freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Donn, Rebeca, Sami and Ora and often our granddog Padfoot are not true 4-wheeling, Overlanders, just campers that travel the Southwest looking for dispersed camping to run free. Donn and Rebeca started adventuring together in 1984 with a Ford 150 and a camper shell for a year-long trip across the USA. After a 30-year break for life, we are at it again.

This time we rock a NV200 Recon Weekender Camper Van or a Sportsmobile Promaster 2500 (depending on which vehicle our rock-climbing kids take off with).

We often spend weeknights watching Youtube adventure videos, but try to escape to the places within a couple hours of Albuquerque, New Mexico, on weekends.

Just starting to understand MVUMs and using Gaia and Avenza maps (when we can find our glasses).
Hello Donn, welcome from Phoenix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Great forum you all have here! I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast with an 11 year old son that's been car camping with me since he was 3. We often find ourselves up on hwy. 108 in developed campgrounds. When there we spend our days swimming and fishing in Pinecrest Lake.

I finally was able to afford a truck last year so we can get off the beaten path and away from the crowds. I feel he's old enough now to take him into some majestic spots in the Stainislaus Forest back country. Already have a few places mapped out after speaking with some locals last year while floating on the Clavey River. Looking forward to the process of turning my truck into a self sustained overlander.

2) Location (General area is fine)
Santa Cruz, California.

3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500. My son named it Twilight. He knows nothing of the movies. I call it Twilight The Black Hole. As it sucks up all my resources. Including gas with the thristy 8.1L. I didn't intend on getting a 2500. Was looking at the 1500's. But the deal was impossible to pass up. Try finding a low mile avalanche for less than 14G's. Not going to happen in my location. Besides the hit on gas I'm very happy I have a full float 14 bolt rear axle and gobs of torque. I'll definitely be investing in Rotopax fuel cans!

2nd owner and 98K miles on it. Rebuilt the transfer case, new water pump, and fresh fluids. Pretty sure the spark plugs were originals from 2003!

Plan is to add 33" MT Baja Boss for now and a 2" key lift with Bilsteins. Change the 3.70's to 4.56's and lockers. Not going to waste my money on a 6" bracket/knuckle lift that provides no increase in wheel travel. Plan is to put in a SAS kit from WFO in Auburn eventually.

4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)
None. Other than 4 wheeling most of my life on well traveled trails. Does that count? Though I was a Boy Scout back in the 80's. Loved it. I've had several rock crawlers over the years but just not into it much anymore.
Hello Anthony, welcome from Phoenix.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
View attachment 189939
I’m Chad and this is my trusty ole 2008 Land Rover LR3 v8 with over 200k on the clock. In North TX, but summer in CO as much as possible! I started off-roading with my first car, an olderJeep Waggoner back in 1991. Been a fan of the dirt and rocks ever since!
Hello Chad, welcome from Phoenix.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Unlost Overland checking-in from Iowa. Newish to Overlanding but not adventure. Starting on two wheels years ago I found a passion for exploring. Riding down Baja for 2 weeks with my brother started it all. Coming from a manual Jeep Gladiator into the current rig, Launch Edition Gladiator. My co-pilot couldn’t drive analog so moved into an automatic. After last year, getting 35 days in a tent I’ve decided to go with a more dedicated built out rig. Excited to meet new people and share my rig build and our future adventures.

-Unlost Overland
Hello Andrew, welcome from Phoenix.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
1) Don't have any pictures yet. Currently piecing my truck together to sleep off the ground for a change.
2) North Georgia - Foothills of the Appalachian Mountain Range
3) 2021 Toyota Tacoma DCSB OR
4) Novice here. But have done a lot of hiking/camping over the years. Now just adding a vehicle to the mix!
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Hank Outdoors @NC-Trooper
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: ButtMudBrooks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great forum you all have here! I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast with an 11 year old son that's been car camping with me since he was 3. We often find ourselves up on hwy. 108 in developed campgrounds. When there we spend our days swimming and fishing in Pinecrest Lake.

I finally was able to afford a truck last year so we can get off the beaten path and away from the crowds. I feel he's old enough now to take him into some majestic spots in the Stainislaus Forest back country. Already have a few places mapped out after speaking with some locals last year while floating on the Clavey River. Looking forward to the process of turning my truck into a self sustained overlander.

Santa Cruz, California.

2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500. My son named it Twilight. He knows nothing of the movies. I call it Twilight The Black Hole. As it sucks up all my resources. Including gas with the thristy 8.1L. I didn't intend on getting a 2500. Was looking at the 1500's. But the deal was impossible to pass up. Try finding a low mile avalanche for less than 14G's. Not going to happen in my location. Besides the hit on gas I'm very happy I have a full float 14 bolt rear axle and gobs of torque. I'll definitely be investing in Rotopax fuel cans!

2nd owner and 98K miles on it. Rebuilt the transfer case, new water pump, and fresh fluids. Pretty sure the spark plugs were originals from 2003!

Plan is to add 33" MT Baja Boss for now and a 2" key lift with Bilsteins. Change the 3.70's to 4.56's and lockers. Not going to waste my money on a 6" bracket/knuckle lift that provides no increase in wheel travel. Plan is to put in a SAS kit from WFO in Auburn eventually.

