Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Good evening! Finally took the plunge as a member.

I have a 2020 Toyota 4Runner. The only mods I’ve done so far are RSG rock sliders so my family could climb into the rig.

We have been a hiking, backpacking, camping, RV-Ing family forever and love the outdoors.

My kids are getting older and aren’t as interested with my need to camp and explore any longer. I’ve been obsessed with overlanding with the new SUV and have so many plans!

Next step is to build a platform in the rear with some drawers and probably a Gazelle T4.

I’m so excited to find a community I can share/talk/geek out with.

Hopefully I’ll find some nearby members in Minnesota.

Thanks!!!!

N8
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build. The member map you will find in the forums will show you members near you, it only gets you within 5 miles of their actual address for Security reasons but you can see those members close by to you.

Reactions: Newticus and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Good evening! Finally took the plunge as a member.

I have a 2020 Toyota 4Runner. The only mods I’ve done so far are RSG rock sliders so my family could climb into the rig.

We have been a hiking, backpacking, camping, RV-Ing family forever and love the outdoors.

My kids are getting older and aren’t as interested with my need to camp and explore any longer. I’ve been obsessed with overlanding with the new SUV and have so many plans!

Next step is to build a platform in the rear with some drawers and probably a Gazelle T4.

I’m so excited to find a community I can share/talk/geek out with.

Hopefully I’ll find some nearby members in Minnesota.

Thanks!!!!

N8
Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @toxicity_27
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello,

So I have decided to get back into camping after 25 years. I used to do some off Chevy Blazer 4x4 off roading with friends in the early 80’s in Michigan. Long story why I quit. Let’s just say a lake house with hot shower replaced my pop up camper. Anyway I’m looking forward to getting back out in the woods this year. Some of my set up.
Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan ( I will explain later...no really..stop laughing
Tent: Crua Outdoors Cottage
Heat: Mr. Buddy w 20 lb propane
Power: Solar Jackery 1000
Fridge: ac/dc Whynter 350 get to the sites
Chair: Strongback

I have owned three caravans as required to haul kids and work equipment. My daily driver is a Cadillac XTS. Now the van is still useful for what it is and can fit lots of gear and double as an overnight stealth sleeper. Plus it is paid for so there is that.
I plan on doing some dispersed camping on NF and State land for base camp and some hiking in the areas. The van is getting a three inch lift and some 29 inch off road rubber. I don’t plan on taking on anything more that light ORV trails to the sites.
The photo is an example of what my Van will look like. Also a couple pics of the 4 season insulated tent. I am heading out on my first adventure March 6th to Apalachicola National Forest for a seven night overland camp trip.

I may add a budget 4x4 at a later date. Thinking Landcruiser or Monterey maybe.

Glad to be here.

View attachment 188049View attachment 188047View attachment 188048View attachment 188049
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @James.Laidlaw & @Ohio Valley Overland

Reactions: Geolark

Contributor I

St Isidore Rd, Saint Isidore, ON, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hello everyone, my family and I are new into the Overland community. We are located a small rural town in Eastern Ontario Canada. My wife and I were avid geocachers for many years and enjoy the outdoors. We are new parents who want more for our Son than boring weekends around the house so we decided to up our adventure and explore nature. Our “rig” will be for softroading and nothing overly ambitious but we will be camping for sure. We are going to run our 2018 VW Tiguan 4 motion with about 2 inch lift(10 inches ground clearance) with 30 inch Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires. Thank you everyone in advance for support, advice and knowledge.

Hanzo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Frankfort, MI, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Vandervest
Member #

Hello everyone, my family and I are new into the Overland community. We are located a small rural town in Eastern Ontario Canada. My wife and I were avid geocachers for many years and enjoy the outdoors. We are new parents who want more for our Son than boring weekends around the house so we decided to up our adventure and explore nature. Our “rig” will be for softroading and nothing overly ambitious but we will be camping for sure. We are going to run our 2018 VW Tiguan 4 motion with about 2 inch lift(10 inches ground clearance) with 30 inch Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires. Thank you everyone in advance for support, advice and knowledge.
I like those little VWs, any pictures? I’ve never seen a lifted one.

