freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Tom here...been a lurker for a while (and a forum member, but it's time to contribute to keeping this going!)
I would say I'm a different breed of overlander, as I'm an ultra-runner (so overlanding on foot?). Have done a lot of camping (both on foot, and more recently car camping), but as things have gotten busier in the world, I wanted to expand where I could go to get away, and the focus remains on finding amazing places to camp and run.
Located in Denver, but can be found in the mountains most weekends in the summer. Current *rig* (I should just say vehicle) is an ML350..but that's been on the way out for a while due to a number of constraints. Used it last year to dial in what I wanted to build, as I like to work from camp (have a remote job), stay off the grid for 3-5 days regularly (hoping for some longer trips as I do build out my rig), and now I think I know how I want to do it...so the rig should be a fun process, and I expect I'll be sharing it as it comes together.
Looking forward to learning more from this group, meeting some people (virtually and in person), and generally enjoying the outdoors.
Hello Tom, welcome to Overland Bound.

Outlandish_Mits

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

North Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hampton
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hello everyone, as the username implies, this is Lino.
I am located in south Florida and have been riding the local trails since 2012 or so.
To me overland is vehicle based travel to experience other cultures and their relationship with the outdoors.
Tread lightly tread trainer, big cypress volunteer, studying for the ham tech license (finally got around to it right when everyone started switching to GMRS)
Mostly day trips to big cypress preserve but every once in a while I visit Ocala/Citrus for a long weekend.
I try to pack my trips in with my other hobbies, as they revolve around being outdoors (hiking, orienteering, mtb, kayaking/sup, shooting sports.) Basically anything outdoors.
Off road travel is a generational thing for me as my dad and uncles were involved in the hobby in my home country of Venezuela.
I have been doing it on my own since I started driving and bought my own first car (gen 1 xterra.) I have worked on and driven all kinds of different 4x4s- from Nissan, Toyota, Mitsu and even a Touareg.
Right now I am building an 05 xterra off road.
It was in… rough shape, when I got it but I wanted to get back into the off road scene and it was at a great price.
In my opinion most used SUVs under $10k are going to need a lot of work to get them where I want on the road, regardless of how their age/mileage.
I thought if I was gonna be swapping out parts might as well get a deal on something that NEEDS things replaced.
The entire front drivetrain except cvs and brakes had to be replaced, the whole rear susp and hatch/rear fenders/pinch weld was rusting.
While we were in there we put a small spacer lift. This week it’ll have a winch/bumper put on and next week it’ll have 33” duratracs installed.
I joined this forum to meet and discuss with folks who are involved in the hobby locally.
Sweet ride. Welcome to the OB family

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello everyone, as the username implies, this is Lino.
I am located in south Florida and have been riding the local trails since 2012 or so.
To me overland is vehicle based travel to experience other cultures and their relationship with the outdoors.
Tread lightly tread trainer, big cypress volunteer, studying for the ham tech license (finally got around to it right when everyone started switching to GMRS)
Mostly day trips to big cypress preserve but every once in a while I visit Ocala/Citrus for a long weekend.
I try to pack my trips in with my other hobbies, as they revolve around being outdoors (hiking, orienteering, mtb, kayaking/sup, shooting sports.) Basically anything outdoors.
Off road travel is a generational thing for me as my dad and uncles were involved in the hobby in my home country of Venezuela.
I have been doing it on my own since I started driving and bought my own first car (gen 1 xterra.) I have worked on and driven all kinds of different 4x4s- from Nissan, Toyota, Mitsu and even a Touareg.
Right now I am building an 05 xterra off road.
It was in… rough shape, when I got it but I wanted to get back into the off road scene and it was at a great price.
In my opinion most used SUVs under $10k are going to need a lot of work to get them where I want on the road, regardless of how their age/mileage.
I thought if I was gonna be swapping out parts might as well get a deal on something that NEEDS things replaced.
The entire front drivetrain except cvs and brakes had to be replaced, the whole rear susp and hatch/rear fenders/pinch weld was rusting.
While we were in there we put a small spacer lift. This week it’ll have a winch/bumper put on and next week it’ll have 33” duratracs installed.
I joined this forum to meet and discuss with folks who are involved in the hobby locally.
Hello Lino, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the OB community and my nick name is J.T.,

I am looking forward to making new friends, learning, and contribute as well with any of my experiences.

