Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jones Jr
Member #

hello from Philadelphia oh, my name is Mike I've been playing with the idea of Overland for a long time now. My interest piqued when I was deployed in Afghanistan and saw those old Toyota trucks rolling around with the Afghan army. They will go up and down those mountains with ease while our vehicles struggle with all of the gear. I'm looking at purchasing a 4Runner next year and since I'm a newbie at this, definitely have open ears and an open mind to everyone here and all their experience and wisdom they can part my ways. Learn from others so I did not repeat their mistakes.

I've been watching Overland bound videos for a while and decided to take my foot and Dive Right In. I love the setup in the places that can be explored beyond the hardball.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
hello from Philadelphia oh, my name is Mike I've been playing with the idea of Overland for a long time now. My interest piqued when I was deployed in Afghanistan and saw those old Toyota trucks rolling around with the Afghan army. They will go up and down those mountains with ease while our vehicles struggle with all of the gear. I'm looking at purchasing a 4Runner next year and since I'm a newbie at this, definitely have open ears and an open mind to everyone here and all their experience and wisdom they can part my ways. Learn from others so I did not repeat their mistakes.

I've been watching Overland bound videos for a while and decided to take my foot and Dive Right In. I love the setup in the places that can be explored beyond the hardball.
Welcome to Overland Bound Mike.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Overland Expo East is this October. About EAST — Overland Expo®
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Wawa Skittletits
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Overland Expo East is in October.
About EAST — Overland Expo®
Quick online Tread Lightly! online awareness course
Tread Lightly | Online Courses

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all!

I'll try to dig up pics at some point, but none are on this laptop at the moment. I've got a nearly-stock 2006 4Runner Sport and a far-from-stock 2011 BMW R1200GSA. I have a couple decades of camping experience, but not necessarily any that has been done under the banner of "overlanding." I don't feel like I get out enough anymore, and would like to change that.

I live in the suburban purgatory between Baltimore and DC in Maryland now, but I lived in Albuquerque for a while, and grew up in Kansas City (MO side). Most of my outdoors experience has been in and around the Ozarks. Although I still drive back to KC a few times a year, I spend most of my time on the east coast.

Whenever this quarantine ends, I'd like to get out and do something outdoorsy!

Lampshade
Welcome to Overland Bound!
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @cgflyer
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Overland Expo East is in October.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey All! New member, Dave/Norsefalconer #23453. I have some experience, but not much. My most recent overlanding trips have been by motorcycle. Health reasons have "encouraged" a return to 4 wheels. For that I have a '92 Hilux Ext Cab. It needs gone through mechanically, and some upgrades added before I'll be secure taking it exploring.

Goal: Be actively involved with the group, make friends and memories
Welcome To Overland Bound Dave
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @NC-Trooper

Overland Expo east is in October;
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello from Portland Oregon, new member Aaron.
I recently purchased my first 4x4 and Im really interested in exploring the NW. I have a 19' 4Runner SR5 and so far the only thing I have done to it is install some AT tires and built a DIY awning which has been really helpful in its couple uses so far. I have camped and backpacked my whole life around the Mt Hood National Forrest but have only been a passenger in off road trips. I have discoverer overlanding through YouTube and forums and I have to say I'm hooked. I look forward to crossing paths with you guys and learn to be a successful overlander.

View attachment 152635
Welcome to Overland Bound Aaron.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Gabriel Bozeman
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.

Overland Expo West is this July https://www.overlandexpo.com/west
Check out the Overland Expo happening in Loveland CO this August;
About MOUNTAIN WEST — Overland Expo®

Reactions: Rollin_Stock

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

Welcome To Overland Bound Dave
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @NC-Trooper

Overland Expo east is in October;
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/
Thanks Kent! I'm glad to be here, and looking forward to having some fun and being challenged.

