Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Greetings!
My name is Benjamin, and I live (currently) in Kansas City, Missouri.
I have a lovely wife and an 8 month old son, who I can't wait to take on ALL the adventures!

I don't have a rig yet, but am hoping to by the end of the year (once I get finances straightened out!). With said, I'm open to suggestions. I grew up camping, and have a bit of experience off-roading, but I am new to over landing.

I look forward to getting a rig and starting my family adventures.

Cheers.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-meetups.24/
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-trip-planning.21/

You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overlland Bound by Region” section of the forum toward the bottom of the main forum page.

Here is the link to contact your Regional Director.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-bound-regions.5928/

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi, nice community you have created here. I've been reading threads for a while and decided it was time to join up. It has been a long time (since I was a teen, I'm now "old.") since I've made any excursions that were not about the destination as much as the journey. My better half and I have decided we need some adventures. I work from home as a Sr Systems Admin for a CMMS SaaS and volunteer as a first responder with my local volunteer rescue squad. I'm in western Maine, the office is in NC, so glad I don't have to commute :). Both our drivers are 4x4 (she has a Libby, I have a Nitro) but neither are planned to be our traveling partner. As soon as the snow melts (no garage :( ) I will getting my old friend back to safe, legal, and kitted to suit our plans.

1979 VW Transporter, stock T4 2.0l FI. Winter hit early in Maine (first week of October), I still have some more body finessing to complete. Will be doing a repaint, new window seals, rack, roo bar, decent lighting, replacing jack points with 2" receivers, and skid plates based off the VW guide for rough terrain guide. Mechanically, I've already gone through the brakes with rebuilt calipers, new rotors, hardware, pads\shoes, booster hose, hard & soft lines. Steering has been refreshed where needed, new CV boots and joints repacked, new fuel lines, rebuilt injectors. I still need to wire up a TS-II rheostat, CHT gauge, rebuild heat exchangers, and replace the exhaust. It still has on it the 195/8.5-14 BFG-ATs that I ran when it was last on the road in 2013. They still look great and have plenty of tread, but since they have been NLA for at least 5-6 years in this size, I'll be replacing them. I'm thinking of going with steel A4\Passat\CLK rims in 15 or 16" to have a selection of AT tires since the pickings in 14" are damn slim. I know I can get General Grabbers in 14", maybe still some Kuhmos? Put some good tires on these things and they can be quite capable off the pavement with little else for mods.

Inside I'm still planning out. I will be running a house battery with an 1000w inverter (though trying to use as many 12v things as possible) as well as 110v shore power, 100w suitcase solar, interior storage, something(s) for cold food, small sink, Webasco-type diesel heater, and a small burner inside for coffee\hot water, with meal prep outside weather permitting. The spare will be moved outside to either the roo bar, a rear swing mount, or the rack. There's only two of us so not sure if will build a rock n roll bed or just go with a permanent platform - still playing around in Sketchup to see what I prefer.

Last time on the road in 2013:

View attachment 86337

Why I had to stop work on it early October :(

View attachment 86338

The interior is a blank slate :)

View attachment 86339
Welcome to Overland Bound

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey all,

My name is John. I'm in SLC, Utah. I've been camping/backpacking since I was a kid, but have always been more of a "roughing it" kinda guy. However, I have recently met the woman of my dreams and her 8 year old son......both of whom had never been camping before I came along. I'm now in the process of "glamping" up my gear to make them more comfortable. I just picked up a '17 Tacoma that I am slowly beginning to mod and am looking hard at various off-road trailer options. I'm looking forward to meeting like-minded people to learn from. Cheers!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.

You are in the Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overlland Bound by Region” section of the forum toward the bottom of the main forum page.

There are lots of very active members in Utah just check the member map to see if any of them are close.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Afternoon!

Carmen from Louisiana. Joining to get out and about and enjoy the great outdoors. I have a '14 Jeep JKU. I hope I can get the map and calendar to work on this forum so I can see who is in the area.

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week.

You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overlland Bound by Region” section of the forum toward the bottom of the main forum page.

Reactions: J-Nessa

ADVTouring

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Great Smoky Mountains, United States
First Name
Damien
Last Name
Meredith
Member #

Hey all!

Greetings from East Tennessee and the
Great Smoky Mountians!

My experience is novice although I hope to change that much over the near future.

Starting point for my rig is a
2015 Subaru Forester.

If anyone is like minded and in the area of the Smokies lets meet up. Im always looking for an adventure and new areas to explore. Im all about learning more of this area.

Looks like a great place you have here, Thank you for having me.

Attachments

Chris Qua

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
Hi, my name is Chris. I live in the northern Catskills of NY. I explore in a '97 Jeep Wrangler.

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

Hi, I'm Gary from Colorado, near Denver. Move out here from Connecticut about 18 months ago. Recently retired, I bought a Toyota 4Runner to explore the West. I love the outdoors; spent a lot of time in the back country in New England and now I'm here to explore this area. I like photography, sure glade we have digital format areas, the film expense would make me broke. Looking to meet like mined people in the area.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hi, I'm Seth. I pick up my 2019 Ram this week. I'm hoping to outfit it so I can make memories with my wife and 2 small children. Glad to be part of the forum!
Welcome to Overland Bound, glad your here. Check the forums for your local Overland groups and meet ups.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

KDC

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lawton, OK
Member #

Hey everyone! I am in the Oklahoma City area and recently bought a 2016 Ram Power Wagon. Hoping to make some memories with the wife and kids with it on the trails! It's been awhile since I have had a 4x4 so this is something I have looked forward to for quite some time.
Welcome. If you haven’t already make sure you check out the thread

Oklahoma overlanders where ya at?
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/Oklahoma-overlanders-where-ya-at?.3567/

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Hi, I'm Gary from Colorado, near Denver. Move out here from Connecticut about 18 months ago. Recently retired, I bought a Toyota 4Runner to explore the West. I love the outdoors; spent a lot of time in the back country in New England and now I'm here to explore this area. I like photography, sure glade we have digital format areas, the film expense would make me broke. Looking to meet like mined people in the area.
Welcome! I will soon be a resident of CO as well. Also have a passion for photo and video! +1

Reactions: Kent R

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

IMG_3700.jpg
Welcome! I will soon be a resident of CO as well. Also have a passion for photo and video! +1
Your move is about as long as ours... Long winter this year, lots of snow in the mountains. It might be till June before it melts in some passes.

Attachments

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I am
View attachment 86556

Your move is about as long as ours... Long winter this year, lots of snow in the mountains. It might be till June before it melts in some passes.
also originally from CT. Moved down to NC when I was about 10 years old. Been in FL for last 7 years and decided it is time to move out west with the gf. Very excited to meet new people in the community out there and hit some cool trails. Nice photo!

Reactions: Kent R