First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Hello all!

New member here #2207 from SoCal, Los Angeles to be exact.

I'm a complete newbie to overlanding...
Have been an avid hiker for 15+ years and have got into backpacking the last 2.
The fiancé (soon to be wife) have had Many road/camping trips from SoCal and north into Yosemite. We've also ventured out to Arizona and Itah a few times.

Have a few buddies into off-roading/pre running but pushing my daily rig to the limits isn't what I'm into.

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins megacab
Due to the longer wheel base, I won't be crawling up any awesome trails :cry:. So bring me back some dirt while I keep the BBQ hot at base camp :tonguewink:

Plans: camper shell and rack over shell and cab.
Still debating on RTT vs keeping gear on roof. More upgrades to follow!!

Aiming to do more adventures in California, AZ, Utah and New Mexico. Cheers y'all!

Nice to see another CTD, Welcome to the group!

Reactions: Grocery_runner

licataphotography

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Raleigh North Carolina
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Licata
Member #

Hey everyone I'm Daniel and my girlfriend is Evette. We are new members, #2185 and we are excited to be apart of an amazing community. We hope to share our travels and to meet you guys when we are on the road.
Location- South Florida
Vehicle- 2015 Tacoma (stock)
Experience- Not a ton but we are learning, we know how to cook
Occupation- I work in the medical field and Evette is a school teacher.
Why we explore- We met almost a year ago and haven't stopped wanting to travel and be adventurous. We love being outside and see new things or trying new things. We have a enjoyed our Tacoma and hope to get some good advice from you guys what upgrades we should do.
Big Trips- We are planning to take two months off next year and travel out west. If you are interested in meeting us or traveling with us let me know.

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

Hello all!

New member here #2207 from SoCal, Los Angeles to be exact.

I'm a complete newbie to overlanding...
Have been an avid hiker for 15+ years and have got into backpacking the last 2.
The fiancé (soon to be wife) have had Many road/camping trips from SoCal and north into Yosemite. We've also ventured out to Arizona and Itah a few times.

Have a few buddies into off-roading/pre running but pushing my daily rig to the limits isn't what I'm into.

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins megacab
Due to the longer wheel base, I won't be crawling up any awesome trails :cry:. So bring me back some dirt while I keep the BBQ hot at base camp :tonguewink:

Plans: camper shell and rack over shell and cab.
Still debating on RTT vs keeping gear on roof. More upgrades to follow!!

Aiming to do more adventures in California, AZ, Utah and New Mexico. Cheers y'all!

Nice truck! If you ever add WA to your adventure list, hollar!

Grocery_runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Marcaida
Member #

@XplorinMegacab & @c.r.e.weaponry ... Welcome!!!

@XplorinMegacab ... Just a thought on RRT/storage: you could keep the roof rack and put an RRT over your bed.
Yes! Definitely have thought about that...

I'm just torn between a custom fab bed rack, which I know will be uber times stronger than a shell.

The rack would be as high and streamlined to the cab.

Or a camper shell which provides the security for our gear versus the easy access of a rack. We like to do overnight- weekend backpacking trips.

During the warmer weather (but it's always warm in SoCal), I've got our 15ft tandem kayak strapped to the top of existing basket/roof rack. It'll be easier to load onto the rear from that height.

I'm just waiting for our wedding to be over in 2 weeks, then I get to add some gear to the rig.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

Grocery_runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Marcaida
Member #

T
Nice truck! If you ever add WA to your adventure list, hollar!
Thanks!!! Definitely want to make our way up there sooner or later. My fiancées best friends husband grew up near Mt. Rainier. He's an occasional off roader here in SoCal. He's mentioned the tons of locations up there in WA...
One day!!!

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Yes! Definitely have thought about that...

I'm just torn between a custom fab bed rack, which I know will be uber times stronger than a shell.

The rack would be as high and streamlined to the cab.

Or a camper shell which provides the security for our gear versus the easy access of a rack. We like to do overnight- weekend backpacking trips.

During the warmer weather (but it's always warm in SoCal), I've got our 15ft tandem kayak strapped to the top of existing basket/roof rack. It'll be easier to load onto the rear from that height.

