Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rescue, California, USA
First Name
Jaimy
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

View attachment 14401 View attachment 14399 View attachment 14397 View attachment 14394 Hey like minded folks! My name is Austin and I live in North-East Florida. My rig is a 1988 Range Rover Classic that I have owned for 12 years. Transformed from a trailered mud truck to A Rover that Just drove 7,000 miles in 32 days from Florida to California and many places in between to do the Rubicon Trail and then drove back home to FL.
Welcome to the Group! Sounds like a great road/off road trip!

Reactions: DuvalRover

socalmtbiker

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Hello, long time lurker but new member. I'm located in Socal, San Diego. Got bit on the overland scene early last year. I have 3 young kids that tie up my time most of my time but when we get a chance, we make our way to the desert or mtns.

Rig:
05 lx 470 mainly stock with at tires and sliders
at horizon trailer

Attachments

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hello - I got here somewhat by accident... I previously drove a '99 Escalade as my daily driver which recently deteriorated to the point where I urgently needed to replace it. I searched high and low for a 4Runner but they are going for a premium in my area so I found a Discovery 2 (with relatively low miles) which the previous owner had invested in suspension, tires, rack, lights, and bumpers. Now I'm learning about the world of Land Rover's and especially the Discovery 2. Looking forward to connecting with OB folks in my area.

1) Picture: Attached (and as soon as I have one off pavement I'll update :grimacing:)
2) Snohomish County, WA
3) Land Rover Discovery 2, 2001
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice
Awesome rover!!!! Welcome to OB! You will like the D2 platform, it's great. There are lots of resources on here.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hi, My name is Lee. Decided to join up here to find more local adventure. Based out of NJ.

I have a wife, Meg, and a daughter named Ashlyn. I started to get back into camping to have good experiences with my family and teach my daughter what I learned as a kid.

We have a 2012 F150 ecoboost that I have been building up to handle our overlanding needs.
Welcome! That's a great F150... I love full-sized trucks as an overland vehicle platform.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hey newbie here, just received my membership number via email. my name is Keith and my pride and joy is a Land Rover Defender 90. I am part way to kitting it out the way I really want. I still have some way to go but finances are holding me back. Being ex-Armed Forces I have been very lucky to have travelled to a significant number of places. Now I want to see the places I never got to. as you can see from my avatar my sleeping a range mens are a Tentipi Safir7 . It's so quick and easy to put up. I am just about to buy the optional porch to gI've me more storage space. my next trip is forecast for early Summer. anyway I best be off to work.
Welcome!!! Awesome seeing another Defender here! [emoji1303]

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dan (the not so furry one in the profile picture) and am excited to have found this community. I live in Norwalk, CT with my girlfriend Liz, our adorable pup Georgia, and what used to be my and what has since become Georgia's 2008 Jeep JKU. My experience is really more in on the road than off the grid travel, but the more adventurous and off the map parts of the world have been flicking me in the ear for a while and telling me to get out and explore more. It is funny how every time you reach the summit of a mountain or a beautiful coastline it only makes you want to do it again...

I am a big believer that it doesn't matter what you drive and that it is the people you are with and the places you go that really make the trip worthwhile. Some of my favorite trips include driving my cousin's Fedex truck from Vegas to NY, camping out of a rented Fiat 500 for two weeks on a trip from Seattle to San Francisco, and the tens of thousands of miles of road my friends and I covered in my dad's Ford Van that we dubbed the Thunderdome because of how loud the uninsulated, unfinished van would get when it rained.

I am really looking forward to sharing any knowledge or help I can give, learning from the more experienced members here, and inspiring or being inspired by the community's ideas and adventures.

Here are some photos of my favorite adventures and rigs.

View attachment 14356
Mario, the Fiat 500, and Liz on the Oregon coast

View attachment 14358
Fully loaded Jeep on our first road trip with Georgia (the kiddie pool may have been unnecessary for her)
View attachment 14359
And the trusty 2008 JKU who is about to hit 200k miles
Welcome! Great seeing a neighbor.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Greets,
My name is Steve and I am from Oklahoma City I drive a modded 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r Limited and pull a TCTeardrops 5X10 Trailer. I'm experienced at overlanding using car/tent camping. but just recently upgraded to pulling an offroad teardrop trailer.
Welcome Steve! We have very similar builds except I'm on the fence between a teardrop and an off road trailer with a RTT. I can tell you that you'll really like the front springs when you get them and that they pair well with the super lift Ralliteks. Together it makes for a much more enjoyable experience off road. We have quite a few Subaru's members here so I started a Subaru registry thread. Feel free to check it out.

