Rank I

Contributor III

New Plymouth, Idaho, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Schuster
Hello all!

I found OB through YouTube while researching drawer systems for my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Currently it’s bone stock and still needs some maintenance items addressed. Seems to be an okay purchase for $200.

I’m definitely a novice at overlanding, my general camping experience has always been camping over weekends with the long haul trips reserved for hunting camp.

I’ve been watching the Aussie show on YouTube, 4WD 24-7 and watched all of the Expedition Overland series on Prime Video which has got me interested in overlanding.

We’re currently based out of Moscow, Idaho.

Excited to learn more and get my family out for some vehicle based adventures.

Attachments

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
1)Here’s my Ranger.
2)I’m in the Western Denver area
3) 21 Ranger FX4
4) I’ve been on a few trails around but not many.
I’ve been watching the Overland Bound YouTube for a few years but finally have a 4x4
My truck is still mostly stock. I just have a mild suspension lift and I’m waiting for some 255/80/17s to be delivered.
Hello Ricardo, welcome to Overland Bound.

Reactions: Shahn

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi. I’m Jana from Belgium. Along with my family of four we have been preparing for a long time to start overlanding indefinitely as of next summer. Our first years will likely be with a small van with rooftop tent and stay within broader European region until we have prepared our larger 4x4 mobilhome. Looking forward to learning from all of you
Hello Jana, welcome to Overland Bound. Sounds very exciting.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hi Overland Bound community! I'm John, and excited to be part of this group

Rig: 2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Experience: Intermediate - I've done a decent number of trips throughout the Rockies and Midwest areas of the USA.

I'm looking forward to learning and getting to know some of you! Let's go places!
Hello John, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Good evening from Georgia. My name is John Newberry and I have a 1978 Ford Bronco custom that I have been putting back together for the last 7 years.
Originally from Burbank, CA move here in 1980 and have been here ever sense. This weekend will be our first overland trip as we hit the GA Traverse, should be loads of fun. Thank you all for the opportunity to become a member. Good night.View attachment 205489
Hello John, welcome to Overland Bound. Looks like you have done a very nice job on the Bronco

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello all!

I found OB through YouTube while researching drawer systems for my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Currently it’s bone stock and still needs some maintenance items addressed. Seems to be an okay purchase for $200.

I’m definitely a novice at overlanding, my general camping experience has always been camping over weekends with the long haul trips reserved for hunting camp.

I’ve been watching the Aussie show on YouTube, 4WD 24-7 and watched all of the Expedition Overland series on Prime Video which has got me interested in overlanding.

Hello William, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Everyone!

New member here and little something about me, I always wanted to go do dispersed camping. Never camped in my life or any outdoor activities. Being the sole provider to a family of 6, it was hard to go out and do the things I wanted to do. Now 2 of my kids are old enough to help around the house, I now have a little bit of time for myself. So when I turned 40 a few months back, I made a decision to go out and do what I've always wanted to do. Since I cannot do this more than 3 days at a time and just to get my feet wet with the experience, I will be using my 2004 BMW X5 3.0. It's got 129k miles and currently refreshing the whole cooling system, ccv system to cold weather, valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets and upgrading the disa valve. I am doing it myself a few hours a day and looking to get everything done by end of week.

Looking forward to learn from everyone and maybe get access to easy trails, campsites around northern CA.
Hello John, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey Guys!
My name is Hunter and I’m from Thomasville, Ga (30 miles north of Tallahassee, FL)
Just got a Toyota Tundra last month, and kinda became obsessed with overlanding videos and podcasts. I’m going to start slow and can’t wait to get out there!
Hello Hunter, welcome to Overland Bound.

