Member Rides

• HTML tutorial

Blacksmith Scott

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

View attachment 56702 View attachment 56698 View attachment 56699 Hey everyone! Travis and Heather here! We're new to OB community. We leave in just 2 weeks for our 3.5 month long overland journey! If you have any advice or recommendations on secluded areas in the Colorado/Utah/Arizona areas let us know! Here are a few pics of our rig so far!
I see a lawn mower in the trailer. That is a unique item to overland with. Equip, Explore and Mow!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I'm new and still finding my way around on Overland Bound but having a good time doing it! :blush:

My main travelling rig is an '04 Jeep LJ.

I also have a few other Jeeps that see year round daily use.

'03 TJ

'89 XJ

'88 MJ

This all keeps me busy (which is good) and I'm also working on an off road trailer ...

Here's my trailer build thread ...
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/pco6s-off-road-trailer-build.15306/

Last edited:

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Here is what my family uses right now.
2009 GMC sierra 2' level in front 2" add a leaf in back 33 inch tires also my daily driverNOBO.jpg
2018 NOBO 16.5 "expedition style" camper
I know its not really a robust camper but we love it and have used it a few times already
I have tried taking it down some rough un-serviced roads and so far so good

Sorry guys I have no idea how to turn the image

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

It's my daily as well so I went with 265/75r16 and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app
Same here. It was a great setup.

I’ve gone taller on my ‘03 4runner with a 3” dobinsons lift. But I’m honestly not sure if I’m going to up my tire size at all. That setup with the 265’s always worked super well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRoofless_garage

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Carolina
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Same here. It was a great setup.

I’ve gone taller on my ‘03 4runner with a 3” dobinsons lift. But I’m honestly not sure if I’m going to up my tire size at all. That setup with the 265’s always worked super well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do like the 3-4" lift with more gap between fenders and tires. Did you have any drivetrain issues from lifting over 3"? I had 285's and a 4" on a TJ I had and it was nice, but the gas mileage wasn't.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I do like the 3-4" lift with more gap between fenders and tires. Did you have any drivetrain issues from lifting over 3"? I had 285's and a 4" on a TJ I had and it was nice, but the gas mileage wasn't.

Well, the 4runner is still sitting at the shop getting the post-lift alignment, so I honestly haven't had much time for any drivetrain issues to surface yet. Only driven it once to the alignment shop. That said, I did UCA's, diff drop (even though the necessity of a diff drop is much disputed for Toyotas), extended rear swaybar links, relocated front swaybar, extended rear brake lines, and extended rear bump stops. Most drivetrain issues or component binding issues people reference end up being fixed by one of those things, so I did all of them proactively. I didn't have any vibes on the test drive either. I don't expect any major issues to form. If any, it would be a rear axle alignment issue, fixable with an adjustable panhard.

I'm still on stock 265's and will stay that way for a while. Biggest I'd go would be skinny tall 255/80/17's. I like the 285's and 305's, but not willing to sacrifice gas mileage that much.

Reactions: NRoofless_garage

NRoofless_garage

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Carolina
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Well, the 4runner is still sitting at the shop getting the post-lift alignment, so I honestly haven't had much time for any drivetrain issues to surface yet. Only driven it once to the alignment shop. That said, I did UCA's, diff drop (even though the necessity of a diff drop is much disputed for Toyotas), extended rear swaybar links, relocated front swaybar, extended rear brake lines, and extended rear bump stops. Most drivetrain issues or component binding issues people reference end up being fixed by one of those things, so I did all of them proactively. I didn't have any vibes on the test drive either. I don't expect any major issues to form. If any, it would be a rear axle alignment issue, fixable with an adjustable panhard.

I'm still on stock 265's and will stay that way for a while. Biggest I'd go would be skinny tall 255/80/17's. I like the 285's and 305's, but not willing to sacrifice gas mileage that much.
That's some good planning ahead. I came to the taco from a Jeep so all these small things were new to me. I do miss solid axles but the Toyotas seem to be solid once you get them dialed in. Post a picture when it's done at the shop- I would love to see it. Those skinny talls look good- like the 2500's with the taller skinny tires and a topper with rails.

Airjammer

Rank 0

Traveler I

2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad
6 spd Manual
Currently on stock rims and tires

Skid Plate :
TRD Pro Aluminum

Suspension:
F: OME Nitro Charger Sport Coilover shocks w/ 888 Springs
R: OME Nitro Charger Sport rear shocks w/ OME Dakar Leaf springs / Medium Load

I gained a just under 3" of suspension lift w/the rear sitting slightly higher. 500lbs levels it out nicely.

I want complete functionality with my suspension so I refuse to use spacers (however) , I have a 1/4" trim packer ready to install on the drivers side front to compensate for the Toyota "lean".

The ride before the suspension upgrade was quite good. After adding the OME, there was a very noticeable difference in ride and handling. Dampening is awesome and it just feels a lot more planted without being to much more rigid.

I just installed TRD Pro Grille. (earlier photo so not installed yet)

IMG_0592.JPG

Future upgrades:

265/75/16 AT tires???

or

Tall Skinny AT tires :

255/75/16 or 255/70/17 .... More options with the 17" rim but more of an investment. Although, this will help gain an in or so of "true" ground clearance.

Softopper in gray or black.

Possibly - Bolt on Sliders

This is my DD so I don't need much more, I am one of those highly functional yet minimalist overlanders.

IMG_0603.JPG

Last edited:

Warreng

Rank 0

Traveler I

Getting my truck dialed in for desert season and some future Over-landing, adventures. After buying my truck used and abused in February I started going through everything and had to replace some parts so I upgraded the front end a with after market upper control arms, and then replaced the shocks and went with something a little better then the stock Rancho's. Everything suspension wise I'm hoping will make my life a little better on and off road.

Cognito upper control arms with Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks, custom rack made by Coin Jar Racing, in San Marcos, and Tuff Stuff Ranger Overland 3 person tent.

Still have plenty to add and will post when I have more done.
tent.jpg upperarms.jpg