Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

Broken

Rank 0

Contributor I

thanks for having me, I’m getting out of riding my Rzr and have been doing long trips in that, but tired of trailering it the riding then driving home.
Love the idea of just being able to cover some more ground and exploring without having to go back to trailer.
I’m looking for a overland rig,I narrowed it down to 4 door Rubicon or Chevy ZR2.
Any advice on rig choice ?
Thanks Bryon

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Hey everyone, my name is Alex. Just got into the outdoors back in September with the purchase of my Jeep.
Rig: 2016 White Jeep Wrangler JKU Sahara
Experience: a few months of off road trails, camping, and getting stuck in the snow along with countless hours of YouTube videos.
Hiya Alex (@AlexWood) and welcome to Overland Bound! Jeeps have an amazing ability to draw their owners out into the adventure of the outdoors... it is an awesome feature.

There are a number of great overlanding events occurring throughout the PNW, including in your area! I recommend starting out by checking into the Overland Bound NorthWest Region forum [link] for meetups and to get to know your neighbors. There is a meetup coming up next Friday (May 3rd) a little North of you in Burlington if you can make it. It was organized by @Gabriel Bozeman and is posted up [link] on the Rally Point system. Generally speaking, most of our events are posted to the Rally Point system [link], so you might want to check that out periodically.

You might also be interested in attending the PNW's biggest event, the NW Overland Rally [link] in the end of June. There will be a lot of Overland Bound members and tons of opportunities to meet people (even ones you probably watch on Youtube), learn new skills, and see some of the greatest equipment straight from the manufactures.

I look forward to seeing you out there on the trails and at meetups! Until then, if you need anything, feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hi - Vanessa here, new member looking to learn more and ask the occasional question. I am American but currently living in London. I aspire to travel throughout Europe in my Jeep Wrangler with my doggos (see photo). Any location suggestions are welcome!View attachment 95165
Welcome to the group.
We have a number of meet ups being arranged including looking at a trip to Salisbury Plain and further North in Wales and Northumbria.

Keep an eye on the rally point events and west Europe forum for future meets and we have a west Europe Facebook page.

If you need any assistance or advice please do not hesitate to contact me, I’m here to ensure you get maximum returns for your membership.

Reactions: vandrarphoto

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
View attachment 95227
Hey, I’m Dave and this is a picture of my 1985 HJ75 Landcruiser Troopy. I’m currently in Anchorage, Alaska, and I’m new to overlanding. I’ve got some experience hiking and camping, but I’m a novice when it comes to vehicle-based adventures.
Welcome to Overland Bound Dave (@Rhetoricdying)! That is a great looking classic Landcruiser! Anchorage is a great place to get into overlanding since you can drive 20 minutes and be in the amazing wilderness of Alaska. Head down the Kenai, over to the Aleutian side, up to Denali... what a great place to be! Anyway, there are a number of members up in your area, so I encourage you to head on over to our NorthWest Region forum [link] and introduce yourself there. Hopefully as things thaw out you all can organize some meetups and adventures. If you want to head down to the lower 48 for adventure, I suggest taking a look at the Rally Point [link] system to get an idea of events happening throughout the region.

I'm hoping to get up to Anchorage in the next year or so and hope that I will get to meet you in person then. Until then, , feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
thanks for having me, I’m getting out of riding my Rzr and have been doing long trips in that, but tired of trailering it the riding then driving home.
Love the idea of just being able to cover some more ground and exploring without having to go back to trailer.
I’m looking for a overland rig,I narrowed it down to 4 door Rubicon or Chevy ZR2.
Any advice on rig choice ?
Thanks Bryon
Hi Bryon (@Broken) and welcome to Overland Bound. I will always recommend a Jeep, as I feel that the design fits my style of adventuring better. Things such as the narrower track, great departure angles, and incredible aftermarket support make it perfect for ME... but that is just for me an my style. Decide on what your style is and find a rig to meet it. I also recommend getting together with other overlanders to see what they have and what they have done with their rigs. The great news there is that you are in a perfect location! The Willamette Valley is a happening place for Overland Bound members thanks to @Roy & Kristin Zirpoli. They have done a great job of organizing meetups and other events in your area. I recommend checking out the NorthWest Region's forum [link] to see what is happening. Events are also posted up to the Rally Point system [link], so keep an eye on that.

