Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hello and Thanks! I'm John From MA. New to overlanding but lots of winter camping with my 2 old Rangers. 2018 Tacoma SR5. Some sliders and tires are on my short list. New Adventures
Welcome to OLB and the East Region!
If you have any questions or want help planning a trip or meetup of your own feel free to message me.

When looking for events near you check the Calendar at:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/calendar
Looking for a meetup? Check this link:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-meetups.24/
Looking for the U.S. East Forum? Check this link:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/u-s-east-va-wv-md-de-nj-pa-ny-ct-ri-ma-nh-vt-me.83/

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hi everyone from the snowy Pacific Northwest. I’ve been a member for a few months but I haven’t posted anything yet. I am looking for people in my area to go out with and ride some trails so I’m not out riding them on my own. I own a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited named Diana. She is my daily driver who I take out everywhere when I go kayaking, hiking, tent camping, mountain biking, and all around exploring.
Thanks for your time.

Jenn
Welcome from Whidbey Island, WA!

Reactions: Jen’sDiana

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Hi All, I am a new member all the way in Lusaka, Zambia. I really enjoy exploring this country and am super excited about joining the Overland Bound Community!

Vehicles: Toyota FJ Cruiser (2011) and Landcruiser 80 Series 1HDT (1997).
Experience: Moderate but always looking to explore more.
Welcome to Overland Bound Michael Mee!

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hi All, I am a new member all the way in Lusaka, Zambia. I really enjoy exploring this country and am super excited about joining the Overland Bound Community!

Welcome to OB! Two great rigs you have there!!!

ECHAIL

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hailey
Member #

Thank You for the Welcome,
My name is Mike and I have always loved the outdoors; Now I have a family and want to share that spirit of adventure with them.

I am in the VA Beach area of Virginia and would love to meet up with other overland minded people and even go on some VA or NC trails.
I'm Driving a leveled 2015 Tundra Crew cab TRD off road with decked drawer system (trying to decide on lift and tire size, I would like to follow up discussion later) and pull a Campa USA, Cub trailer with RTT.
Off road I consider myself a Novice with most of my experience being with friends or on the beach.

I'm looking forward to making new connections and getting out into nature.

Thank You again for the welcome I'm glad to be here.

JEFFKISTHENAME

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Manteca, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kongpachit
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Hello all!

I actually joined the site last year, I don’t have a rig YET, but hopefully soon, within a month. I’m looking into picking up a Lexus GX460 or possible a LX570. Rig will not be a daily driver, as I daily a motorcycle. I live in the Manteca, CA area and hope to raise my 5 year old son as an explorer. I myself am not experienced, but am ready to dive into this lifestyle. Can’t wait to join you all out there!

Jeff K.

HeadedNorth

Rank 0

Traveler I

Greetings!
My name is Benjamin, and I live (currently) in Kansas City, Missouri.
I have a lovely wife and an 8 month old son, who I can't wait to take on ALL the adventures!

I don't have a rig yet, but am hoping to by the end of the year (once I get finances straightened out!). With said, I'm open to suggestions. I grew up camping, and have a bit of experience off-roading, but I am new to over landing.

I look forward to getting a rig and starting my family adventures.

Cheers.

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Greetings!
My name is Benjamin, and I live (currently) in Kansas City, Missouri.
I have a lovely wife and an 8 month old son, who I can't wait to take on ALL the adventures!

I don't have a rig yet, but am hoping to by the end of the year (once I get finances straightened out!). With said, I'm open to suggestions. I grew up camping, and have a bit of experience off-roading, but I am new to over landing.

I look forward to getting a rig and starting my family adventures.

Cheers.
HeadedNorth, any rig is an overland rig as long as it gets you there and back safely. But with the size of your family it depends. A lot of people go with a SUV like a Toyota 4Runner/Jeep (or something similar) or 4 door truck (midsize/full size). All depends upon your needs/wants/funds. Great posts/pics in the Overland Rig Forums as well. Good luck.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
Hi, nice community you have created here. I've been reading threads for a while and decided it was time to join up. It has been a long time (since I was a teen, I'm now "old.") since I've made any excursions that were not about the destination as much as the journey. My better half and I have decided we need some adventures. I work from home as a Sr Systems Admin for a CMMS SaaS and volunteer as a first responder with my local volunteer rescue squad. I'm in western Maine, the office is in NC, so glad I don't have to commute :). Both our drivers are 4x4 (she has a Libby, I have a Nitro) but neither are planned to be our traveling partner. As soon as the snow melts (no garage :( ) I will getting my old friend back to safe, legal, and kitted to suit our plans.