I'm just waiting for our wedding to be over in 2 weeks, then I get to add some gear to the rig.
Another option is a mid-height bed rack, so that an RTT mounted on top is flush with the roof of the cab.rrtbedrack.jpg

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Grocery_runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Marcaida
Member #

Another option is a mid-height bed rack, so that an RTT mounted on top is flush with the roof of the cab.View attachment 8950
Nice! Any idea what was used to cover the sides? That beige looking cover. If I go the rack route I was considering a possibly roll up tonneau or some sort of canopy. I've seen racks built around a Best top soft camper shell.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

tntc

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peabody
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cobb
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1-TTC
Service Branch
Navy
Hello all,

Two months ago, after 20+ years in the VW/Audi world of water cooled fun, On a whim I traded in my Audi A4 turbo Avant rally wagon (270K- on the odometer) for a V-8 2005 Toyota 4 Runner Sport (84K on the od) that was near complete stock other than the exhaust and tires. Getting the Overland bug about 6 years ago after the purchase of a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, I wanted to add to the Overland Adventure with something new. Right place and right time put me at the local Toyota dealer who had the 4 Runner just sitting ready to go. Four days later I was picking it up just before school started and I haven't stopped finagling with it since.
The plan of upgrades hopefully takes about a year to complete. Looking forward to a one of a kind suburban rig when I am done that will take me to some great new places. First stop is New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia to test the waters.

Reactions: Kelly

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Nice! Any idea what was used to cover the sides? That beige looking cover. If I go the rack route I was considering a possibly roll up tonneau or some sort of canopy. I've seen racks built around a Best top soft camper shell.
I just pulled that image from a quick google search haha! But there's lots of options. You can always find a local shop to fab something up for you, and make it exactly how you want. ...This is getting off the "new-member" topic though, so you may want to search around the threads here for ideas, or check out some Dodge forums and ask around. Looking forward to seeing some progress!

Reactions: Grocery_runner

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Hey everyone I'm Daniel and my girlfriend is Evette. We are new members, #2185 and we are excited to be apart of an amazing community. We hope to share our travels and to meet you guys when we are on the road.
Location- South Florida
Why we explore- We met almost a year ago and haven't stopped wanting to travel and be adventurous. We love being outside and see new things or trying new things. We have a enjoyed our Tacoma and hope to get some good advice from you guys what upgrades we should do.
Big Trips- We are planning to take two months off next year and travel out west. If you are interested in meeting us or traveling with us let me know.
Welcome to the group,

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

Hi all, Ed B here.

Location- Inland Empire, Southern California
Vehicle- 2004 Lexus LX 470. Mostly stock, upgraded to a taller tire, All Terrain KO2. The vehicle has been surprisingly capable in stock trim.
Experience- Have been off roading and camping for over 30 years mostly in highly modified Jeeps. Switched to the Lexus and more of an exploring focus about three years ago.
Occupation- I retired last December, bought a utility trailer to carry all the gear and have enjoyed finding out of the way places and dispersed camping spots.

Hope to see and hopefully join some of you on the trail.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Hi all, Ed B here.

Location- Inland Empire, Southern California
Vehicle- 2004 Lexus LX 470. Mostly stock, upgraded to a taller tire, All Terrain KO2. The vehicle has been surprisingly capable in stock trim.
Experience- Have been off roading and camping for over 30 years mostly in highly modified Jeeps. Switched to the Lexus and more of an exploring focus about three years ago.
Occupation- I retired last December, bought a utility trailer to carry all the gear and have enjoyed finding out of the way places and dispersed camping spots.

Hope to see and hopefully join some of you on the trail.
Welcome to the group,

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

Location- South Florida
Welcome!

It was funny reading your story, because I'm from Miami (living in WA now though), I'm in the medical field, my wife is a teacher, and we're just getting starting with all of this adventuring as well!

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Hi I'm Joel I'm from Tucson az and in new to overlanding and I want to get into it and I found this community and you guys sound great so I joined as soon as I can I have a 07 jeep commander I haven't built it up yet but I will be soon View attachment 9023
Hey Joel! Just a heads up there is a Arizona section if you look by region [emoji106] I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

Reactions: Joel Mata