Explorer I

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dutch
Member #

Hi there Overlanders!

My name is Robert and I am a pretty novice overlander. I've done Australia, Balkans, Baltics and Ukraine till now. This in a Suzuki Grand Vitara and Prado 120. Now for the coming 2-3 years I'll be living and overlanding in Mongolia.

I'll be starting from scratch. I just bought a Land Cruiser 200 V6 (2008). Which is kind of stock. That is, it now has a 140 Liter petrol Tank and a 6th wheel rack. With 125k kilometers on the clock it's still young. It was mainly used in the city.

The plan:
Roofrack with tent
Old Man Emu BP51 Shocks
Drawers
Power supply
AT tires, maybe some Mud ones too.

I hope Overland Bound can be of help, though currently it looks like it's aimed at US only and no metric system. Lack of a metric system will be annoying, especially if i add sights to the App as signs will be in metric.

Helping to build the App in Mongolia will be a goal of that is somehow possible. But i haven't gone that deep in the App yet.

Anyways, hope to see you on the forum soon, or maybe even on the road?! Plenty of events i noticed.

Nice to meet you,
Robert
Hi Robert,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Based in Mongolia you have some great options to go on awesome overlanding trips.

I have been to Mongolia twice, 2010 by dual sport bike and 2018 by 4x4 (and both times further on east then to Vladivostok). Great area for overlanding trips.

While it was still very remote on our first trip, when we hardly met any other overlanders and even in the capital it was not easy to find a service or something similar for the bikes and equipment, in recent years an overlander scene has been established in Mongolia So, there are several contact points for overlanders. Due to C19 and the lack of travellers during that time, things have changed of course. I still have a few local points of contact.

If you need any help, also on how to use the forum here or the app, feel free to get in touch. I'm happy to help.

Bjoern
Thank Bjoern, covid indeed seems to have had quite the impact. No tourists, therefore less overlanding, which in turn has an impact on the whole suplly and service chain. Even now, end of May, when most Mongolians haven't started planning yet, lots of equipment is out of stock and garages with expertise are few.

However, some higher and mid quality places survived. Maybe 5 or so. Sufficient to get most things done.

If you are in the running to build a rig, the time is now in Mongolia. Stock of the previous years is still around which were bought at a considerably lower price compared to the new stock coming in. Can be hundreds of Euro/Dollar dif. I bought a roofrack for 600(Patriot (AUS)), the same model, but yet to be imported will be almost 900. Rhino are sold out, ARB is close to 1500-2000.

Unfortunately i am on a tight schedule to get the rig ready before the 10th of June for my 1st 6 week trip.

Tires are my biggest worry. The rain and snow made horrible mud tracks where my current AT won't be able to get through. So I might go for Mud tires. Maxxis as they are the only one carrying my size. Then again, there will probably also be quite a bit of asphalt, desert and gravel to be done. Lots of airing down i guess. I think I'll go for the safety of the mud tire and leave the AT home for now. /rant

Omar.IntotheWild23

Rank II

Contributor III

Ventura, CA, USA
First Name
Omar
Last Name
Ochoa
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Navy
Welcome to Overland Bound Omar
Don't hesitate to contact the SoCal Local Expert @Narbob for help or information.
Some contacts for local information are @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) & www.Riggedfordirt.com
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. West (HI CA NV)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About WEST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com
Thanks so much for the great welcome and the contact info.
V/r- Omar

Dvibs

Rank 0

Contributor I

Portland, Oregon, United States
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
DeV
Good morning! My name is Taylor and I’m currently living in the PNW. I’m 29 years old and work in the petroleum industry. I’m an avid camper who’s currently waiting on a 2023 Colorado trail boss to start getting into more remote areas to camp. I hope to learn a lot about navigation, gear, and want to meet people up here to plan trips with!

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Good morning! My name is Taylor and I’m currently living in the PNW. I’m 29 years old and work in the petroleum industry. I’m an avid camper who’s currently waiting on a 2023 Colorado trail boss to start getting into more remote areas to camp. I hope to learn a lot about navigation, gear, and want to meet people up here to plan trips with!
Hallo Taylor
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Taylor, welcome to Overland Bound.

Explorer I

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dutch
Member #

Hi there Overlanders!

My name is Robert and I am a pretty novice overlander. I've done Australia, Balkans, Baltics and Ukraine till now. This in a Suzuki Grand Vitara and Prado 120. Now for the coming 2-3 years I'll be living and overlanding in Mongolia.

I'll be starting from scratch. I just bought a Land Cruiser 200 V6 (2008). Which is kind of stock. That is, it now has a 140 Liter petrol Tank and a 6th wheel rack. With 125k kilometers on the clock it's still young. It was mainly used in the city.

