Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

New guy here. Live in AZ. Don't currently have an overland vehicle, as I don't know anything about it
Technically any vehicle can be an overland vehicle. As long as its vehicle dependent travel and you're enjoying what nature has to offer. You could overland a Honda Ruckus if you wanted to. I'm sure you'll love whatever overland rig you decide to get. You've definitely found the right community to help you make that decision if you need it. Welcome!

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Any vehicles you would recommend?
Some popular ones would be a Jeep Wrangler or a Cherokee, Toyota FJ, Toyota Tacoma, or a 4Runner. I drive a Jeep Cherokee. It's the only overland/off-road vehicle I've ever had, but I know that Toyotas are really reliable. I would say to think about a vehicle you've always wanted and think about if you had it, what would you want to do with it? Casual overlanding and camping? Maybe be able to handle some more intense trails. Rock Crawling? When you think of yourself overlanding/off-roading, what do you picture youself driving?

Reactions: Gaingreane

coreyinfo

Rank 0

Traveler I

Welcome! Great seeing another LR4 in the group. There are lots of great threads on here with some LR4 builds (including my own) and some folks have been through the whole journey of 18" vs. 19" tires. Let me know if you have any questions, it's been an ongoing discussion. :-D
@finlayforprez two questions for you: 1) Are you still based out of UT? 2) If so, where would I go to find out about meet ups and potential trail rides in the area? I'm sure the meet up information is here somewhere, so I'll keep exploring the forum.

Reactions: finlayforprez

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
I'm not really a car person, honestly. I would picture me driving an older defender, but I wouldn't even know where too look for one.

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

Technically any vehicle can be an overland vehicle. As long as its vehicle dependent travel and you're enjoying what nature has to offer. You could overland a Honda Ruckus if you wanted to. I'm sure you'll love whatever overland rig you decide to get. You've definitely found the right community to help you make that decision if you need it. Welcome!
Speaking if Ruckus, Have you seen http://lostwithmike.weebly.com/scoot ? This guy is amazing.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

I'm not really a car person, honestly. I would picture me driving an older defender, but I wouldn't even know where too look for one.
Unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea the best place to look for a Defender. My only recommendation for that would be craigslist I suppose. Defenders are popular too. And there seems to be a pretty strong defender community out there. I've no doubt if you check out the forums you'll be able to ask the question or find a thread in the right place. Like Gaingreane said, there's a lot of info and experience on here.

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

I have not seen this. Is this guy traveling across Mexico on his Ruckus? I'm gonna have to check out his blog some more. Looks like a sweet adventure he's on.
That seems to be where he is right now. I followed his first Ruckus adventure when he went from virginia to the florida keys, then from there to deadhorse, alaska and down the west coast into mexico, finally ending up back in virginia. The story and pictures are amazing. check out the archives.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

That seems to be where he is right now. I followed his first Ruckus adventure when he went from virginia to the florida keys, then from there to deadhorse, alaska and down the west coast into mexico, finally ending up back in virginia. The story and pictures are amazing. check out the archives.
That sounds awesome! I'm definitely gonna have to check him out.

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

That sounds awesome! I'm definitely gonna have to check him out.
This is the guy that got me really looking into Overlanding. The wife and I have since purchased Honda Groms that we are setting up as trail bikes to further our adventures. I'm hoping to start our Adventure trailer soon that will carry the "Kids" and camping essentials. I want to mount a cage over it to carry a RTT as well.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

This is the guy that got me really looking into Overlanding. The wife and I have since purchased Honda Groms that we are setting up as trail bikes to further our adventures. I'm hoping to start our Adventure trailer soon that will carry the "Kids" and camping essentials. I want to mount a cage over it to carry a RTT as well.
That sounds great. Groms are great bikes. And they're nice and cheap too. I've actually considered getting a bike for overlanding also. Not really sure what I would et though.

Gaingreane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City, Mo.
Member #

That sounds great. Groms are great bikes. And they're nice and cheap too. I've actually considered getting a bike for overlanding also. Not really sure what I would et though.
The Jeep is the main rig, these are gonna be more for the fun on trails and such. They get about 130 MPG, and so far can go about any place I've been willing to take them. We put dual sport tires on them and couldn't be happier.Inked20170310_094521_LI.jpg

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The Jeep is the main rig, these are gonna be more for the fun on trails and such. They get about 130 MPG, and so far can go about any place I've been willing to take them. We put dual sport tires on them and couldn't be happier.View attachment 19812
Basically, you made them into Yamaha TW200's. Sweet... They do look like fun.