Reactions: Kent R

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Reynolds
Hi everyone,
We are brand new to overlanding and our search led us to this forum. We are based out of Indy and truly enjoy camping with our 4 kids all over the country. The allure of getting offroad and doing more dispersed camping led us to overlanding. We are searching for the right vehicle that can serve as a capable overlander but also use during the daily grind. Excited to be here.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi everyone,
We are brand new to overlanding and our search led us to this forum. We are based out of Indy and truly enjoy camping with our 4 kids all over the country. The allure of getting offroad and doing more dispersed camping led us to overlanding. We are searching for the right vehicle that can serve as a capable overlander but also use during the daily grind. Excited to be here.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @James.Laidlaw & @Ohio Valley Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @ryancarman
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Halligan1201

Rank II

Contributor III

Byron, IL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Girone
John from Northern Illinois. Currently using a 2013 VW Touareg that I'm going to hand down to my son for his 16th over the summer and will be replacing with either a Ranger or Colorado. I guess of you are saying "vehicle dependant travel" is our definition off overlanding, I've got 40+ years of experience and have slept on the ground in 48 of 50 states. Little to no off-road experience other than beating the hell out of my 82 Scrambler when I was a kid. Hoping to find some good routes/sites and advice from the group.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build. By introducing kids to nature at an early age, you will instill the love of the land into them.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hi everyone,
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

John from Northern Illinois. Currently using a 2013 VW Touareg that I'm going to hand down to my son for his 16th over the summer and will be replacing with either a Ranger or Colorado. I guess of you are saying "vehicle dependant travel" is our definition off overlanding, I've got 40+ years of experience and have slept on the ground in 48 of 50 states. Little to no off-road experience other than beating the hell out of my 82 Scrambler when I was a kid. Hoping to find some good routes/sites and advice from the group.
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build. You came to the right place to find information to get you out on an adventure, there is a section of the forums dedicated to sharing track and trail information with other members, hopefully you can find an area you have not been to yet.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hi there!
1) Don't have a picture on my desktop yet, just phone. So those will come later.
2) Sacramanto, CA
3) 2018 Subaru Forester 2.5i
4) Novice. I used to take my 2004 4Runner on lots of BLM roads and have continued to do the same in the Subie!
Welcome to Overland Bound. I am one of your U.S. West member representatives, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike . You can also contact our Regional Director @Narbob If the need arises.

Make sure to browse through the new member threads. They are choked full of good information and will help you navigate the Overland Bound website. Also keep an eye on Rally Points and the member calendar for upcoming meet-ups, potential trainings and trail runs.

I look forward to meeting out there on the trail.

Mike

Billontherim

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Smith
I’m new to all this, have a truck lifted Nissan Titan and work for the gov in outdoor rec and want to get out more with the family. Favor USFS, BLM and other non NPS locations. Getting too old for tents and looking hard at a turtleback expedition trailer. Anyone know if you can attach a bike rack to the back of one of these. Need to be all inclusive w/family.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I’m new to all this, have a truck lifted Nissan Titan and work for the gov in outdoor rec and want to get out more with the family. Favor USFS, BLM and other non NPS locations. Getting too old for tents and looking hard at a turtleback expedition trailer. Anyone know if you can attach a bike rack to the back of one of these. Need to be all inclusive w/family.
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build. i Would guess most of the trailers have some sort of rack option available from either the original manufacturer or an aftermarket company.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hey guys! My name is Jay.
I’m new to the Overland community here. I am highly experienced in the Jeep Honor Badge community. I wanted to branch off and try something new, and finally got around to this community.

I have a 2020 Rubicon JL
2.5in lift with 37s on the way.
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build.