Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Caddy
Member #

Hi Everyone,
Been a observer (stalker) for quite a while and decided to finally join!
1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
ROD_3566.JPG
IMG_20191019_183821_336.jpg
2) Location - Colorado Springs, CO
3) Rig - 2012 Jeep Wrangler
4) Overlanding Experience Background - I'd say Intermediate. Completed the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route in September 2019 with a great group of friends as my first major trip.

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

Hi all,

we are happy and excited to be part of this great community.
I would love to learn from your experiences and and special sights.
We were travelling in an old Mercedes G-Class we bought from Swiss Military. As we are now 3 we needed to upgrade to a 4 seated car :-)

1) Pictures:
Here our Mercedes 230GE from 1990:

View attachment 125827

View attachment 125829

and our new project - Mercedes G320 from 1996:

View attachment 125828

2) Germany, Munich area
3) Mercedes G320, LWB, W463, 1996
4) Bulgaria, Turkey
Welcome from Western Washington

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

Howdy, I'm new to the "overlanding" thing, most of my previous experience with the great outdoors is tent and hammock camping, but my wife and I are looking into travel trailers to take with us that have a little more amenities, but are tough enough for crappy back roads.
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Houston, Texas
Your budget will dictate a lot. I'm currently changing / modifying two trailers (yes at the same time). One is an old (1960) Siesta 16' travel (trailer too big and too weak). The other is a small utility trailer, it's tough enough, just getting it set up for camping. The small one will be for the rough stuff, the larger one will be for trips with the wife, and dirt roads. Overland custom built trailer look awesome, but I have a kid in school and too much life to pay for.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hi from Las Vegas, I also just learned about overlanding about 3 months ago, and then a month ago I bought my first vehicle that was not a front wheel drive. A stock 07 GX 470. It is absolutely the most enjoyable vehicle I ever drove, even though its really really good at getting really bad gas mileage. My accord has sat since I bought it. Ive hit a few trails in the area, Mt Potosi Canyon rd to Good Springs/Jean, some Lovell canyon trails. I had to turn around on rocky gap road about a mile or two back the Lovell Canyon side, clearance issues I think, plus im new to this and using the factory skids and scraping makes me a bit anxious and whiny. Im just always excited with just about anything about it. Im excited to listen to the silence, see the darkness, cook over an open fire, toot in a tent, see the views, really see it set in that she has to crap in a hole, change more spares, watch my dog enjoy the outdoors, meet new people, relax. Thats Dioji with the GX on Lake Mead, looking forward to getting camping gear so I can go camp right there.

View attachment 125761View attachment 125762View attachment 125763View attachment 125764
Welcome. Check out the Las Vegas thread. They have some things happening. If you have any questions you can contact me or @Narbob the regional director

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi Everyone,
Been a observer (stalker) for quite a while and decided to finally join!
2) Location - Colorado Springs, CO
3) Rig - 2012 Jeep Wrangler
4) Overlanding Experience Background - I'd say Intermediate. Completed the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route in September 2019 with a great group of friends as my first major trip.
Welcome from Denver!
How did you like the discovery route?

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
New guy checking in from WV. I've been building a Jeep for a couple of years now and have taken it from WV to the North East a few times. I'm slowly getting back into Overlanding and working on modifying the Jeep to fit those needs. The Jeep has been great so far and I'm looking forward to more trips with it.

IMG_0837.jpeg

2) Location: USA/WV
3) Rig: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice to Intermediate. It's been a long time since I've done much Overlanding.

MichaelClark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Silverton, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Clark
Member #

D59C3EEC-625A-42A4-8804-4640BB36A34E.jpeg
Hi everyone,
I live in Silveton Oregon, a small town a few miles away Silver Creek Falls state park. Silver Falls is Oregon’s largest state park and home to ten of the most amazing waterfalls I’ve ever seen.

Last year after my VW Gti engine blew, I decided to go a different route and started looking at trucks. I love full size trucks, but decided for doing adventures and lots of trips to the mountain, that the Tacoma would be a great choice.

I have a 2017 TRD off-road Tacoma that I’ve been enjoying quite a bit. Last winter I took it up to Mt Hood countless times to go snowboarding and it performed great.

It’s also been a great vehicle to load up the mt bikes and just take off.

The truck has already seen many adventures, but mostly all on road. I’ve gone to Grand Canyon with 5 people, and other short trips with my wife.

