Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Gilbert, AZ
Member #

Hi Everyone,

1) Pictures! (see below)
2) Location: Gilbert, AZ (Phoenix)
3) 2 Rigs technically... 1) 2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 (pictures below) and 2) 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited TRD Off-Road (bought used last year and love it)
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice - looking to gain more experience in the coming months

We just bought the 4Runner on 4th of July weekend and already making plans for upgrades. It had a lift, Fuel wheels and Nittos on it right from the dealership. So far we've added nerf bars and an ARB Simpson iii RTT. Next items will be full roof rack (either Gobi with ladder or Front Runner) and a compressor.

Pics: IMG_1837.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0775.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi Everyone,

1) Pictures! (see below)
3) 2 Rigs technically... 1) 2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 (pictures below) and 2) 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited TRD Off-Road (bought used last year and love it)
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice - looking to gain more experience in the coming months

We just bought the 4Runner on 4th of July weekend and already making plans for upgrades. It had a lift, Fuel wheels and Nittos on it right from the dealership. So far we've added nerf bars and an ARB Simpson iii RTT. Next items will be full roof rack (either Gobi with ladder or Front Runner) and a compressor.

Pics: View attachment 29575
View attachment 29576 View attachment 29582
Hello and welcome to OB, Druse76. Nice looking rigs! Safe travels and enjoy the open road!

Reactions: druse76

Meeceboy78

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona
Hi Everyone,

1) Pictures! (see below)

Hi druse76, welcome and i also live in Gilbert. hope to see you around sometime. :)

Reactions: druse76

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Rick - thought you might be interested in this group, not far from you, and the get-together they have planned for Sat 07/29. They're actually starting their get-together in Caneyville KY, about 80 mi from Louisville. Bowling Green KY Area Meet & Greet

I may be up in Wisconsin then, but do go through Cincinnati > Louisville > Nashville area regularly, so would be happy to meet up with you and make a run down their way sometime. Alternatively, if you're ever up on the coast of Maine, give a holler and we'll go do something if I'm in state.

Hey all.

My name is Rick, I just joined the forum in the last few days, and also plan to get a full membership as well.

I live in southern Indiana right outside of Louisville, KY., and have been interested in exploring the area beyond what the usual roads and camp grounds might have to offer. My experience is spotty, so I would consider myself a novice overlander for all intents and purposes. My rig is a stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have plans to eventually lift it a couple of inches, add 33" tires, some protective plating underneath for some added off-roadability (adding lockers would be great, but I feel like I could find a lot of gear for that kind of money that would be used a lot more), lights, winch, etc.. The usual bits and pieces, but I do plan to keep the majority of it stock to keep reliability up since it's also my daily driver. Also to be considered is sleeping accommodations. I've just got a basic tent for the time being, but I'm considering options that would include a rooftop tent, and I'm checking out what everyone has done as far as that goes. Lots of ideas!

Hoping to meet others in the relatively local area to get together with and do some exploring, or even just a night at the local campground to get out of the house for a bit.

See you out there!

Reactions: RickB

AriaTheMedic

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Alexandria, Virginia
Member #

Hello,

My name is Aria, I live and work in VA, more specifically Alexandria.

I am most certainly excited to have become a member and to have a way of getting in contact with others passionate about exploring and challenging themselves beyond the limitation of their everyday work lives. And for those who get to overland for a living, then I am simply jealous haha.

Anyways I got my 2016 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro last June and ever since then I have been looking more into transforming it into my dream overland truck. It does also serve as my daily driver to work. Speaking of work I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and in a way I find a huge similarity between "over landing" and my career as both sides require a decent knowledge/ familiarization with the tools, equipment and the vehicle we ride, in order to be efficient. I do not have much over landing experience but in exchange for that I will promise to be the dedicated medic of a group of Overlanders that would be kind to let my 4runner and I join their adventures.

I will be posting pictures of the 4runner and my inventory list hoping to get any advice I can get with my current/ future build. For anyone interested in currently checking out my 4runner, you are welcome to add my instagram; Aria.spec_k

Also certainly open to hearing from anyone near VA who would like to plan trips. Open to anywhere from a one day trip back and forth, all the way to camping trips requiring pre planning.

Reactions: Road

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Hi Everyone,

1) Pictures! (see below)

Pics: View attachment 29575
View attachment 29576 View attachment 29582
Hey drusr76, nice to see another overlander here in the valley!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

SFFJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Francisco
Member #

Hello Everyone,

I recently just got back from a camping trip to Kings Canyon National Park. While there some friends (Who are Overland members) and I completed the Buck Rock Trail and had a blast!
Rig: 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Quicksand)
Experience: Very little/ Novice

Here are a few pix. 1st three are Kings Canyon National Park/Buck Rock Trail and the last in Joshua Tree National Park.

unnamed4.jpg unnamed5.jpg unnamed6.jpg unnamed7.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello,

My name is Aria, I live and work in VA, more specifically Alexandria.

I am most certainly excited to have become a member and to have a way of getting in contact with others passionate about exploring and challenging themselves beyond the limitation of their everyday work lives. And for those who get to overland for a living, then I am simply jealous haha.

Anyways I got my 2016 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro last June and ever since then I have been looking more into transforming it into my dream overland truck. It does also serve as my daily driver to work. Speaking of work I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and in a way I find a huge similarity between "over landing" and my career as both sides require a decent knowledge/ familiarization with the tools, equipment and the vehicle we ride, in order to be efficient. I do not have much over landing experience but in exchange for that I will promise to be the dedicated medic of a group of Overlanders that would be kind to let my 4runner and I join their adventures.

I will be posting pictures of the 4runner and my inventory list hoping to get any advice I can get with my current/ future build. For anyone interested in currently checking out my 4runner, you are welcome to add my instagram; Aria.spec_k

Also certainly open to hearing from anyone near VA who would like to plan trips. Open to anywhere from a one day trip back and forth, all the way to camping trips requiring pre planning.
Hey Aria, and welcome to OB. I'm guessing any OB group would be happy to have their own dedicated medic with them on adventures! Safe travels man and enjoy the open road!

Reactions: RedSoxRobbe

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US

Hey there everyone. My name is Max. My rig is a 2002 2500hd Silverado extended cab long box with a 6.0L I'm not much of an overlander. I've camped some in my life and I wanted to build my truck further to accommodate that more often. I also am surrounded by Jeep people (not a bad thing but I like to be different) so I've decided to keep my truck because overland/road trip camping is what I want to do more of at this point in my life. And I love my old road warrior! I'm located in eastern Nebraska but am originally from western Nebraska. I really feel like Nebraska is my backyard. I hope to learn a lot from your forum!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

Hey there everyone. My name is Max. Don't have a picture currently but my rig is a 2002 2500hd Silverado extended cab long box with a 6.0L I'm not much of an overlander. I've camped some in my life and I wanted to build my truck further to accommodate that more often. I also am surrounded by Jeep people (not a bad thing but I like to be different) so I've decided to keep my truck because overland/road trip camping is what I want to do more of at this point in my life. And I love my old road warrior! I'm located in eastern Nebraska but am originally from western Nebraska. I really feel like Nebraska is my backyard. I hope to learn a lot from your forum!

Welcome Max. I'm new to overlanding as well, but we all start somewhere. I will be pulling a 5th wheel with my future rig, so I'll be putting together a pickup truck as well. Eyeballing an (older) 7.3 Ford F250 or 350. Looking forward to pics and how you overland-up your truck. Cheers! -Grev

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Welcome Max. I'm new to overlanding as well, but we all start somewhere. I will be pulling a 5th wheel with my future rig, so I'll be putting together a pickup truck as well. Eyeballing an (older) 7.3 Ford F250 or 350. Looking forward to pics and how you overland-up your truck. Cheers! -Grev
Thanks Grev! The 7.3 is a fantastic pickup. Can't go wrong with one. I wish I could say I'll be going to fabulous places and camping in remote areas but that won't happen for awhile. Time and money, blah blah... Don't gotta preach to this choir! But as you said, gotta start somewhere. I really hope you find your 7.3!

Traveler I

US
The 7.3 is a hoss. A few downsides to the vehicle for overlanding:
remember it is very heavy.
The diffs are mediocre at best. ie. Open diff in front.
The front hubs are a known failure, but buy the 3 year warranty ones and you'll be fine. Keep receipts. I've heard of others swapping to newer model axles for diff and axle thickness, some research should give some info.

A phenomenal vehicle. Just the downsides. I have owned 2 and used them both for overlanding.

RMackay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Africa
Member #

Hello. Not sure how many people from Africa on the forum, but here's my introduction.

1) Picture! Attached (but, as per profile pic)
2) Location: South Africa
3) Rig: Toyota J Cruiser
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Fairly experienced, specifically around Southern Africa.

Hoping to learn from the forum and share my experiences too.

Rgds,
Ross

Attachments

Traveler I

US
Hello. Not sure how many people from Africa on the forum, but here's my introduction.

1) Picture! Attached (but, as per profile pic)
2) Location: South Africa
3) Rig: Toyota J Cruiser
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Fairly experienced, specifically around Southern Africa.

Hoping to learn from the forum and share my experiences too.

Rgds,
Ross
What kind of canopy is that?

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

The 7.3 is a hoss. A few downsides to the vehicle for overlanding:
remember it is very heavy.
The diffs are mediocre at best. ie. Open diff in front.
The front hubs are a known failure, but buy the 3 year warranty ones and you'll be fine. Keep receipts. I've heard of others swapping to newer model axles for diff and axle thickness, some research should give some info.

A phenomenal vehicle. Just the downsides. I have owned 2 and used them both for overlanding.
That's excellent info. Thank you. The truck's primary job will be to tow a 5th wheel - 10,000 pound max gvwr most likely.

My current research is on pickup trucks that lend well to overland, but have 3/4 ton tow capacity. Its...proving difficult. I'll be starting a research/build thread down the road.

sethingham

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
Member #

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are from Indiana but are heading out west next month to explore all that it has to offer. We will be living out of our 2017 Toyota 4Runner built for overlanding. We don't have much experience in overlanding but we have been doing research to get our feet wet. We look forward to learning a lot more from experience and from the people we meet. Here's a photo of our rig...

18766117_303685890087350_6655940800111804465_n.jpg

Reactions: Bjorn44 and Grevlin