1979 VW Transporter, stock T4 2.0l FI. Winter hit early in Maine (first week of October), I still have some more body finessing to complete. Will be doing a repaint, new window seals, rack, roo bar, decent lighting, replacing jack points with 2" receivers, and skid plates based off the VW guide for rough terrain guide. Mechanically, I've already gone through the brakes with rebuilt calipers, new rotors, hardware, pads\shoes, booster hose, hard & soft lines. Steering has been refreshed where needed, new CV boots and joints repacked, new fuel lines, rebuilt injectors. I still need to wire up a TS-II rheostat, CHT gauge, rebuild heat exchangers, and replace the exhaust. It still has on it the 195/8.5-14 BFG-ATs that I ran when it was last on the road in 2013. They still look great and have plenty of tread, but since they have been NLA for at least 5-6 years in this size, I'll be replacing them. I'm thinking of going with steel A4\Passat\CLK rims in 15 or 16" to have a selection of AT tires since the pickings in 14" are damn slim. I know I can get General Grabbers in 14", maybe still some Kuhmos? Put some good tires on these things and they can be quite capable off the pavement with little else for mods.

Inside I'm still planning out. I will be running a house battery with an 1000w inverter (though trying to use as many 12v things as possible) as well as 110v shore power, 100w suitcase solar, interior storage, something(s) for cold food, small sink, Webasco-type diesel heater, and a small burner inside for coffee\hot water, with meal prep outside weather permitting. The spare will be moved outside to either the roo bar, a rear swing mount, or the rack. There's only two of us so not sure if will build a rock n roll bed or just go with a permanent platform - still playing around in Sketchup to see what I prefer.

Last time on the road in 2013:

2012-12-16172248_zps6429d7bf.jpg

Why I had to stop work on it early October :(

IMG_4439.JPG

The interior is a blank slate :)

2018-09-30 16.27.25.jpg

Carmen_612

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Louisiana
First Name
Carmen
Last Name
Bray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5VXO
Afternoon!

Carmen from Louisiana. Joining to get out and about and enjoy the great outdoors. I have a '14 Jeep JKU. I hope I can get the map and calendar to work on this forum so I can see who is in the area.

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week.

Last edited:

JohnDoe

Rank I

Contributor III

Hey all,

My name is John. I'm in SLC, Utah. I've been camping/backpacking since I was a kid, but have always been more of a "roughing it" kinda guy. However, I have recently met the woman of my dreams and her 8 year old son......both of whom had never been camping before I came along. I'm now in the process of "glamping" up my gear to make them more comfortable. I just picked up a '17 Tacoma that I am slowly beginning to mod and am looking hard at various off-road trailer options. I'm looking forward to meeting like-minded people to learn from. Cheers!

Jen’sDiana

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Spokane
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Jamison
If you haven't been to expo in Leavenworth it's worth going. Keep an eye on rally points for meet ups in your area. Welcome to the forum from Olympia. Brent KJ7BHN
Thank you very much. I do plan on attending this year. Thanks for the heads up..

Jen’sDiana

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Spokane
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Jamison
Hello Jenn (@Jen'sDiana) and welcome to Overland Bound from the other side of our little snowy state! It sounds like you really enjoy being out and enjoying nature, which is what we are all about here. The NorthWest Region is a great place for all of that and is filled with lots of members you can enjoy the adventure with, so I recommend dropping by the regional forums [link].

This evening is the monthly conference call of the Inland NorthWest Region (Northeast Washington / North Idaho) [link] facilitated by @Sandpoint Steve. You are welcome to join in and get to know everyone in the area. Coming up in June is the Northwest Overland Rally, held in Plain, WA [link].

Additional events, as they are organized, will be posted on the Rally Point system [link], so I suggest keeping an eye on that as well.

I hope to get to meet you in person someday soon. Until then, if you need anything, just send me a message on the forums, @Jedi.
Thank you so much. I will catch the conference call next month. I did consider joining the conference call but I’ve been very sick with a chest cold and currently I don’t have a voice. I did speak with Steve back in early January and it sounds like there are some great opportunities coming up that we will be able to have a chance to meet. There are some trails I want to try around 49 degrees north so I’m sure we can all talk about it once the snow starts melting.