Explore more

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Hartley
Member #

2004 Dodge ram 6" lift 37" tires With a list that goes on. I am in Vancouver British Columbia, I did camping and some pretty serious 4 wheeling with my dad as a kid in an old xj But then my dad went away and life past I never really forgot it so once my wife and I had our son I went and found the same XJ same year and every thing and the three of us set out on a good 10 years of deep back woods camping through out BC sitting in a 2015 JKU with lots of work done to it now and the XJ gone we decided about three years ago to have it just for 4wheeling and build a overlander

Attachments

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
2004 Dodge ram 6" lift 37" tires With a list that goes on. I am in Vancouver British Columbia, I did camping and some pretty serious 4 wheeling with my dad as a kid in an old xj But then my dad went away and life past I never really forgot it so once my wife and I had our son I went and found the same XJ same year and every thing and the three of us set out on a good 10 years of deep back woods camping through out BC sitting in a 2015 JKU with lots of work done to it now and the XJ gone we decided about three years ago to have it just for 4wheeling and build a overlander
Hello Cody, welcome to Overland Bound.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi Overland Bound community! I'm John, and excited to be part of this group

Rig: 2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Experience: Intermediate - I've done a decent number of trips throughout the Rockies and Midwest areas of the USA.

I'm looking forward to learning and getting to know some of you! Let's go places!
Hello John, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Everyone!

New member here and little something about me, I always wanted to go do dispersed camping. Never camped in my life or any outdoor activities. Being the sole provider to a family of 6, it was hard to go out and do the things I wanted to do. Now 2 of my kids are old enough to help around the house, I now have a little bit of time for myself. So when I turned 40 a few months back, I made a decision to go out and do what I've always wanted to do. Since I cannot do this more than 3 days at a time and just to get my feet wet with the experience, I will be using my 2004 BMW X5 3.0. It's got 129k miles and currently refreshing the whole cooling system, ccv system to cold weather, valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets and upgrading the disa valve. I am doing it myself a few hours a day and looking to get everything done by end of week.

Looking forward to learn from everyone and maybe get access to easy trails, campsites around northern CA.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey Guys!
My name is Hunter and I’m from Thomasville, Ga (30 miles north of Tallahassee, FL)
Just got a Toyota Tundra last month, and kinda became obsessed with overlanding videos and podcasts. I’m going to start slow and can’t wait to get out there!
Hello Hunter, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Good evening from Georgia. My name is John Newberry and I have a 1978 Ford Bronco custom that I have been putting back together for the last 7 years.
Originally from Burbank, CA move here in 1980 and have been here ever sense. This weekend will be our first overland trip as we hit the GA Traverse, should be loads of fun. Thank you all for the opportunity to become a member. Good night.View attachment 205489

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello all!

Hello William, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Cody, welcome to the OB family.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Hi All,

I just joined, mainly to do some interested reading, and maybe buy some used gear to try out and/or sell some of the stuff I have, that hasn't worked out for me. With regard to forums like this one, I'm generally not a constant active member, but have flurries of activity and will then go away for a few months ... but will always react to PMs.

Now, on to the questions to be answered:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!

2) Location (General area is fine)

Silicon Valley, California.

3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)

2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro; black, currently with DYI roof rack based on Rhino base and some 8020 t-slot aluminium, iKamper Skycamp Mini on top. The 4Runner has very few modifications, for what we do not much is needed. We mostly keep things vehicle agnostic, so it can be used in various settings.

4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

Very little overlanding experience in the modern understanding of "Youtube overlanding", rather extensive experience hiking (many days, with all gear on my back), as well as motorcycle and car/van camping experience. mostly during times when "overlanding" wasn't a word yet and most of it all over Europe.

A year ago I jumped on the more gear driven overlanding train (e.g. roof top tent, drawer kitchen, complex electrical/water setups, etc.) with some wrong assumptions about myself, e.g. that I'd enjoy a roof top tent or would really want a drawer system, but time and many weekends out testing have shown that deep in my heart I'm a "keep it simple" person who likes to have gear that works in a multitude of settings and don't like complexity. Therefore I started out with too much enthusiasm and right now are in the process of "right sizing", which means going out more with my backpacking gear and slowly, over time, getting rid of the impulse buys I've made over the last year that haven't worked out.

Overall I have enjoyed the experience going out with the 4Runner, but again, coming from a much more trimmed down background, I sometimes can be snobby about ultra-complex rigs, but of course I also understand that different folks have different desires, maybe I can contribute a bit more in the keeping it light department and learn a few things about simple, but useful optimizations for the car camping setup.