Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Hi Everybody,

Just another Newbie signing up.

We live in Phoenix, Arizona
We just recently purchased a 1998 Toyota 4Runner to build into an Overland vehicle.
I have over 40 yrs experience with camping/4 wheeling, 4x4 clubs, Treading Lightly and Offroading in the United States and Turkey.

MarioDidIt

Rank III

Advocate II

Reactions: finlayforprez

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Hi folks,

Just joined in as my wife got a snazzy laminated card on her Jeep at a Costco in North Edmonton.

My wife and I have been avid overlanders for about 5 years, and have explored a good sized chunk of North America, primarily during a great trip up to Prudhoe Bay, AK in 2015.

My Overland rig of choice is my 2011 Triump Tiger 800XC, and my wife travels in our Rubicon Unlimited. We typically try to convoy most places as it allows us all the benefits of "travelling alone" without all the risks. Plus, after a hard day's ride it's REALLY hard to beat having a hot shower and a soft bed in the jeep, a luxury most Moto Travellers only get if they pay for hotels. And the final boon is it means our two pups can join in.

I'm a member on a few other forums (ADVRider, Alberta Dual Sport, Reddit Overlanding, as well as Expedition Portal though I've not posted there in some time). As the 'new' overlanding season is upon us I look forward to joining in this community. I'm currently working on a graduate degree so our spare time and funding is a bit tight for big trips, but there's plenty of Alberta and BC to explore on the occasional long weekend!

We've made a few videos of our trips but I'll get to know the rules and regs before sharing them here.

Thanks to whomever left us the laminated card, I hadn't heard of this resource till we got it!
Regards
IJW

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Hi everyone- another newbie checking it. Jeep1.jpg

I've got a '76 Jeep CJ-7 that has been gathering a lot of dust until recently. This is me on the Fordyce Creek Trail- but I haven't done much since the kids were born. I'm looking forward to getting out more, now that the kids are old enough to come along!

I'm located in eastern Contra Costa County. So all the trails in California off of Highway 4, 120, 108, 50 and 80 are pretty close to me. I love the Pinecrest area and have explored a bit around Lake Alpine. I've also explored Red Mountain (outside Shaver Lake) a little. I look forward to doing more.

I'm hoping to hook up with others, as I don't feel as comfortable going solo as I used to- now that I'm bringing the kids along a lot of the time.

I've also got a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. I use it to tow the Jeep up to the trail head sometimes, and sometimes I just take the truck. There's a LOT more room for gear in the bed of the truck- depends on how rough the trails we're travelling are expected to be.

Randy

Last edited:

justin marsh

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Miriam Vale QLD Australia
Member #

Hi folks,

Just joined in as my wife got a snazzy laminated card on her Jeep at a Costco in North Edmonton.

My wife and I have been avid overlanders for about 5 years, and have explored a good sized chunk of North America, primarily during a great trip up to Prudhoe Bay, AK in 2015.

My Overland rig of choice is my 2011 Triump Tiger 800XC, and my wife travels in our Rubicon Unlimited. We typically try to convoy most places as it allows us all the benefits of "travelling alone" without all the risks. Plus, after a hard day's ride it's REALLY hard to beat having a hot shower and a soft bed in the jeep, a luxury most Moto Travellers only get if they pay for hotels. And the final boon is it means our two pups can join in.

I'm a member on a few other forums (ADVRider, Alberta Dual Sport, Reddit Overlanding, as well as Expedition Portal though I've not posted there in some time). As the 'new' overlanding season is upon us I look forward to joining in this community. I'm currently working on a graduate degree so our spare time and funding is a bit tight for big trips, but there's plenty of Alberta and BC to explore on the occasional long weekend!

We've made a few videos of our trips but I'll get to know the rules and regs before sharing them here.

Thanks to whomever left us the laminated card, I hadn't heard of this resource till we got it!
Regards
IJW
welcome to the faimly

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Hi,

I'm Vincent

1) Olympic Peninsula, WA
2) 2008 Rubicon for a few more days and a BMW R1200GS - Soon only the 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 (eventually 5.9L Cummins)
3) Some Overland, easy rocks, nothing major. Lots of mechanical and electrical experience.

For some reason, life keeps interrupting my plans.

Reactions: Steve

OwenMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Parker
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

ey everybody, I'm Parker!

Long time reader of the threads and OB in general on their social media and website!

1. I am located in Las Vegas NV.
2. My rig is a 1987 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon. It's from the days before the AWD that we are familiar with. His name is FrankenWagon and he is an FWD with a center diff. And 4xHi and Low. It is also the 5MT and a 1.8 Carb motor.
3. He is pretty much stock right now as it's MY first rig but I grew up with my dad's K5 on the trails in Colorado where I am from. I am considerably less outdoorsy than I was at one point in my life (a Boy Scout until I was 18) but along with my two kids i plan on getting back out when and where I can.

The reason I chose the Subaru was...
First it only cost a couple hundred $$ that I paid a friend who needed some help paying for his sons dental work and needed to get rid of the car. I can't sit by and not help when I have the ability to so I killed two birds with one stone for him.

Second... you don't see too many older Soobies crashing the trails so it is kinda different.

Sadly since it is a little less common and has the 1.8 Carb, parts are harder to come by unless they come from Australia where they are pretty common still. I will post pics as I get started turning it into my doomsday mobile. Any advice would be absolutely welcome.

20170311_121159.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using OB Talk mobile app

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
We used to own one of those back in the early '90's. Great car and it had lots of cool features on it for it's price and era. Ours was that dark blue and I still remember it's first repair - front cv boots and clutch at 100k.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Scott T

Rank I

Contributor III

Virginia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Taber
Member #

IMG_2640 2.jpg Hello from Virginia!!
Rig: 2014 Tacoma
Overlanding Experience Background: I've spent a lot of time over the years trying to get lost in some of the National Forests out here looking for places to camp and hike.

Last edited:

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

Names Zach. Springfield, MO

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited, member 4157.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Hmmmm yes. I enjoy the dichotomy of the truck against the beanie baby background. Signifying, of course, mans internal struggle for freedom from the mundane yet a desire for the familiar. [emoji851] [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hi Everybody,
Just another Newbie signing up.
We live in Phoenix, Arizona
We just recently purchased a 1998 Toyota 4Runner to build into an Overland vehicle.
I have over 40 yrs experience with camping/4 wheeling, 4x4 clubs, Treading Lightly and Offroading in the United States and Turkey.
Welcome! Great having you here!