Reactions: Kent R

Malarkey21

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Howell, MI, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Malarkey
Member #

Hello!
I'm Kyle and live in Michigan. I have a Jeep Gladiator that is stock for right now. Its my third jeep (previously had 2 door TJ and JK). I would say I have a useable amount of offroad experience but lacking in the route finding / off paved road trip planning section.IMG_2712.JPG

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello!
I'm Kyle and live in Michigan. I have a Jeep Gladiator that is stock for right now. Its my third jeep (previously had 2 door TJ and JK). I would say I have a useable amount of offroad experience but lacking in the route finding / off paved road trip planning section.View attachment 152735
Welcome to Overland Bound Kyle.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Overland Expo East is this October. https://www.overlandexpo.com/east
Overland Expo Mountain West is this August. Overland Expo Mountain West is this August.https://www.overlandexpo.com/mtnwest
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Ohio Valley Overland

CubbyRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Harro
Member #

Hello from Memphis! Can't wait to get my member info!

Below is my 97 4Runner 5spd 4-cyl 4x4, pretty new to overlanding but a long-time Toyota guy and DIY-er. Mainly experienced in backpacking and camping.

View attachment 152743
That’s great! I love combining overlanding and backpacking. It’s a great way to get to those hard to access trail heads and get to more remote country faster.

Any trips planned yet?

elverde.t4r

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

West TN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
H.
Member #

That’s great! I love combining overlanding and backpacking. It’s a great way to get to those hard to access trail heads and get to more remote country faster.

Any trips planned yet?
NICE RIG!!!

I'm with you; the more remote, the better! Can't beat some of those trail views.

Heading up to Northern VA for Memorial Day week, hit the Smokys on the way there.

Starting the planning phases of a Southwest roadtrip in early Fall as well

CubbyRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Harro
Member #

Any trips planned yet?
NICE RIG!!!

I'm with you; the more remote, the better! Can't beat some of those trail views.

Heading up to Northern VA for Memorial Day week, hit the Smokys on the way there.

Starting the planning phases of a Southwest roadtrip in early Fall as well

The Smokys are on my list for sure! I would love to get out there during autumn colors and hit some backpacking trails. Here in Oregon it’s big ponderosa forests and conifers... definitely not the Smokey’s. Have fun out there

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hello!
I'm Kyle and live in Michigan. I have a Jeep Gladiator that is stock for right now. Its my third jeep (previously had 2 door TJ and JK). I would say I have a useable amount of offroad experience but lacking in the route finding / off paved road trip planning section.View attachment 152735
Hello Kyle, welcome to the OB community. I lived on the West side of the State, Grand Rapids area, for nearly 20 years until moving to Oregon in 2003. I'd love to have a Gladiator.

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

Hey not new here but a new rig to start building 1987 Toyota pickup 5 speed with the 22rte, picked up a taller topper for 75 dollars and semi built the back for a trial run for ten dollars

Attachments

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
hello to all i am a new member, but i am folowing the youtube chanels about overlanding and 4WD for a time now i upgraded from backpacking and car camping to a overlander that is currently being build little by little.
i am from europe, i am a dtuchman from the netherlands that lives a fair amount of time of the year in spain. my truck i a Toyota Hilux 2.4 Diesel and i am loving it.View attachment 152467
Hello Arjan, welcome to the OB community.

Reactions: Kent R and arjan

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
I am a "member representative" but feel bad because unlike some, I have been swamped with work right now and haven't been able to commit to anything for the last 2 months. I would like to schedule a meet up once the region's restrictions lift, but I am still learning about the area myself. I grew up in Hagerstown, MD but didn't really do any wheeling or camping until after moving away. I've been back in the area (DC/Northern Virginia) for a few years and getting my feet wet slowly. We did a meet up in the Fall at my house and 4 of us just hung out around my fire pit and talked about our rigs. I have parking at my house for at least a dozen vehicles and more across the street and can entertain quite a few on the property...So most of my meetups will likely be like a backyard bbq and hopefully we can find some people to do some tutorials. I also have space to wrench with a decent tool selection, so I offer that up too to those that don't have that available to them at home. I'm not a mechanic or expert by any means, but I like to pretend and get dirty.

I do try to check the Forum everyday and respond to PM's and posts if I get tagged, so I am trying to stay involved, just haven't been able to schedule anything and honestly, most East Coast Regions are probably in the same boat...I see all of the desert dwellers still enjoying their weekend jaunts and I am jealous.

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Hello!
Kyle, happy to send some pics of my Gladiator build if you need inspiration! haha, but welcome to the club. Michigan has a ton of fun spots, at least 3 off-road parks that I know of and of course Silver Lake is awesome fun. I lived near Detroit for several years and played a lot in my last JK Rubi that I had then.