Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Me too. Wanted one but the wife decided she likes the looks of he Grand Cherokee better. The Commander is a very formidable vehicle.

i have come to terms that the bronco has rust in all the wrong places... (the roof is rotted out at the rain rails and the cab flexes and leaks and such)

the commander is for sure on "the list"...... i will post about my new direction and ask for guidance from the group to aid me in buying and building a dedicated offroader and camping rig... "the list" will be in the posts.

just ordered a sweet tent from tentsile... looking forward to using it with the new rig... i have some "parts" laying around to build with.

Reactions: ShawnR

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Hey guys! My name is Nathan and I would consider myself a moderately experienced off-roader, but a novice Overlander.
I live in the Denver Colorado area.
This is our current rig. We pull a tent camper with it and love exploring the US by road. We just started our little family so we need something fairly large and comfortable. We also currently have a Land Rover Discovery 2 but it has a surprisingly bad backseat for car seats. So the plan is for my wife to take the Commander and I am gonna sell the Disco and buy a Jeep Cherokee XJ to build out for local mountain adventures.
Excited to be a part of this community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
loved the commander, bummed that they were gone by the time I was ready to buy. Welcome!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hi folks,

RJ Clayton, York, Maine. '97 Discovery called "The Funk"

VTXS Member as well as Overland Bound member #0811.

Cheers,

RJ
Welcome to the forum. My wife and I want to visit Maine in the next couple years. Will have to get some ideas from you as far as points of interest goes when we start planning.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hi folks,

RJ Clayton, York, Maine. '97 Discovery called "The Funk"

VTXS Member as well as Overland Bound member #0811.

Cheers,

RJ
Welcome to the group R.J! I've been to Maine and it is beautiful country, with more moose you can shake a stick at.
We camped out on Moosehead Lake, Acadia National park and crossed into New Brunswick via Calais, on our way to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland a few other of the Maritimes, years ago. I would love to see Maine again. Keep us posted with updates and pics of your rig!

rlpetty43

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma
First Name
Roman
Last Name
Petty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC5XJ
Hi all, I have been watching the you tube channel for awhile now and I decided to join the forum, mainly cause I am looking for some inspiration on a few things on my trailer build, I have a moderately built 91 jeep XJ which is dependable as they come I'd drive across the country tomorrow it has about 218k on the original motor, transmission (ax15) and transfer case some of the mods are trussed ford 8.8, trussed hp Dana 30 with Eaton Elocker, WJ knuckle swap, Chevy one tie rod ends, 4.88 gears on 35' KM2s, we just built my trailer last Friday still needs more work but the frame is complete and it rolls. I live in Oklahoma and love the outdoors I have been wheeling for 4-5 years now while I enjoy hitting the rocks I really enjoy going somewhere I have only been on a handful of adventure trips I sure do like it. I am also a licensed amateur radio operator aka "ham" (AC5XJ is my callsign) which really goes well with overlanding. Thanks

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hi all, I have been watching the you tube channel for awhile now and I decided to join the forum, mainly cause I am looking for some inspiration on a few things on my trailer build, I have a moderately built 91 jeep XJ which is dependable as they come I'd drive across the country tomorrow it has about 218k on the original motor, transmission (ax15) and transfer case some of the mods are trussed ford 8.8, trussed hp Dana 30 with Eaton Elocker, WJ knuckle swap, Chevy one tie rod ends, 4.88 gears on 35' KM2s, we just built my trailer last Friday still needs more work but the frame is complete and it rolls. I live in Oklahoma and love the outdoors I have been wheeling for 4-5 years now while I enjoy hitting the rocks I really enjoy going somewhere I have only been on a handful of adventure trips I sure do like it. I am also a licensed amateur radio operator aka "ham" (AC5XJ is my callsign) which really goes well with overlanding. Thanks
Welcome to the forum. Post pics of your trailer when you can. I need some inspiration. I'm hoping to get n m101 or m416 trailer to build on this summer.