After much research I just purchased the Freespirit rooftop tent and also got the extra thermal liner. I plan to do many snow camping trips this winter. This spring I plan to start what I would consider some short and longer overland trips.

Anyway, happy to be here and part of this community.

Michael

MichaelClark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Silverton, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Hello! My name is Ryan. I have been a bushcraft and hammock camper for a few years. I love going out in the woods and make camps and chill with a hammock, tarp and a small assortment of tools and cordage. I have recently realized that my Outback has more capabilities than I thought if I invest a bit. I recently picked up a roof top tent and and have the bug to go out and see what there is to see. Saving up for wheels and tires. Had encouragement that it can do what I need it to do from another member, so I am STOKED!
Subaru’s are awesome. I’ve been seeing more and more of the with lifts and more capable tires. Best part is that you will be able to go much further between gas stops.

Welcome, I’m excited to hear how it goes outfitting the Subaru and seeing your adventures.

MichaelClark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Silverton, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Hey everyone,
Signed up for my OB membership this weekend at the Overland Expo 2019. I’m brand new to overlanding, went camping a good bit as a kid though and wanted to get back into it. I just picked up a 2019 Tacoma long bed and don’t have much in the way of gear yet but looking forward to getting started. Very open to advice and recommendations!

- Holland
I have a 2017 four door long bed and love it! I can go to the hardware store one day, snowboarding the next, then head out camping!
Only things I’ve done so far:
1. Molle rack system behind seats for way more storage and options.
2. Took off TRD 4x4 stickers, might replace at some point with custom TRD decals.
3.Yakima bed rack and cargo holder. Just took off the cargo holder so that I could add:
4. Freespirit 55” rooftop tent.

Been looking at bed racks for a while, and I’ll likely be switching out all the Yakima components for more heavy duty overland specific stuff.

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Hey everyone! Just signed up for the free account (looking into the paid options now). Looking to get my 3 boys (7, 3, 2) and the wife outdoors more often. Hard being in Sarasota, FL where it is SO HOT all the time. Went with some neighbors to Ocala National Forest last year with our oldest boys and had a great time. Looking for some more adventures we can take the family on in the surrounding area.

MWilli12

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Longview, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Williamson
Member #

Fro
Hello,

Rig: 1978 CJ 7
Experience: Grew up camping and hunting/fishing in the outdoors. Love to travel and have mostly traveled outside of the US. Just got my Jeep late last year and just “finished” it last weekend. My wife and I are going on your first overland trip Thursday to Ouachita National Forest for a four day shake down trip. Looking forward to exploring and traveling across the US for awhile! Anyone know of some great camp sites off the trail in the Ouachita National Forest?
From Longview as well! Family did the trip up to Albert Pike and the Ouachita around the beginning of Oct. Currently working on plans for a trip up to Devils Den.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Mike (@MWilli12) , welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

overmadlad

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
a
Last Name
k
New to the overland lifestyle, didn't know what it was until my friend started building his own rack equipped with rtt and all the other gear. I thought it looked awesome and have been searching the webz for more rigs setup like his. And that's when I stumbled upon the term "overland" and its been all down hill (pun) from there!

Rig: Stock 2018 Ram Rebel
Experience: Novice is a understatement, but I love it!

IMG_2972.jpg

WeGoPlacez

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
Jessica
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HBA
Hey we’re Justin & Jessica or better known as JJ

Current Vehicle: 2016 Jeep Rubicon (Ovie)

Experience: Experienced backpackers and solo off-road adventurers. Skilled in maps, recovery gear, off-road driving, vehicle repairs, camping, conversation, and finding adventure!

Attachments

MichaelClark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Silverton, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Hey everyone! Just signed up for the free account (looking into the paid options now). Looking to get my 3 boys (7, 3, 2) and the wife outdoors more often. Hard being in Sarasota, FL where it is SO HOT all the time. Went with some neighbors to Ocala National Forest last year with our oldest boys and had a great time. Looking for some more adventures we can take the family on in the surrounding area.
When I was younger and naive I figured kids would slow me down from doing cool thing and living my dreams. However, quickly realized they are the best motivators to live with passion and intention and to pass on the love for outdoors living to the fullest!
I’m sure you will figure out ways to have a blast in the heat, or to escape it.
Welcome :)

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello @overmadlad, welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. Keep an eye out for a reoccurring meet up in Gilbert. It typically happens towards the end of the month and given that holidays fall around that time of the month for the next two months there may be a break in the meet up schedule.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

Reactions: Kent R