I look forward to seeing you out there! If you need anything, feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.

oilwellfixer

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
Hi all, sharing my vehicle and project with you.
Its a 1978 AM General, M35A2C. Multifuel, dropside bed, power steering, heater, MRAP wheel conversion, 295.85.r20 Goodyear MVT tires, flipped hubs.
After looking for about 3 years, we purchased this from a museum. We've had it about 5 years, and enjoyed cruising around and fixing it up.
I always wanted to find a nice ambulance body for camping and outings, but either the cost or logistics prevented that. Until...A friend heard about what i was looking for, they had this 8x10 fiberglass insulated box, sitting at their yard.
I worked out a deal with the manager, and now its found a home on the "deuce".
The box has spent several years in the oil field, so it needed extensive cleaning inside, as well as outside, but was built to take some abuse. It did come equipped with an electrical panel, and double pane tinted windows. The HVAC unit on the front will be removed, and the box will then be slid forward about 18" . A 48" cab over sleeper will be added there in its place.
There is enough room for built in dining area that converts to sleeping, a kitchen, as well as a potty/shower combo.
As of now its in the cleaning and de-construction and design stage. Once the weather breaks my neighbor is coming over with his crane and the HVAC unit it will be the next thing off.
Thanks for checking it out, and looking forward to some input from some members, and better weather...Thanks all.

Attachments

Broken

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi Bryon (@Broken) and welcome to Overland Bound. I will always recommend a Jeep, as I feel that the design fits my style of adventuring better. Things such as the narrower track, great departure angles, and incredible aftermarket support make it perfect for ME... but that is just for me an my style. Decide on what your style is and find a rig to meet it. I also recommend getting together with other overlanders to see what they have and what they have done with their rigs. The great news there is that you are in a perfect location! The Willamette Valley is a happening place for Overland Bound members thanks to @Roy & Kristin Zirpoli. They have done a great job of organizing meetups and other events in your area. I recommend checking out the NorthWest Region's forum [link] to see what is happening. Events are also posted up to the Rally Point system [link], so keep an eye on that.

I look forward to seeing you out there! If you need anything, feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.
Thanks for the info, I’m in process of building house so will be looking to purchase after house is done .im a research guy and trying to figure out what to get m there’s pros to both rigs

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Falonitus

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bealeton, VA, USA
First Name
Falon
Last Name
Pereira
Member #

Hey everyone. Falon here. Brand new member. I’m pretty new to overlanding. I have a 2011 Jeep JK. Super excited to finally be apart of the community after about a year of lurking. I’m from NorCal near Sacramento. I would post a picture of the rig but I’m going to be upgrading to a JKU soon or maybe one of those new Gladiators.

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey everyone. Falon here. Brand new member. I’m pretty new to overlanding. I have a 2011 Jeep JK. Super excited to finally be apart of the community after about a year of lurking. I’m from NorCal near Sacramento. I would post a picture of the rig but I’m going to be upgrading to a JKU soon or maybe one of those new Gladiators.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
There are two meet-up’s in your area if you are interested, both are on the meet-up page of the forum and the calendar.
Sierra Foothills Overlanders monthly meeting.
West - Sierra Foothills Overlanders Monthly OLB meet-up/meeting
Sacramento weekly meet-up.
Sacramento: Weekly Meet-up

I am your U.S. West Member Representatives, if there is anything I can do to help message me at @Magic Mike
If you have any questions message your Regional Director on the forum at @Narbob

Reactions: Narbob

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Its a 1978 AM General, M35A2C. Multifuel, dropside bed, power steering, heater, MRAP wheel conversion, 295.85.r20 Goodyear MVT tires, flipped hubs.
After looking for about 3 years, we purchased this from a museum. We've had it about 5 years, and enjoyed cruising around and fixing it up.
I always wanted to find a nice ambulance body for camping and outings, but either the cost or logistics prevented that. Until...A friend heard about what i was looking for, they had this 8x10 fiberglass insulated box, sitting at their yard.
The box has spent several years in the oil field, so it needed extensive cleaning inside, as well as outside, but was built to take some abuse. It did come equipped with an electrical panel, and double pane tinted windows. The HVAC unit on the front will be removed, and the box will then be slid forward about 18" . A 48" cab over sleeper will be added there in its place.
There is enough room for built in dining area that converts to sleeping, a kitchen, as well as a potty/shower combo.
As of now its in the cleaning and de-construction and design stage. Once the weather breaks my neighbor is coming over with his crane and the HVAC unit it will be the next thing off.
Thanks for checking it out, and looking forward to some input from some members, and better weather...Thanks all.

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: Narbob

Jakes2514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sutton Heath, Sutton, Woodbridge, IP12 3EQ, United Kingdom
First Name
Jakes
Last Name
van der Merwe
Member #

Hi there OB Community!

I have been lurking and reading in the background for some time now and am starting to take the plunge into some serious OB exploring with the purchase of what will become my Overlanding Bakkie (South African equivalent for Ute, Rig, Pickup, Truck, etc). The image bellow is when I picked it up from the Ford Dealership in Portsmouth just yesterday.