rlpetty43

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma
First Name
Roman
Last Name
Petty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC5XJ
Welcome to the forum. Post pics of your trailer when you can. I need some inspiration. I'm hoping to get n m101 or m416 trailer to build on this summer.
I will, we built it from scratch from 11 gauge 2" square tubing and 1.5 round tube. I will do a build thread for it once I find the proper place to post said thread, I was hoping to find like section just for trailers.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I will, we built it from scratch from 11 gauge 2" square tubing and 1.5 round tube. I will do a build thread for it once I find the proper place to post said thread, I was hoping to find like section just for trailers.
I'd post it in the vehicle build thread for now. I'm sure it would be fine there. Wish I had fabrication skills. I've been starting to use the mig welder at work, but not a lot. So I'm looking for a used military trailer I can mod and put an RTT on top of it.

Reactions: NorthStar96

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

s
@rlpetty43 welcome to the group! Lars is a veteran ham radio operator too. hes around somewhere @Lars

Reactions: rlpetty43

Trail#er

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
VanCourt
Member #

Hi, I have been following the overland videos on youtube, and really enjoy them. My interest in overloading has grown over the years, and I believe it will compliment my love of backpacking in the great outdoors. I live in the bay area, and love trekking in the Sierras. I currently have a '09 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, and have never overlanded it. It's not suitable for any hard core overloading, but it gets me to the trailhead. The plan is to convert the sub into a Taco. I look forward to meeting up with and sharing some brews with overloading pros in the near future.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hi, I have been following the overland videos on youtube, and really enjoy them. My interest in overloading has grown over the years, and I believe it will compliment my love of backpacking in the great outdoors. I live in the bay area, and love trekking in the Sierras. I currently have a '09 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, and have never overlanded it. It's not suitable for any hard core overloading, but it gets me to the trailhead. The plan is to convert the sub into a Taco. I look forward to meeting up with and sharing some brews with overloading pros in the near future.
Greetings and salutations! You have lots of other members in your area.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Welcome to the forum. Check out the build section. There are a few Subarus on here.

Reactions: rlpetty43

chromdome35

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member from NW Arkansas.

I just recently found out about this site and forum from another member, Ohio Steve.

My wife and I are very big into road tripping around the country. We do several trips each year ranging from weekend ramblings to multi week epic road trips. We don't typically camp when we road trip, as we've gotten older we find the comfort of a hotel bed hard to pass up. We've been thinking about doing a weekend trip where we camped just to see if we still have it in us.

I just purchased a new 2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited that I'm in the slow process of turning into the ultimate road tripping vehicle. I will probably do a "build" thread on it here.

Anyway, glad to be here, hoping I can learn a lot and maybe share some ideas.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hello everyone!

I just recently found out about this site and forum from another member, Ohio Steve.
Hi @chromdome35, We don't know anyone named Steve around here, but welcome to the group anyway!

just kidding, @Steve is a highly respected seasoned member here, and we enjoy all of his inputs.
Keep us posted with updated stories and pics!

Reactions: SLO Rob and Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I currently have a '09 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
Welcome, Jimmkle, from another Subaru owner. We've got a couple of members who have made extensive modifications to Subarus; FozRoamer with his Fozzy, and Grant with his Wagon of Doom 2016 Outback. Mine is much more mild, meant for forest roads and light trails.

BTW, I just sold a 2002 WRX Wagon last summer that I bought new. For others on here, the Outback Sport is not like other Outbacks, but instead, was an Impreza Wagon (same as my WRX Wagon) geared a little more toward adventure use. My WRX was lowered for autocross, but I've seen plenty of videos of OBSs en some wild locations. So you have a great platform there.

Welcome aboard,
Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound, Brian! You will find an inclusive, welcoming crowd here.

Here's what I've done with my Outback for road-tripping with light trail and offload use. Like you, much of my adventures include hundreds or thousands of miles of highway driving just to get to interesting places.

Steve's Cross-Country Subaru Outback

And here was our 43-day cross-country jaunt last fall. More photos on Instagram if you have an account and scroll back to September/October.

Steve & Deb's Cross-Country Adventure

Maybe we'll cross paths one of these days.