, so I think it's time to share my rig. When we got our camper in Jan 2015, we were life-long campground tent campers. Now the world of overlanding has become an addiction! What a blast to explore & get away from campgrounds.
FWC Hawk shell, 2004 F150
Anza-Borrego

Sent from my SM-T900 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Nice set up.

Reactions: O.Dfj and DaveL

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

It doesn't appear that I've put my rigs up in this thread. I'm sure a lot of you have seen it by now.

Running Land Between the Lakes with our recent group outing. Slid off sideways and needed the assistance of a MAXAS traction board to pop out of the slop rut.
5c55f022-2ef9-4b56-aa5f-820b6f5f8f05.JPG

One of the many creek crossings on the Tennessee Dirt Devil.
12931115_10106951974239759_3206639640287095626_n_zpsjxnwdgdk.JPG

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

Hello again....another invite (lucky for me)....this time with Graham Allen from the SUV group in his Mitsubishi Triton...a big thanks to him and Troy from 4WD Training...Noosa to Rainbow Beach ! enjoy

Attachments

Reactions: 9Mike2