Thanks for the links I will check them out.

Reactions: Kent R and Jedi

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

My name is Mike and I have always loved the outdoors; Now I have a family and want to share that spirit of adventure with them.

I am in the VA Beach area of Virginia and would love to meet up with other overland minded people and even go on some VA or NC trails.
I'm Driving a leveled 2015 Tundra Crew cab TRD off road with decked drawer system (trying to decide on lift and tire size, I would like to follow up discussion later) and pull a Campa USA, Cub trailer with RTT.
Off road I consider myself a Novice with most of my experience being with friends or on the beach.

Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup! If you have any questions or want help planning a trip or meetup of your own feel free to message me @Hank Outdoors or message @NovaBound who is the Member Rep for the Virginia Area.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/u-s-east-va-wv-md-de-nj-pa-ny-ct-ri-ma-nh-vt-me.83/

Reactions: ECHAIL

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hi, nice community you have created here. I've been reading threads for a while and decided it was time to join up. It has been a long time (since I was a teen, I'm now "old.") since I've made any excursions that were not about the destination as much as the journey. My better half and I have decided we need some adventures. I work from home as a Sr Systems Admin for a CMMS SaaS and volunteer as a first responder with my local volunteer rescue squad. I'm in western Maine, the office is in NC, so glad I don't have to commute :). Both our drivers are 4x4 (she has a Libby, I have a Nitro) but neither are planned to be our traveling partner. As soon as the snow melts (no garage :( ) I will getting my old friend back to safe, legal, and kitted to suit our plans.

1979 VW Transporter, stock T4 2.0l FI. Winter hit early in Maine (first week of October), I still have some more body finessing to complete. Will be doing a repaint, new window seals, rack, roo bar, decent lighting, replacing jack points with 2" receivers, and skid plates based off the VW guide for rough terrain guide. Mechanically, I've already gone through the brakes with rebuilt calipers, new rotors, hardware, pads\shoes, booster hose, hard & soft lines. Steering has been refreshed where needed, new CV boots and joints repacked, new fuel lines, rebuilt injectors. I still need to wire up a TS-II rheostat, CHT gauge, rebuild heat exchangers, and replace the exhaust. It still has on it the 195/8.5-14 BFG-ATs that I ran when it was last on the road in 2013. They still look great and have plenty of tread, but since they have been NLA for at least 5-6 years in this size, I'll be replacing them. I'm thinking of going with steel A4\Passat\CLK rims in 15 or 16" to have a selection of AT tires since the pickings in 14" are damn slim. I know I can get General Grabbers in 14", maybe still some Kuhmos? Put some good tires on these things and they can be quite capable off the pavement with little else for mods.

Inside I'm still planning out. I will be running a house battery with an 1000w inverter (though trying to use as many 12v things as possible) as well as 110v shore power, 100w suitcase solar, interior storage, something(s) for cold food, small sink, Webasco-type diesel heater, and a small burner inside for coffee\hot water, with meal prep outside weather permitting. The spare will be moved outside to either the roo bar, a rear swing mount, or the rack. There's only two of us so not sure if will build a rock n roll bed or just go with a permanent platform - still playing around in Sketchup to see what I prefer.

Last time on the road in 2013:

View attachment 86337

Why I had to stop work on it early October :(

View attachment 86338

The interior is a blank slate :)

View attachment 86339
Sneaks, I can't wait to see your progress on the old VW! You will find that OB members are a very Helpful group!
If you have any questions or want help planning a trip or meetup of your own feel free to message me @Hank Outdoors or contact @ronharrington2 who is your local Member Rep.

Reactions: Sneaks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-trip-planning.21/

Your closest Director is @Polaris Overland.

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Reactions: Sneaks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all!

I actually joined the site last year, I don’t have a rig YET, but hopefully soon, within a month. I’m looking into picking up a Lexus GX460 or possible a LX570. Rig will not be a daily driver, as I daily a motorcycle. I live in the Manteca, CA area and hope to raise my 5 year old son as an explorer. I myself am not experienced, but am ready to dive into this lifestyle. Can’t wait to join you all out there!

Jeff K.
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planing page for trips being planed by members.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-trip-planning.21/

If you have any questions message your Regional Director or Representative they are there to help.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-bound-regions.5928/

There is meet-up in the Ripon/Modesto area;
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-central-california-monthly-meet-up-01-20-2019.21005/

You don't need a rig to go to a meet-up.