Vehicle: 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport Soft Top (2" lift with 31 BFG KO2)
Experience: Some car camping experiences
Hello JT, welcome to Overland Bound.

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Hello Everyone,

I am looking forward to making new friends, learning, and contribute as well with any of my experiences.

Welcome, J.T.!
I'm from California as well, although I currently live out in New Mexico.
I hope you make some new friends as well, and I am also looking to learn new things as well!

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Hello fellow adventurers, Michael here from Atlanta, Ga! Hope to meet new friends and create amazing experiences. Currently rocking a 2005 Tacoma Sport with AT Habitat - absolutely love adventuring out west and just got back from TX, NM & AZ and am planning to head back out soon!
Welcome, Michael!
Your rig looks pretty sweet, I must admit. I am out here in New Mexico, and I love the off-roading available in my area. Plenty of trails to explore and camping to be done for sure. I'm glad you enjoyed your recent trip out to the Southwest!

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hello Everyone,

Hallo Florentino
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hello,

Mark here.
Hallo Mark
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden
Located in the Nashville area.

Spent 10 years in Colorado with a JKU exploring, took a few years away .

Back in the game with a new '21 Bronco Badlands 4 door. New to overlanding, super excited to study up, learn from the experts and get to outfitting my blank slate.

Headed to Moab in April '22 for 5 days, want to get setup and make overlanding my new hobby/outlet.

Mark

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hello All,
Justin here in the Nashville area. New to Overlanding but not camping, trails, etc.. Looking to link up with a group and take my long awaited vacation. Current vehicle 2017 TRD DCab 4x4 Yota. No lift so ex nay on the rock crawling.
Hallo Justin
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello Everyone,

Hi J.T. and welcome to Overland Bound!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello All,
Justin here in the Nashville area. New to Overlanding but not camping, trails, etc.. Looking to link up with a group and take my long awaited vacation. Current vehicle 2017 TRD DCab 4x4 Yota. No lift so ex nay on the rock crawling.
Hi Justin and welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Shahn and Kent R

Outlandish_Mits

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

North Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hampton
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hello All,
Welcome to the OB Community

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hello All,
Hallo Justin
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

chrisgardner73

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Sumter, Sumter County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I’m Chris, and we’re checking in from Sumter, SC. We recently moved her from CO, and are looking forward to exploring the east coast (as well as heading back out west) in our 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I wouldn’t call us experts at overlanding, but we’re definitely not novices. Hope to see some of the OB crew on the road/trails!

Attachments

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

I’m Chris, and we’re checking in from Sumter, SC. We recently moved her from CO, and are looking forward to exploring the east coast (as well as heading back out west) in our 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I wouldn’t call us experts at overlanding, but we’re definitely not novices. Hope to see some of the OB crew on the road/trails!
Hallo Chris
Welcome to OBO
Nice rig by the way
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

Bagn1t

Rank 0

Contributor I

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Swink
Hey everyone! I'm Rick and I'm excited to be here!

I'm in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA.
3) I have a (new to me) 2015 Toyota 4RUNNER. It's mostly stock as far as I can tell. It's and SR5 Premium and seems to have most of the off road goodies that the TRD models have without the badging and price tag. My goal is to try to make it as capable as possible while keeping it looking stock.
4) Overlanding Experience Background: I would consider myself a novice. I had a 95 Bronco back in the day and took it out out a few times but it was a bit of a basketcase and wasn't reliable...so I didn't do a lot with it and ended up selling it. Looking forward to getting out on some trails again!

Attachments