Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Hello! I’m an old school off-road guy, not new to the woods, but embracing the overlanding adventure. I live about 25 mins south of Atlanta Airport, always looking for back roads and that “sweet spot.” I look forward to learning, growing, and meeting as many like-minded folks as I can. Stay safe, ask if I can be of help or assistance, love talking about ham radio and off-grid communications.
Welcome to OB, Tom! We're glad to have you here! I usually try to make it to Road Atlanta a few times a year, but never thought to see about any trails in that area. I'll have to add that to my list for our next camping trip there. Hope to see you around!

one.plain.jk

Rank 0

Contributor I

York, PA, USA
First Name
Dylon
Last Name
Johnson
Hello! Im from York City Pennsylvania. Im very much new to overlanding however I’ve had some form of off-roader for many years. I currently have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X 6 speed. Im glad to be here. Maybe include some basic tips that would be useful for someone like me just getting started. Thanks!

Attachments

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Hello! Im from York City Pennsylvania. Im very much new to overlanding however I’ve had some form of off-roader for many years. I currently have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X 6 speed. Im glad to be here. Maybe include some basic tips that would be useful for someone like me just getting started. Thanks!
Welcome to OB, Dylon! We're glad to have you here.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hello,
Name is Kerry and I am in Central Texas. Have a couple different platforms. My main rig is my 2018 Ram 2500. Other rig is a 2007 Rubicon. Recently rigged the Ram up for tent camping with a RTT so I could use that for my trout fishing trips to NM and CO. It's easier than outline the RV. Need to upgrade to a bed rack or a camper shell because I installed a decked drawer system and the Thule rack won't work the way I want. Look forward to meeting you all and maybe hearing you on the Ham radio (W5KDP). Here is a pic of my recent trip to the Rio Costilla in NM.
Welcome Kerry! We love camping at the Valle Vidal, just above Rio Costilla.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi, thanks for reaching out. Good to hear there are a good number, are they active, is there a particular FORUM I should be looking at here?
Joseph,
Check out Overland Bound By Region: North America: US East to help you discuss things pertaining to your region.
You can also filter the Rally Points by US East to see the meetups and trail rides in your area.
Lastly you can search for members in your area by using the map tools to view members in a specific area and send them messages.

Danster

Rank III

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Haas
Member #

Hi I’m From Denver

I have a 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 mostly stock.

Im looking to get Kings suspension or fox shocks installed in the future.

Only real modification I’ve done so far is a ARB awning

I’m looking to go ultralight

Any recommendations on suspension wheels and tires would be great. I don’t wanna sacrifice my gas mileage.

Attachments

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
Welcome to OB, Tom! We're glad to have you here! I usually try to make it to Road Atlanta a few times a year, but never thought to see about any trails in that area. I'll have to add that to my list for our next camping trip there. Hope to see you around!
Sir, LOTS of great trails for any level explorer We are blessed to have the North Georgia Mtns, with plenty of USFS land, great areas to explore, please let us know if your around the Peach State! Stay safe!

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hello! I’m an old school off-road guy, not new to the woods, but embracing the overlanding adventure. I live about 25 mins south of Atlanta Airport, always looking for back roads and that “sweet spot.” I look forward to learning, growing, and meeting as many like-minded folks as I can. Stay safe, ask if I can be of help or assistance, love talking about ham radio and off-grid communications.
Welcome to the forum, Tom.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Welcome to the forum. Just go out and have fun!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Tom, welcome to Overland Bound.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hi I’m From Denver

Any recommendations on suspension wheels and tires would be great. I don’t wanna sacrifice my gas mileage.
Hi Daniel, Welcome! I had Kings on my WRX and really liked them.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Dylon, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi I’m From Denver

Hello Daniel, welcome to Overland Bound.

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello,
Name is Kerry and I am in Central Texas. Have a couple different platforms. My main rig is my 2018 Ram 2500. Other rig is a 2007 Rubicon. Recently rigged the Ram up for tent camping with a RTT so I could use that for my trout fishing trips to NM and CO. It's easier than outline the RV. Need to upgrade to a bed rack or a camper shell because I installed a decked drawer system and the Thule rack won't work the way I want. Look forward to meeting you all and maybe hearing you on the Ham radio (W5KDP). Here is a pic of my recent trip to the Rio Costilla in NM.
Hello Kerry and welcome to Overland Bound

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello Tom and welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Kent R

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello Dylon and welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Kent R

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hi I’m From Denver

Hello Daniel and welcome to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Kent R and Danster

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Hi I’m From Denver

Hey Danster! Welcome to OB, we're glad to have you here.

Lightweight wheels will definitely help retain fuel mileage, although in my experience most tire upgrades (in relation to size and weight) normally make it harder to retain that efficiency, you may be able to gain some back with gearing but there will always be a give and take. Aside from aerodynamics I don't know that a lift will affect fuel economy that much. I'm sure someone has got some better answers from experience with 4Runners.

Enjoy OB!