Hi all, my name is Alex from Brooklyn, NY. I've always had an adventurous spirit and love to camp, hike, sail and generally be outside whenever possible.

I'm entirely new to the OB scene, and plan to document my entire transition from a stock vehicle (2013 Subaru Forester) to an 'adventure vehicle'. My goal is to be able to explore the country and camp & hike in remote locations which an all wheel drive vehicle can take me and the family to. Getting stuck won't be my goal, but I'll build out my vehicle fully prepared for when that inevitably happens.
Welcome Alex! Looking forward to seeing your build. Always great to see another Subaru and as I mentioned to Steve we have a pretty good presence here.

Another new guy here. I'm Aaron from NY, about an hour north of NYC. My ultimate goal is to do the length of the Trans America Trail. Lots to learn before that though. I went to AOAA last year and got hooked, taking a few more trips this year starting in March. I'm about 3 hours away from there but it's worth the drive. I hear they've created an overland-style loop this year, looking forward to that. Anyway, here's my XJ Cherokee:
Welcome Aaron! I live about an hour and a half from AOAA so feel free to let me know if you're coming down and you don't mind getting out there with a lifted Subaru haha.

OutInCreation

Rank II
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Moses Lake, WA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GKZ
Hello all! My name is Anthony and I love being outdoors. I've been doing backpacking for a few years (including the Wonderland Trail) but want to do more overland/offroad adventures. I'm married to the most awesome woman in the world with the 3 best kids in the world.

1) Picture below of my first rock climb with my rig. You got to start somewhere!
2) Graham, WA
3) 2003 Ford F-150 FX4 Lariat
4) Novice. Very novice.

Let the modding begin! Need direction and input especially on what to focus on first. I'll post a thread on that later.

upload_2017-1-21_9-6-38.jpeg

sliceOFfreedom101

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tampa FL
First Name
William
Last Name
Ng
Member #

Hi All

I'm fairly new to the Overlanding experience and have just joined OB. I'm in the Tampa Fl area. I'm currently driving a 2008 Impreza WRX, fully stock for now. The roof rack is a combination of the yakima show boat, and Thule saddles to transport a Hobie outback kayak.

Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hi All

I'm fairly new to the Overlanding experience and have just joined OB. I'm in the Tampa Fl area. I'm currently driving a 2008 Impreza WRX, fully stock for now. The roof rack is a combination of the yakima show boat, and Thule saddles to transport a Hobie outback kayak.
Welcome! Always great to see another Subaru.

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

Howdy! My name is Scott and I'm in San Diego, CA (Clairemont to be more specific). I've been overlanding via motorcycle(s) for the past 8 or 9 years. However, an old neck injury finally caught up with me, I had surgery last year, and find I just cannot manage a loaded bike off road any more. Fortunately, through some friends, I've been exposed to vehicle overlanding over the past couple of years and decided to make the switch this year so I can keep visiting the great outdoors!!

Here are a couple of shots of my bikes, in BMW is in Baja and the KTM out by Idyllwild.

I had a 2wd 4Runner which I loved, but knew I needed (wanted?) a 4wd 4Runner. About two months ago, the stars lined up, and I traded my 2wd for a 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition!

So far, the only modifications are FJ Cruiser coils and Bilstein 5100's, giving it about a 2" lift and a Pioneer headunit. Here it is out at Anza Borrego last weekend:

Experience: Last weekend was my first time ever driving a 4wd vehicle off-road. I've done a lot of camping off my motorcycles, but never vehicle camping. I am very much looking forward to spending more time in 4Lo and seeing and camping in the great outdoors.

Plans: For the 4Runner, I want to get a hidden winch bumper in the front, a roof rack and a swing away rear bumper. Oh, and some tires that are more off-road oriented. That said, I drive a lot for work and this is my only vehicle so I will not be doing a wild lift or anything like that. I have no plans to go rock crawling or doing extreme off-roading, I just want to camp out of my 4Runner. For myself, I would like to take an off road driving course or two.

