• HTML tutorial

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Hi everyone,
Last year I bought a new '16 4R TEP. I've always liked 4Runners since they first came out. After doing the sports car thing and making my way through auto-crossing, rally-crossing, track days and time trials, I found myself completely over driving them on the road anymore. I thought about an older 4Runner at first but then realized that this would be our long trip vehicle and decided new was the best thing for us. I looked at Wrangler Unlimiteds, but wow, those cost a lot more. Originally I wanted the TRD Pro, but decided on the Trail once I learned that the its essentially the same thing without the long travel suspension or added attention. After sports cars all I want is to blend in and disappear. (but yes, I'm still envious of the TRD grill and wheels)
I've always loved dirt roads and had a lot of fun with my '02 WRX wagon in the woods. That car ended up with fully adjustable gravel coil-over suspension and hard compound rally tires, but it still didn't have the ground clearance to get over fallen tress or semi-deep water crossings. The 4Runner does this all now effortlessly- and more comfortably as well.
I love being in the woods and my wife likes to explore old mining sites. So far we've been to Bodie, Malakoff Diggins, Sierra City and The Lakes Basin area in addition to numerous trips to the Mendocino National Forest.
Right now my plan is to keep the 4R as stock as possible for mpgs, cost and comfort. I haven't left track days behind me yet so I need to leave some money for that too. I figure I'll know when I need the next thing once its held me back from where I want to go a few times. So far tires are the only thing I've needed to change and I'm loving the stock size BFG K02s and the added piece of mind.

Last edited:

Paramedic-Steve-911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

wareham massachusetts
Member #

IMG_2569.jpg Hello all paramedic-Steve-911 here just getting started at O.B. The picture is my 08 hummer h3 been building up for a little while now. She's a slug with her inline 5cyl engine but never left me stranded yet. Look forward to being part of this community and getting to learn more about overlanding. So far my mods are 3 inch lift , 33 inch tires brush guards, tail light guards , emergency lights ( as a medic i outfit my rig with them anyway ) off road light , resonator box delete, hood grab bars , functional hood mounted heat louvers and more to come

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington, Morris County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Beautiful, I have had GSD's all my life. My boy is a 4 year old long coat and my girl is 8 year old standard coat. I take them everywhere I can. I have it all worked out to get them into the RTT now, if I am solo.
Both of your shepherds are beautiful! These are my two in the back of an 88 Dakota V6

Livetvguy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN
Member #

Well after being out of town for 3 weeks I returned to find my membership package had arrived. New member #3163, my name is John and I am in Nashville, TN. So with that as my inspiration I thought it was time to spend a couple days working on the "Outfit" part of the program so that soon I can begin the "Explore" part.

Still much more to come in the next few weeks but it's a start. Anybody in the Mid South that would like to meet up give me a shout.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Payne
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hi everyone!

My name is Josh. I live in the Inland Northwest, I just purchased my 2013 JKUR a couple weeks ago, but I've been lurking on the fringes for a while. My CVT RTT has been on my 2WD pickup and I decided it was time to get a proper rig for it.

I've been "outdooring" for years, but I'm looking forward to learning more about overland and off road adventuring on wheels.

Hello all! New member checking in, currently from Pyeongtaek, Republic of Korea, though this is a temporary assignment. I originally hail from Michigan, but have sent my last 13 years in the Mojave Desert. My last year in Korea, with the hot, muggy summers, and cold winters, has reminded mm why I left Michigan!

The rig I have with me here is a (new to me) white 2006 Nissan Frontier Crewcab. Currently it's all stock, mainly because I bought it three days before getting the offer to come to Korea. Once we're back in the States, it will become our primary Baja family rig. No pics of it, yet, but since it's completely stock, there are thousands already on the web!

My other rig is my 1990 Mitsubishi Montero. It's been great, and I will be putting many more miles on it when I get back. My buddy in Phoenix is currently taking care of it for me (at least I hope he s taking good care of it!). Here she is on our last trip down the Baja peninsula. It's had several roof racks, this one being a failed experiment with roof rails.

I've since went back to gutter mounts, after having to re-weld the holes rusted through by previous gutter mounts. Just gotta do better regular maintenance, I guess! These are Gamiviti mounts, and man, are they beefy.

Looking forward to reading about how folks have modified their Frontiers, as I plan the upgrades to outfit it for much more Baja and other desert travel!

Last edited:

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

Hello Mojave Jack. Welcome. Don't forget to request an upgrade to your account in order to get access to the members map and other forum areas. I spent a year in Seoul one week for business. The heat was unbearable. They had a power outage when we were driving in the city (somewhere) and the traffic lights stopped working. It took 12 hours to get traffic moving again. Bad memories. Nice rig.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

Hi everyone!

My name is Josh. I live in the Inland Northwest, I just purchased my 2013 JKUR a couple weeks ago, but I've been lurking on the fringes for a while. My CVT RTT has been on my 2WD pickup and I decided it was time to get a proper rig for it.

I've been "outdooring" for years, but I'm looking forward to learning more about overland and off road adventuring on wheels.

Hello Josh,
Used to own a JKUR. I just joined Overland Bound as a member. Super simple to do and worth the ticket price. Quality emblems, patches, stickers, etc. The membership is priceless. So much information on the forums. Join to get access to the member map and other informative information on the forum. Look forward to finding out what member number you get. Let me know. This community is growing fast and growing globally.

