Member Rides

• HTML tutorial

p38

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

I thank you. This began as a rebuild/restoration. The jeep was a gift from my father when I was in high school. My first off-road experience was to get it stuck in the river. About 2 years ago I pulled it out of my dad's carport, got it running, and scared my wife when it popped out of 2nd on a steep downhill. She said, and I quote: "fix it". Ever the obedient husband, I rolled it into the shop, pulled out the tools, and started to work - sort of. Actually, it was more like; grown men with tools drinking beer. It truly did start as a restoration, but after a couple "Why do that when you can do this?", what you see in the last photo is the result.

Reactions: rooster_sauce

rooster_sauce

Rank III

Advocate II

I thank you. This began as a rebuild/restoration. The jeep was a gift from my father when I was in high school. My first off-road experience was to get it stuck in the river. About 2 years ago I pulled it out of my dad's carport, got it running, and scared my wife when it popped out of 2nd on a steep downhill. She said, and I quote: "fix it". Ever the obedient husband, I rolled it into the shop, pulled out the tools, and started to work - sort of. Actually, it was more like; grown men with tools drinking beer. It truly did start as a restoration, but after a couple "Why do that when you can do this?", what you see in the last photo is the result.
Nice! I know what you mean though, about the "fixing it" with beer. I have to replace the clutch in my jeep and I already see a 70/30 ratio of staring at it drinking vs fixing it when I do it. Regardless, I am mildly jealous. That's a clean, fun looking rig.

Owencavlys

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate I

Centennial, Clorado
Member #

Here are some photos of my ride. Just purchased a couple weeks ago. We did a slightly offroad trip to the coast.

Haven't done any significant mods yet. I think sliders are the first priority, then probably a roof rack. Not sure what after that.

It's a 2010 T4R Trail Edition, with a 3" Toytec lift on it and Bilstein shocks.
Fish_Rock_Vinyard_Runner.jpg

Fish_Rock_Runner_Profile.jpg
Fish_Rock_Fender.jpg

Last edited:

p38

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Wampa,

I have to admit, the project got bigger than originally intended, and the budget went out the window. But every time I climb in it - I can't stop smiling. If you ever find your way to the Napa Valley - the key is in it, take it for a drive.

Reactions: rooster_sauce

p38

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

I see you cut the fenders in the rear of the jeep. Just wondering if the body of the jeep is the same befor and after you cut the fenders.
Thanks Kevin
Kevin,

The body was actually stretched. We built a new frame using 2 x 4 square tube, used a stock front cowl - we did bob the fenders. then took two bodies and did a stretch at the door/front seats and an additional stretch aft of the rear wheel wells. Then we rolled new aft body panels out of 1/8 aluminum and resized the wheel wells to allow for the 37" tires. Total stretch was about 17", 10" at the doors and 7" at the aft wheel wells. New center to center length at the axles is 102".

Reactions: 4Runn3r

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Picked up another one.. I have a problem.

2000 DII with a (if you hadn't already guessed) blown head gasket. The PO's wife drove it for about 4 miles in the red. And that means I got it for cheap :)

Where did you find this beast? ;-)