Last edited:

Adventure-Yeti

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cypress, California
Member #

Hello, everyone!

My name is Matthew, it is a pleasure to be part of the OB family and forum. I look forward to gaining an abundance of knowledge about over landing and hopeful to make some more friends along the way too.

Member #0752 - first time on the forum.

Here are our rigs:

2016 Toyota TRD Pro 4runner (Mostly stock, 1.5" front ToyTec spacer, Gobi Ladder, Thule Rack, Tepui Ayer Tent, Rigid Amber D2 Floods for Fog-Lights)
2012 Land Rover, Range Rover Sport HSE LUX (33" BFG K02 w. 2.5" Lift, ARB Under-Armor)

Photos are from a few trips. 1st- Burns Canyon (2N02 Trail last weekend) / Joshua Tree / Barton Flats Campground. & El Mirage Dry Lakebed.

And our wonderful, adventurous co-pilot for the wife and I, Dobby the Yorkie!

Until the next adventure...

Last edited:

h.leehampton

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Now I can make a proper introduction.
I am new to Overland Bound and today I just received my badge and number 2953.
A little about me: I am an athlete and outdoorsman with a love for the wild. I am also a survivalist and military veteran, U.S. Marines of 9 years before medical retirement combat related injuries. I am joined by my wife whom is also a veteran, and our two pups. We were hesitant to join sooner but after much research on the community as well as the founders and purpose behind it all, we finally came in. Reasons for the hesitation is neither of us ever owned a Toyota, and I recently sold my 96 XJ Jeep. Considering the vehicles we noticed everyone operates out of, we felt we would be laughed at, or outlast. We are a very diverse couple as well and unsure how or if we would be accepted. Im not sure how long this introduction is supposed to be, so please forgive my drawn out text.
For the last 21 months I have been working on Ugly Betty. Ugly Betty was a "semi-stock" 2003 dodge Ram 1500 that I purchased from a guy who bought it in an auction to flip it. This truck was ugly! It had been wrecked, badly. The front was smashed to hell, axle was busted bent and snapped in all the wrong places but had one great motor. My wife hated the truck and didn't see the inner beauty that I saw. Anyways, I put a lot of time wrenching 99% of the work on my own and of course the $$$ to do so[emoji21]. Needless to say, the Ugly Betty is no more. She still has some imperfections but runs strong and gets through anything, plus a very smooth and enjoyable ride as well.

Sent from my SM-G530T using OB Talk mobile app

h.leehampton

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

A little about me: I am an athlete and outdoorsman with a love for the wild. I am also a survivalist and military veteran, U.S. Marines of 9 years before medical retirement combat related injuries. I am joined by my wife whom is also a veteran, and our two pups. We were hesitant to join sooner but after much research on the community as well as the founders and purpose behind it all, we finally came in. Reasons for the hesitation is neither of us ever owned a Toyota, and I recently sold my 96 XJ Jeep. Considering the vehicles we noticed everyone operates out of, we felt we would be laughed at, or outlast. We are a very diverse couple as well and unsure how or if we would be accepted. Im not sure how long this introduction is supposed to be, so please forgive my drawn out text.
For the last 21 months I have been working on Ugly Betty. Ugly Betty was a "semi-stock" 2003 dodge Ram 1500 that I purchased from a guy who bought it in an auction to flip it. This truck was ugly! It had been wrecked, badly. The front was smashed to hell, axle was busted bent and snapped in all the wrong places but had one great motor. My wife hated the truck and didn't see the inner beauty that I saw. Anyways, I put a lot of time wrenching 99% of the work on my own and of course the $$$ to do so[emoji21]. Needless to say, the Ugly Betty is no more. She still has some imperfections but runs strong and gets through anything, plus a very smooth and enjoyable ride as well.

Btw, I did a lot of overlanding in Iraq, if that counts.

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

From another medically retired Marine and OB n00b, welcome aboard. My injuries weren't combat related, they were training-for-combat related. Semper Gumby.

BLUAXLZ

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Riverside CA
Member #

Hi to all of you OB members. I have a 2016 Willys Jeep JKU..This is my 4th Jeep but first that I have modified. I would consider my experience in between novice and expert. Just depending on the circumstances. Hope to learn alot from all of you and can't wait to join the first run.
I am located in Riverside CA