Regards,

UtahOverlander
W5MTN

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Payne
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hello Josh,
Used to own a JKUR. I just joined Overland Bound as a member. Super simple to do and worth the ticket price. Quality emblems, patches, stickers, etc. The membership is priceless. So much information on the forums. Join to get access to the member map and other informative information on the forum. Look forward to finding out what member number you get. Let me know. This community is growing fast and growing globally.

Regards,

UtahOverlander
W5MTN
Hi, thanks! I actually paid for the membership before I posted. So as soon as I'm number official I'll definitely update my info and signature. I'll be working on my Ham license too!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

That's great. I love amateur radio. Mostly use it as emergency comms and for Summits on the Air (SOTA). Fun activity that goes hand-in-hand with overlanding. Glad you're a member. Dont' forget to request an upgrade to your account. The member map is nice to see other Overland Bound Members close to you. See you around the forum.

UtahOverlander
W5MTN

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Well after being out of town for 3 weeks I returned to find my membership package had arrived. New member #3163, my name is John and I am in Nashville, TN. So with that as my inspiration I thought it was time to spend a couple days working on the "Outfit" part of the program so that soon I can begin the "Explore" part.

Still much more to come in the next few weeks but it's a start. Anybody in the Mid South that would like to meet up give me a shout.

Looks great with the new bumper- keep the pics coming!

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Hey all,
A quick intro on me.

Name is Nate, been into some level of adventuring for a while although not nearly as much the last few years. I have been playing with vehicles as long as I can remember. I started in road racing, then rally (had a shop, crew chief for a team of a few cars and did all the service etc) . I have had quite a few 4x4 builds over my lifetime, lots of snow etc growing up in Northern California, currently live in Santa Cruz but trying to get back up into the mountains soon.

Current applicable vehicles would be my westy, and my taco.

Built the west for on pavement trips, swapped the drivetrain for a EJ20 Turbo subaru engine, with custom gears and trans from a WRX as well (converted to 2wd and spins the wrong way so it can mount in the VW) . Primary get dirty rig is my 07 mid travel tacoma, locked, skids, winch etc.

As my kids are now both 18 the adventure/trip bug has bit hard, and I find myself really wanting to go play again.

Just joined up, waiting on my badges and #.

Here are a few photos of the two.

Thanks all.

taco detail.jpg
tacobeach.JPG
wrxfalia.JPG

HeadRusch

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winder, GA
Member #

Hey Ladies and Gents,

My names Adrian. Spent a few years over seas shooting bad guys in the face. Now I'm back with my family and enjoy getting out into the wild. I'm living in Metro Atlanta right now. I have a 2008 Nissan Titan Pro4x I use to get out and about. I'd probably say I'm a novice when it comes to overlanding. I'm good on foot, but mechanically speaking I'm rather lacking in experience.

Cohinds4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waco, Texas
Member #

Hi everyone,
Ill introduce myself,
My name is Cody I am originally from Alabama but have lived all over the place and now i'm in Sacramento CA. Moved here this summer and took my rig cross country exploring everywhere on the way including several national park and did some overlanding in Moab camping out of the FJ the whole way. I have a 2012 FJ Cruiser Ive been modifying it ever since I bought it and fell in love with it, in 2015. I plan on moving back to Houston this summer and am in the process of planning a month long trip north through Oregon to Washington and then back down south till we get to TX. Any overlanding recommendations for stops are very welcome. I'd say i'm a beginner to overlanding since I don't have very much experience off the paved road. Looking forward to connecting with other fellow overlanders!
2016-07-18 20.00.19.jpg 2016-11-24 14.54.02-1.jpg
2016-09-05 13.00.20.jpg

Attachments

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

Afternoon, Cody, I too am new to the community and look forward to learning more about Overland concepts and techniques. I live in Eugene,
Oregon and own an '02 Ford Excursion with the Triton V10 which has proven to be a quite capable and rugged vehicle for getting out and about in all the outdoor variety that Oregon has to offer. I have slowly been outfitting my rig with the staples of self rescue, solar power, and expedition camping accessories. I get out with the motorcycle or driftboat as often as possible. I look forward to learning more and meeting you all out there....somewhere!

Cohinds4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waco, Texas
Member #

I've seen some Excursions with some really cool mods out there, and yours sounds awesome! I took a trip up to Crater Lake this past fall and absolutely loved Oregon. I can't wait to come back to your state!

ExGEO

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Port Richey, FL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5HLQ/AG
Hey all,
welcome even tho I am also new!
Lots of posts in this thread in an afternoon, I wonder if that is normal here?
Seems to be growing. It's Friday though and people are probably dreaming about overland. Plus OB here doesn't try to cram products down your throat when you join up and there aren't a ton of other forums for this kind of banter and travel. Expedition portal is good too, but they give me a weird vibe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Hi, I'm Ron. I own a 1990 jeep wrangler. I built it for trail riding and camping. I'm a member of Ohio 4x4 trail riders, a great group of people. I'm looking to expand my rides and camping trips. I'll post ride and trip photos as I can. I'm a ASE certified Master tech, I will help where I can, I'm located in central Ohio. I really want to travel through Monument valley, Thanks, Ron