The plan:
Roofrack with tent
Old Man Emu BP51 Shocks
Drawers
Power supply

I hope Overland Bound can be of help, though currently it looks like it's aimed at US only and no metric system. Lack of a metric system will be annoying, especially if i add sights to the App as signs will be in metric.

Helping to build the App in Mongolia will be a goal of that is somehow possible. But i haven't gone that deep in the App yet.

Anyways, hope to see you on the forum soon, or maybe even on the road?! Plenty of events i noticed.

Nice to meet you,
Robert
Hi Robert welcome to OB.
Whilst OB started in the US I can assure you there is a big active OB Community out with the USA.

I'm jealous you are getting to spend so much time in Mongolia exploring. How are you getting there, is it an overland trip to get there?
We drove there from the UK back in 2018 and enjoyed 2 months exploring the country. 2 Years wouldn't actually be enough though and I could and would quite happily spend 2 years there.

I did start adding some of our Wild Camps to the app so make sure to check them out as these were the cream of the crop from our time there although all were exceptional. Mongolia is a nomadic country so wild camping is normal but be prepared to have a Mongolian family rock up 3 deep on a motorbike to check you out and smile a lot.

For our trip to Mongolia we changed our set up to be more suitable for Mongolia travel so I'm always happy to help, discuss and advise where I can.

Look forward to seeing your trips and following your progress.

Any questions etc give me a shout

Dave
Sorry for the late reply Dave, i am still not used to the forum setup.

Work brought us to Mongolia. Lucky, i hope.

I've checked the Mongolia App map, but haven't found any spots of interest yet. Maybe 2 or 3 points in Ulaanbaatar itself and that's it. It brings a bit of doubt to me whether to pay for me creating the Mongolia map. Mostly because there are few users. Though that may be a catch 22.

Thanks for the offer of help. For the moment i am in a hurry to set the LC200 up to be out on the road in 2 weeks from now. Made my 1st mistake already :-(.

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

Welcome Taylor! You’re going to love that Chevy Colorado, it’s a great platform. I look forward to seeing the build. Happy Trails.

ScotiaJeep

Rank II

Pathfinder II

San Martin, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Miner
Member #

IMG_5761.jpeg
Hello. I’m super excited to be a part of this community.
I‘m a newbie to off-roading with Death Valley and Hollister Hills in California with Cal4West under my belt. And soon Moab.
I have a 2022 Jeep Rubicon with a factory lift, winch and off-road tires. Also, I have a small off-road camper with a tent on top which I used for the first time at Hollister Hills. I love to camp and look forward to adventures with others to places such as Anza Borrego, Baja and all over.

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

View attachment 258983
I‘m a newbie to off-roading with Death Valley and Hollister Hills in California with Cal4West under my belt. And soon Moab.
I have a 2022 Jeep Rubicon with a factory lift, winch and off-road tires. Also, I have a small off-road camper with a tent on top which I used for the first time at Hollister Hills. I love to camp and look forward to adventures with others to places such as Anza Borrego, Baja and all over.
Hallo Rob
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
View attachment 258983
Welcome to Overland Bound
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. West (HI CA NV)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip
Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About WEST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Taylor and welcome to Overland Bound!

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
View attachment 258983
Hi Rob,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

View attachment 258983
Welcome and hello from San Jose, CA! If you’re ever interested in going to Hollister, I try to make it out there at least once a month. Also there’s a lot of amazing places to wheel & camp just a few hours from the South Bay. Just hit me up!

Lone Wolf 1965

Rank V

Traveler III

Casper, Natrona County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
View attachment 258983
Welcome to Overland Bound

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
View attachment 258983
Hello Rob, welcome to Overland Bound.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi there Overlanders!

The plan:
Roofrack with tent
Old Man Emu BP51 Shocks
Drawers
Power supply

Nice to meet you,
Robert
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Greetings from Ventura, CA. I’m Omar and I‘m new to this website and to the overlanding community. I just got my ‘22 4-Runner Off Road Pro last Sept while living in the Washington DC area. I drove across the country for a new job in Feb23. Now that I’m in CA, I really want to get into overlanding; I’m definitely a novice (unless watching YouTube videos count). Then again, if it weren’t for watching a video by Lifestyle Overland, I might not have found this site and community, so I’m grateful for his vid and channel for helping me get one step closer to making my overlanding goals a reality! I‘ve still got work to do on my setup, but this is a pic of my rig (The Gaucho) in Newport, RI back in Dec ‘22.

View attachment 258641

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF