Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

SGT.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

COACHELLA VALLEY, CALIF.
Member #

I am so glad that I joined this forum. I have been disabled and feeling sorry for myself for over ten years and I think it's about time to start living again. I have zero experience in overlanding but this is something that I want to do.

I'll be building my 1981 Datsun 720 KC for this purpose. It has been sitting for a long time due to a blown engine so out comes the 4 cylinder and in goes a 4.3 GM V6 with a 700r4 trans. Suspension will be left stock with the addition of some good shocks and I'll be running 235/75r 15 Goodyear Wranglers. The truck has 4.36 gears so this combo might work.

I have plans in my head for a camper shell and I plan to run a fridge and a 21 gallon on board water tank to start. I'm still trying to decide on what type of sleep system I want but it has to be comfortable because I have a lot of lower back issues.

I would like to start off doing a few days at a time and work my way up to doing a whole season. It may just turn into something permanent if I keep pissing my wife off. I'm the only one that enjoys this type of thing so it will be me and the dog. At least she doesn't complain every five minutes.

I plan on picking everyone's brains if that's okay. This build is on an extreme budget as my SSI is my only income but I am determined to be on the road sometime in the early part of 2018. I'd like to thank y'all in advance for all of your wisdom.
Welcome keep us posted and Good luck

SGT.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

COACHELLA VALLEY, CALIF.
Member #

Hey everyone,

I'm #4295, I've got a well kept 96 FZJ80 I've had for 7 years, I'm the 2nd owner, I've just recently started to modify it a bit so it's better suited for overlanding and exploring. I'd post pics but as a new member I don't think I can yet.

Up here in Western Washington there's some nice spots to go, just recently did a couple sections of the WABDR two weeks ago before a couple of the rigs I was with had to turn back due to my LC being a bit more capable for the terrain that we were on.

Looking forward to getting out more and running into some more overlanding folks.

Thanks
View attachment 30820
View attachment 30824
Nice. Great vehicle Welcome and enjoy.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello All,
Just came across this site while researching some areas.
I'm from Wainwright, Alberta.
I drive a well loved 2010 JKUR. We have Crown (government land) close by and we do trips to BC in the summer.
I have a little experience of Overlanding and offroading.
Hey, Mr Mango - Welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy the open road!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I am so glad that I joined this forum. I have been disabled and feeling sorry for myself for over ten years and I think it's about time to start living again. I have zero experience in overlanding but this is something that I want to do.

I'll be building my 1981 Datsun 720 KC for this purpose. It has been sitting for a long time due to a blown engine so out comes the 4 cylinder and in goes a 4.3 GM V6 with a 700r4 trans. Suspension will be left stock with the addition of some good shocks and I'll be running 235/75r 15 Goodyear Wranglers. The truck has 4.36 gears so this combo might work.

I have plans in my head for a camper shell and I plan to run a fridge and a 21 gallon on board water tank to start. I'm still trying to decide on what type of sleep system I want but it has to be comfortable because I have a lot of lower back issues.

I would like to start off doing a few days at a time and work my way up to doing a whole season. It may just turn into something permanent if I keep pissing my wife off. I'm the only one that enjoys this type of thing so it will be me and the dog. At least she doesn't complain every five minutes.

I plan on picking everyone's brains if that's okay. This build is on an extreme budget as my SSI is my only income but I am determined to be on the road sometime in the early part of 2018. I'd like to thank y'all in advance for all of your wisdom.
Hello, Abnrml1 and welcome to OB! Sounds like the rig you're building will be awesome. Can't wait to see the pics. This is a great site for overlanding and travel info and has many sharp brains to pick! Outfit and Explore! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: DEAF_JEEPHER

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hey everyone,

I'm #4295, I've got a well kept 96 FZJ80 I've had for 7 years, I'm the 2nd owner, I've just recently started to modify it a bit so it's better suited for overlanding and exploring. I'd post pics but as a new member I don't think I can yet.

Up here in Western Washington there's some nice spots to go, just recently did a couple sections of the WABDR two weeks ago before a couple of the rigs I was with had to turn back due to my LC being a bit more capable for the terrain that we were on.

Looking forward to getting out more and running into some more overlanding folks.

Thanks
View attachment 30820
View attachment 30824
Hey, Spooky and welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels man and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: Spooky

Tom-j

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Palo Alto
Member #

Thanks. I had to get the sticker because everyone keeps getting so close to me and hahaha I kept killing my Jeep at the stoplights. Re learnig a stick shift is tricky whe you have no vibration or sound to tell you to shift.
I need that sticker!!
Have you tried to have a shift light installed. They are small and can be adjusted to light up at a set RPM.

Mark Bouliane

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sylvan Lake, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Hello All,
Just came across this site while researching some areas.
I'm from Wainwright, Alberta.
I drive a well loved 2010 JKUR. We have Crown (government land) close by and we do trips to BC in the summer.
I have a little experience of Overlanding and offroading.
Hey, fellow newbie nice Photo, and welcome. ...Mark

Hi All & everyone,

So new member from the UK, specifically the North Lincolnshire region.
Previous overland experience involved taking a Land Rover 110 to Gambia in 2006/07 then kinda retired from the wheeled adventuring for a while.

Currently building a race van/motor home based on a Fiat Ducato 2.3JTD, but looking to bring a bit of off road capability to the fleet with a XC70 in the imminent future. It was researching that concept that brought me here.
I love the philosophy around any vehicle, and despite the LR experience my aim is to travel light, with enough traction to get out of trouble without the temptation to get in deep trouble!

Last edited:

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

Welcome to everyone who has recently joined since I became a member a few days ago. What a fantastic community this is And it keeps growing so fast!

Reactions: RedSoxRobbe

KevinE

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Saratoga Springs, Utah County, Utah, United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Escott
Member #

New to Overlanding but have been an avid hiker/camper for a long time. To be honest I am getting to beat up and this is a great way to continue my passion. Not that there wont be some bumps and bruises with this. With that said I am a Novice and looking right now at building a rig. I am down to 2 choices, a 2012 or later Rubicon Unlimited or a newer Toyota 4Runner. If anyone has advice I would appreciate it between those two....like who doesn't have an opinion so I might just open Pandora's box.

Hopefully will have something in hand in the next couple of weeks. <fingers crossed>. Once I have Pics I will upload.

I am in the Birmingham Al area and would love to meet up with some Local Overlanders to get some advice, not sure if there is a meet up scheduled soon but if so please let me know.

Hey started a build thread if you want to follow along, would appreciate your advice as I move down the build.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2015-toyota-4runner-trd-pro.8873/

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
View attachment 30865 Hi.. First , apologies for my English as I'm French..

Thanks for,welcome , hope I can help and be an active member of your community.
I'm a Landrover owner from 15 years , now with an LR4 ( sdv6 ) after a D3 and a 110 td5 defender..
Was an biker before...

Marc.
Welcome!

Reactions: MarcoD4

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hi All & everyone,

So new member from the UK, specifically the North Lincolnshire region.
Previous overland experience involved taking a Land Rover 110 to Gambia in 2006/07 then kinda retired from the wheeled adventuring for a while.

Currently building a race van/motor home based on a Fiat Ducato 2.3JTD, but looking to bring a bit of off road capability to the fleet with a XC70 in the imminent future. It was researching that concept that brought me here.
I love the philosophy around any vehicle, and despite the LR experience my aim is to travel light, with enough traction to get out of trouble with the temptation to get in deep trouble!
Welcome! Look forward to hearing and seeing more on the build.

NVRLOST

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Boise, Idaho
Member #

Hello OBers,

I'm based out of Boise, Idaho and have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (named Leilani) that I recently acquired. I've wanted one since they were first manufactured. It has a ton of miles on it and is in stock form...for now. Most Jeeps I see are setup for rock crawling but I want mine for over landing with my best friend and wife (Mikie). I'd like to solicit any suggestions for parts (bumpers, overhead rack, suspension, etc.) that are overlanding centric for my Jeep. Thank you in advance with more thanks to follow. FYI- that Cummins R2.8 diesel engine sounds like the hot ticket.

I actually discovered OB while watching Jake Wettern's vlog "iamjake". Shout out to Jake. Love what you're doing. I hope to do something similar after retirement someday.

I lived out of mid-80's Chevy pickup (CUCV) during Desert Storm with my combat buddy. I suppose that was a form of over landing. I actually enjoyed being "out of the wire" which as a civilian I guess would be "off the grid". I did much camping and backwoods adventures in my 30's but life and career took hold. I'm sure so many of you can relate. It's time to get back to what rejuvenates me. Nature. I always feel so recharged after a trip into the mountains of Idaho. I look forward to seeing more of the U.S. and Canada.

My badges are in the mail. I can't wait to put them on Leilani.

Thank you for an awesome website and community.

Driver.jpg

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello OBers,

I'm based out of Boise, Idaho and have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (named Leilani) that I recently acquired. I've wanted one since they were first manufactured. It has a ton of miles on it and is in stock form...for now. Most Jeeps I see are setup for rock crawling but I want mine for over landing with my best friend and wife (Mikie). I'd like to solicit any suggestions for parts (bumpers, overhead rack, suspension, etc.) that are overlanding centric for my Jeep. Thank you in advance with more thanks to follow. FYI- that Cummins R2.8 diesel engine sounds like the hot ticket.

I actually discovered OB while watching Jake Wettern's vlog "iamjake". Shout out to Jake. Love what you're doing. I hope to do something similar after retirement someday.

I lived out of mid-80's Chevy pickup (CUCV) during Desert Storm with my combat buddy. I suppose that was a form of over landing. I actually enjoyed being "out of the wire" which as a civilian I guess would be "off the grid". I did much camping and backwoods adventures in my 30's but life and career took hold. I'm sure so many of you can relate. It's time to get back to what rejuvenates me. Nature. I always feel so recharged after a trip into the mountains of Idaho. I look forward to seeing more of the U.S. and Canada.

View attachment 30878
Hello Nvrlost and welcome to OB! Thanks for the shout out and nice rig! You're at the right place to "Outfit and Explore"! This awesome community here is full of helpful folks ready to offer you any help/suggestions you need. Thank you for your service! Safe travels and enjoy the open road!

Reactions: NVRLOST

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hello OBers,

View attachment 30878
Welcome! One thing I've considered (that would work for the LJ as well) is a superchip flashtuner. Gain some MPG's and more power.

Reactions: NVRLOST

SGT.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

COACHELLA VALLEY, CALIF.
Member #

Hello OBers,

View attachment 30878
Welcome