Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone, I'm pretty experienced in the camping and hiking side of the outdoors but less so but not a complete novice with Overlanding. Experience lies mostly in mild well-maintained trails and the military operations. I have two rigs one is currently (possibly permanently) out of commission a 95 Toyota 4Runner has some heavy-duty springs and mud terrains, the other is my 19 Subaru Crosstrek it's a daily driver with plans to make it a mild backcountry and camp vehicle. Hope to learn some things, help some people, and have a good time here.

Located just west of the DFW Texas area.
Welcome to Overland Bound

The DFW are meet-up is a great group you should check it out if possible.
https://www.overlandbound.com/event/dfw-monthly-recurring-overland-bound-meet/
@Craig M is the contact

Reactions: 7YODA5

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Everyone! I am new to overloading and camping in general... I just bought a 2019 Subaru Outback and I am getting it lifted and put on some AT tires next week! Going to be looking in the forums for some good places to camp Labor Day weekend that aren't technical so I can get some momentum!
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. Your closest Member Representative is @Barclay

Pine Watt

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Pine
Last Name
Watt
good Morning and welcome to Overland Bound. As @Kent R stated I am your West member Representative and if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me @Magic Mike. There are several meet-ups within driving distance from the Bay Area. Check Rally Points and the meetup threads for info. Look forward to seeing you out there.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware there was a rep. I'll check the meetup thread!

RedHawk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Atlanta, GA 30315, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Service Branch
DisabledArmy Veteran
1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
I'm still trying to decide what to get. I have a 2017 Subaru Outback, but my wife is slowly taking it over and I have kids about to turn driving age.
2) Location (General area is fine)
I live in Lilburn, Georgia. This is about 7 miles from Stone Mountain, or 2,200 miles from San Diego, CA.
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
Suggestions? I'm thinking 2004 Ford Excursion, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4, 20xx Toyota 4Runner, 201X Ford F150, or something somewhere in between. I plan to buy soon since my kids are about to take my extra vehicle.
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)
Army for 5 years, not sure if that counts. Novice or a level just below Novice? I'm not really sure.

csmullins89

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairfax, VA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Mullins
Member #

Hi All,

I have just recently picked up 2000 Nissan frontier cre cab with a v6 I'm looking to turn it into a decent overland rig with rack and roof top tent. Live in the northern Virginia area looking for a good offroad shop and any recommendations for parts and tents. Thanks in advance and I look forward to many adventures.

Omegab74

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Texas, USA
First Name
Rodney
Last Name
Burden
Member #

Hello, My name is Omega and I am planning for a overland trip after retirement from the Military and a few trips close in the area around North Texas and Oklahoma Probably start out with Blue River. I have a 2017 JKU which I am working getting set up and gear needed for big trip in about a year. I am going to use small trips to fine tune gear and setup to make the big trip fun and easy.
IMG_0483.JPG

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Rodney (@Omegab74 ), welcome from Oklahoma. The Ouachita National Forest in SE Oklahoma and Arkansas is nice and a fairly common place for North Texas overlanders to go, as is the Ozark NF also in Arkansas.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. There is a DFW meet up on Aug 24th if you are able to make it, US Southwest - DFW Monthly Recurring Overland Bound Meet - August 2019
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

Reactions: Iwata77

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello, My name is Omega and I am planning for a overland trip after retirement from the Military and a few trips close in the area around North Texas and Oklahoma Probably start out with Blue River. I have a 2017 JKU which I am working getting set up and gear needed for big trip in about a year. I am going to use small trips to fine tune gear and setup to make the big trip fun and easy.
View attachment 111799

Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Brienfor help or information. Your closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982 & @Iwata77.

The DFW area is just getting going again with a meet-up, if your interested check out this Rally Point for details.
https://www.overlandbound.com/event/dfw-monthly-recurring-overland-bound-meet/

Reactions: Iwata77

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi All,

I have just recently picked up 2000 Nissan frontier cre cab with a v6 I'm looking to turn it into a decent overland rig with rack and roof top tent. Live in the northern Virginia area looking for a good offroad shop and any recommendations for parts and tents. Thanks in advance and I look forward to many adventures.