So who am I, born and raised in South Africa currently living in the United Kingdom, currently in the South of England but I move every two years due to postings to new units. I have a great love of the outdoor lifestyle and am really passionate to get my son (age 3) hooked on it as well.
I have a lot of camping experience but not 'Vehicle dependent' overland travel, if you exclude military experience. My aim is to have a setup that makes life easy and allow us to set-up and tear down as fast as possible with as little headaches as possible but am 100% certain there will be great trial and error ;)

The vehicle is a 2016, Ford - Ranger Wildtrak, 3.2L Diesel 5 Cylinder DuraTorq power plant, with only 12000 miles on the clock, so just about run in in my opinion. I already have the first part of the build on roder but will keep that for a 'Rig Build' tread.

That is me for now I am looking forward to get involved and meet new people and see new places!!

Safe Travels
Jakes

RangerNew.JPG

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
Jordan here. Born and raised in St Lawrence Valley in Upstate NY just a stones throw from the Canadian border. Now i have the good fortune of living miles from town, in the scenic Adirondack Mountain Foothills. I'm a US Army Veteran (68W Combat Medic), and former LEO. I currently work in private sector Emergency Medical Services. I've been Overlanding for the better part of the past decade to one degree or another and I've had a few different rigs over the years, including a 2006 Tahoe, 2004 TJ, and a 2010 JKU, to name a few. My current rig is a 2007 Jeep WK with a RC 2" BB, riding on 265-70-r17 Duratracs on stock wheels with 1" spacers. I've added an Apex rack to factory cross bars and will be fabricating some steel cross bars to get rack tucked in a little tighter to the rig in the coming weeks. Lighting and Comms setup to follow as well as custom jack, and traction board mounts for the rack. Looking forward to gaining some insight from the forums, and passing along what knowledge i possess to others.

Happy Trails

AlexWood

Rank 0

Contributor I

Snohomish, WA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Wood
Hiya Alex (@AlexWood) and welcome to Overland Bound! Jeeps have an amazing ability to draw their owners out into the adventure of the outdoors... it is an awesome feature.

There are a number of great overlanding events occurring throughout the PNW, including in your area! I recommend starting out by checking into the Overland Bound NorthWest Region forum [link] for meetups and to get to know your neighbors. There is a meetup coming up next Friday (May 3rd) a little North of you in Burlington if you can make it. It was organized by @Gabriel Bozeman and is posted up [link] on the Rally Point system. Generally speaking, most of our events are posted to the Rally Point system [link], so you might want to check that out periodically.

You might also be interested in attending the PNW's biggest event, the NW Overland Rally [link] in the end of June. There will be a lot of Overland Bound members and tons of opportunities to meet people (even ones you probably watch on Youtube), learn new skills, and see some of the greatest equipment straight from the manufactures.

I look forward to seeing you out there on the trails and at meetups! Until then, if you need anything, feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.
I am looking forward to attending as many events as possible. Thank you for all the great information! Definitely looking forward to meeting you guys.

AlexWood

Rank 0

Contributor I

Snohomish, WA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Wood
By far one of the coolest builds i've seen! Cant wait to see the progression of this thing - thanks for sharing.

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Jordan here. Born and raised in St Lawrence Valley in Upstate NY just a stones throw from the Canadian border. Now i have the good fortune of living miles from town, in the scenic Adirondack Mountain Foothills. I'm a US Army Veteran (68W Combat Medic), and former LEO. I currently work in private sector Emergency Medical Services. I've been Overlanding for the better part of the past decade to one degree or another and I've had a few different rigs over the years, including a 2006 Tahoe, 2004 TJ, and a 2010 JKU, to name a few. My current rig is a 2007 Jeep WK with a RC 2" BB, riding on 265-70-r17 Duratracs on stock wheels with 1" spacers. I've added an Apex rack to factory cross bars and will be fabricating some steel cross bars to get rack tucked in a little tighter to the rig in the coming weeks. Lighting and Comms setup to follow as well as custom jack, and traction board mounts for the rack. Looking forward to gaining some insight from the forums, and passing along what knowledge i possess to others.

Happy Trails

View attachment 95349
Welcome to Overland Bound

Romose

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Gardena, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Romo
Member #

Hello Everyone. I am Michael and am intermediate to experienced in overlanding. I like to get out of the city for a few days and live out of my truck with my fiance and 3 dogs. Look forward to meeting some of you on the trails.

Rig: 2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE7

Attachments

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hello Everyone. I am Michael and am intermediate to experienced in overlanding. I like to get out of the city for a few days and live out of my truck with my fiance and 3 dogs. Look forward to meeting some of you on the trails.

Rig: 2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE7
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
West - Reoccurring - OverlandBound Westside LA Meetup - 03/09/2019
If you have any questions message your Regional Director on the forum at @Narbob

San Fernando Valley
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/san-fernando-valley-los-angeles-ca-monthly-meet-up-sfv-rigs-and-coffee.19086/

I am one of the U.S. West Member Representatives, if there is anything I can do to help message me at @Magic Mike