4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)
None. Other than 4 wheeling most of my life on well traveled trails. Does that count? Though I was a Boy Scout back in the 80's. Loved it. I've had several rock crawlers over the years but just not into it much anymore.
Welcome to Overland Bound
One of our Regional Directors @Neal A. Tew has an Avalanche also and can give you suggestions. Its a very capable rig.
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions.
For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representatives; Bay Area @PapaDave, Sac/Foothills @Magic Mike, North State @Cottonwoody, Central Valley @TOMB, Nevada @HappyOurOverlanding
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

1) Don't have any pictures yet. Currently piecing my truck together to sleep off the ground for a change.
2) North Georgia - Foothills of the Appalachian Mountain Range
3) 2021 Toyota Tacoma DCSB OR
4) Novice here. But have done a lot of hiking/camping over the years. Now just adding a vehicle to the mix!
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

Santa Cruz, California.

Hey Anthony
I am the Bay Area member rep and I can help connect you to meet ups that are happening near you. In Pleasanton CA there is a meet up on the second Sunday’s of the month and it has a great regular turn out and active. The Tri-Valley (Pleasanton) group had a big year with 7 trips and have 2021 all planned out!

March 13th we are doing a day run up to do some snow driving and our next meet up will be March 14th, 1-3pm. Below is a link to the meet up page and thread with information.

This is the regular meet up info

US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
View attachment 189939
I’m Chad and this is my trusty ole 2008 Land Rover LR3 v8 with over 200k on the clock. In North TX, but summer in CO as much as possible! I started off-roading with my first car, an olderJeep Waggoner back in 1991. Been a fan of the dirt and rocks ever since!
Welcome to Overland Bound Chad
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982. When in CO the Member Reps are @trail_runn4r on the Front Range and @OpenlanderZ on the Western Slope.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Unlost Overland checking-in from Iowa. Newish to Overlanding but not adventure. Starting on two wheels years ago I found a passion for exploring. Riding down Baja for 2 weeks with my brother started it all. Coming from a manual Jeep Gladiator into the current rig, Launch Edition Gladiator. My co-pilot couldn’t drive analog so moved into an automatic. After last year, getting 35 days in a tent I’ve decided to go with a more dedicated built out rig. Excited to meet new people and share my rig build and our future adventures.

-Unlost Overland
Welcome to Overland Bound
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Joe Hunt

ButtMudBrooks

Rank I

Contributor III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Jones
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build.
Thanks, Tim. I will definitely use this as a tool/resource as I complete everything and begin my journey!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Donn, Rebeca, Sami and Ora and often our granddog Padfoot are not true 4-wheeling, Overlanders, just campers that travel the Southwest looking for dispersed camping to run free. Donn and Rebeca started adventuring together in 1984 with a Ford 150 and a camper shell for a year-long trip across the USA. After a 30-year break for life, we are at it again.

This time we rock a NV200 Recon Weekender Camper Van or a Sportsmobile Promaster 2500 (depending on which vehicle our rock-climbing kids take off with).

We often spend weeknights watching Youtube adventure videos, but try to escape to the places within a couple hours of Albuquerque, New Mexico, on weekends.

Just starting to understand MVUMs and using Gaia and Avenza maps (when we can find our glasses).
Welcome to Overland Bound Donn, Rebeca, Sami and Ora.
I really dont know exactly what a true Overlander is but you guys sure sound like one. ;-)
As for the MVUM, our map on the app has all the USFS maps in the US and will have all the updates for each one. There are several pages that only deal with Gaia so that's a good place to start for that.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982

Swedish Iron

Rank I

Contributor III

UK
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Stanford-Beale
Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7TSB
New member here from the UK
Never been Overlanding but have travelled widely, maybe I can change that in 2021 with my Discovery 2.
Got some of the gear, lots to learn! This seems the best way!!
Did a mini road trip when over in the US recently (2019) - Indiana to Montana and back, Yellowstone was awesome
Salislbury plain_test.JPG

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
1) Picture - okay, it's attached.
2) Location (Just NE of Austin, TX)
3) Rig (2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie, Fox Coil Overs up front, iKamper X-Cover, Cooper SST Pro Tires, Centerline Wheels)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice and want to experience more!)
Hi there. There’s a monthly meetup at old settlers park, the first Saturday each month at 9am. So tomorrow.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Recently retired and looking forward to some adventure. Wife and I are the original proud owners of a 1994 Wrangler and a 2020 Gladiator from sunny Florida. The Gladiator is still getting prepped for overlanding and we can’t wait to get out.
I lived in Florida for over 20 years and I have a truck/team mascot that travels with me on my rig, his name is “Lynch”6264423D-0EE6-4BAE-855F-A1ECFF9282E1.jpeg

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

New member here from the UK
Never been Overlanding but have travelled widely, maybe I can change that in 2021 with my Discovery 2.
Got some of the gear, lots to learn! This seems the best way!!
Did a mini road trip when over in the US recently (2019) - Indiana to Montana and back, Yellowstone was awesome
View attachment 190060
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. If you are still in the build phase on your rig, be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build.

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hey, Marc and Care here ! We are very new to Overlanding. We are from MA. Our very high hopes are to get out there and begin our journey this spring/summer with our 4 month old German Shepard puppy <3 We will be adventuring in our 2020 Chevy Silverado.