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Your Interim Regional Director is @Kent R.
Your Member Representatives are;
@Team Harrington - Vermont, Main, New Hampshire
@EscoTerrestrial - New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut
@Wawa Skittletits - Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia
@NovaBound - Virginia, Maryland, Delaware

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm still trying to decide what to get. I have a 2017 Subaru Outback, but my wife is slowly taking it over and I have kids about to turn driving age.
I live in Lilburn, Georgia. This is about 7 miles from Stone Mountain, or 2,200 miles from San Diego, CA.
Suggestions? I'm thinking 2004 Ford Excursion, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4, 20xx Toyota 4Runner, 201X Ford F150, or something somewhere in between. I plan to buy soon since my kids are about to take my extra vehicle.
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)
Army for 5 years, not sure if that counts. Novice or a level just below Novice? I'm not really sure.
Welcome To Overland Bound

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The Regional Director will be able to get you in touch with a local Member Representative.

Cambo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cariboo
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Noa
New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
Hello, glad to have found you guys!
I am currently planning my next overlanding vehicle, 2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel with 6 speed manual trailering my kitchen and Mercedes 230 gwagon with a 280 engine swap.
Have done quite a few trips but long to be back down the Baja!

Contributor I

Oklahoma
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Weaver
Hello! New member here living in Oklahoma. I love the outdoors (hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc) and my wife and I used to do a lot of backpacking when we were younger. Now we have 2 children (ages 4 and 2) and we want to get them involved in the outdoors and hopefully be as passionate about it as we are. If nothing else, they will get to experience nature some and if everything turns out all right, they will look back and cherish the memories. My wife and I, who have been together since high school, haven't really done any vehicular camping in our life (I'm 33, my wife is 32). However, with the young ones in tow, this is the route we see ourselves going for the foreseeable future.

I've had a lot of off-road vehicles in my time, mostly jeeps. Typically built for crawling and/or just playing around off-road. For the past 2 years, I've been driving an old 1995 F-150 (my hunting truck previously) and putting back the money saved looking at all options as to what vehicle I would base my build off of. After a lot of time spent scouring the internet, I decided on a Toyota Tacoma as my base vehicle. I still need a truck for a lot of things I do, so that narrowed it down a bit. I've owned one Tacoma and one 4Runner in the past and both were great vehicles. With that said, I'm currently waiting for the 2020 model's to hit the lots and buy one new. I like the new additions the 2020 models will have and am willing to wait and pay for those features.

Knowing I am going to buy a new Tacoma, I've been buying a few things as sales come up. So far I've bought the following:

- OME BP-51 Suspension - make room for larger tires and more travel.
- SPC Upper Control Arms - prevent rubbing.
- Victory 4x4 Roof Rack - to carry additional items.

Other items on the short list for me are:

- Tires - number 1 thing that typically needs an upgrade in my opinion.
- Rock Sliders - rocker panels are expensive to fix and it will allow me access to my roof rack.
- Lighting - I like to able to see where I'm going.
- Diamondback Bed Cover - To keep stuff reasonably dry and I can stack waterproof items on top. Still need my truck bed for hauling non camping items.
- Recovery Boards - most situations I've found myself needing recovery where usually due to loss of traction.

Those items above will be installed immediately once I receive the new truck. The list of "things to add in the future" is significantly longer, but I'd like to get out there some and see what I NEED vs what I WANT. Well, I hope that introduction wasn't too long. I really look forward to learning a lot of new things as my family and I embark on this new journey. I'm really excited about getting into the outdoors in this new way and teaching my children about the outdoors. My father wasn't around to teach me anything about the outdoors and I'm fortunate enough to be there for my kids and guide them along the way. I'm sure some things we will be learning together, lol. Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you've come this far. Have a great weekend! - I'll be starting mine by going on a wild hog hunt tonight. :blush:

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hello Everyone! I am new to overloading and camping in general... I just bought a 2019 Subaru Outback and I am getting it lifted and put on some AT tires next week! Going to be looking in the forums for some good places to camp Labor Day weekend that aren't technical so I can get some momentum!
Check Out the LA meetup on 8/10. Hope to see you there.

US West - OverlandBound Westside LA Meetup

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Greetings from SoCal! I bought a '18 4runner just over a year ago and the offloading bug bit me. I was very heavily into hiking, backpacking, mountain biking in my teens and 20's. I'm looking to get into overloading as a way to get back into the outdoors and get out with my family.

-'18 Toyota 4runner
-Ham call - KJ6CNN
- San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, CA
View attachment 111661
Check out the LA meetup on 8/10. Hope to see you there!
US West - OverlandBound Westside LA Meetup