• HTML tutorial

Ingvarhh

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ålvundeid, Norge
Member #

Greetings, people of the internets.

I bought a (previously Swedish) '04 Toyota Hilux Dual-Cab here in Norway back in 2011, and quickly developed an interest for turning it into an offroader.
Unfortunately, Norway doesn't really allow for offroading, so I've kinda just been meandering about trying to keep the truck alive since then.
The last few years I've gotten more into car camping (in combination with landscape- and timelapse photography), which in turn recently turned me onto overlanding - I stumbled upon Overland Bound on youtube and ended up here.

I've now begun making plans for future overland-focused upgrades to the truck, which will probably be a work in progress over the next couple years or so.

View attachment 25413
welcome :)
Nice to see that there are more Norwegian members

Dlcrawler

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Stow, Ohio
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Lau
Member #

New to the overland forum and community. I've been interested in overlanding as of late, and I'm ready to explore the forum and the world. My rig is a 97 jeep Cherokee xj with a straight 6 and auto trans, basturd pack lift in the rear and 3 inch lift coils with a 1 1/2 spacer in the front. I live in stow ohio which is just north of Akron.

SoCalinIt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Saugus
Member #

Hello everyone!!

New to the forum. Super excited I found this place.

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser
I'm located in Saugus, CA. (Santa Clarita)
I've been wheeling for years, but just got into a true overland type setup last year. Was way more into trails like the Rubicon and Dusy, and now I enjoy spending more time with the kids exploring than just breaking stuff on my rig.

Have a great one!

Attachments

FCSCruiser

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Highland Village Tx
Member #

Hi Conrad,

First of all I hope this reply gets to you, I think I may have a reply to Jeff_in_MD mixed up in my first forum reply...

Anyhow, I saw your intro and nice FJ...can you tell what make/model is your trailer. It looks like a great combo for your rig.

Thanks for sharing.
Chon #5703

Hey there

The trailer kinda home-built. I got the box from a guy in Dallas that was trying to start a trailer business here (now defunct). It was lying in his back yard. He just wanted to be rid of it so I obliged. :-)

I had it raised and a suspension built into it, lights, wiring, hitch extension, frame for the rack etc.

Spent about $18oo. Its small but functional and about 600 lbs empty. I sometimes tow it with my GX470 and literally forget that its there.

Love the little thing.

Cheers
C

Kirk Kempe

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens, Ga
Member #

New to the site! I'm Kirk.
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Located in Athens, Ga
Lots of camping in the past slowly have been getting into the overlanding scene over the last few years. Excited to be a new member here and always looking forward to the next adventure!
Insta: kirk_4698 20170603_144513.jpg 20170606_195306_001.jpg

Hi

I live in Brisbane, Queensland AUSTRALIA and have just created a user profile and checking out the Forums and activity.
The vehicle of choice for me is a Toyota Prado 150 3L diesel.
Main use so far is Fraser Island and Bribie Island beach work although am shortly heading up to Cape York (Tip of Queensland) in a couple of weeks time which is a 'bucket list' track for many living in Australia.
My son and I have a yearly father/son camping trip over winter usually and I am keen to see what the Overland group in this area get up to together...or not.

I note that there was a catch up recently where a group did the Condamine 14 river crossing track down Killarney way, which is a nice little track.
I understand there are quite a few overland bound members in Ipswich area (SW of Brisbane), are there any members on the Northside of Brisbane?

Cheers

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Hello All,

Back in the late 70's had a Dodge PowerWagon that my wife and I used to go caving, backpacking and what we called wilderness camping then that some might call overlanding now. That Dodge would climb walls but couldn't hit 90 mph even if it fell off a tall cliff. Off roading in the 70's compared to now is night and day difference I'm finding out. North Georgia then was an open playground as back then 20 miles out of Atlanta and you were "In The Country" as we would say. Options now are very limited because of development and growth.

Over the years also had a 1976 GMC Jimmy that we drove to Colorado in 1987' and later a 1996 GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 that mostly got used as a band transport for our kids and the vacation ride to the beach. The Suburban was the wife's daily ride which gave new meaning to the soccer mom thingy. At almost 9000 lbs. when it snowed and people acted like the apocalypse had come, that Suburban went anywhere with no problem at all. Sadly an electrical fire in March took the big beast down for the count. Thus why the Tundra came into play.

With the kids grown, recently the wife and I decided to get another 4x4 and hit the road but then discovered this thing called Overlanding. With retirement very close at hand, this sounds like something right up our alley. After thinking about getting a Tacoma (I'm to big to fit comfortably in it) I got a new Tundra about 4 weeks ago instead that I ordered so I have a clean slate to paint on so to speak. I'll be reading and listening to a lot of what others have to say here to get ideas. Discovered the Overland Bound You Tube channel after watching several of the Expedition Overland vids and Pandora's Box got opened so to speak.

Already got plans in Sept. to be at Overland East Expo in Asheville (about 3 hours from us) at least for one day if not for more. Aux batteries is my next order of business on the Tundra so anyone with any ideas, I'm all ears. And yes, about 4 inches of lift, 35 inch tires and lockers are on the list along with a winch. Our Georgia Red Clay "Mud" when wet is classified as slicker than black ice so that might give you an idea with what we can face off road around here at times.

Our long term plans are a trip across country, up into Canada and through the Yukon and into the NWT via The Dempster all the way to Tuktoyatuk to dip a toe in the Arctic Ocean but a Grand Canyon trip and a return to Colorado comes before that. That might come next year or 2019 at the latest. That is what we want to do instead of a retirement cruise or a beach condo and the golf course. Besides as a lefty, I have a slice so bad that its been ruled a possible human extinction event so I stay off golf courses. Looking forward to listening, reading and learning from so many of you.

Keith #5288

Wife wanted a pick up truck so we recently got her an 1996 Ford F-150 4x4 project truck and she's already making plans for that. Thinking her own Overland Bound emblem would look good on that red paint job. :grinning:

STINGN

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

Hey everyone! My name is Steve and I have been backpacking and 4wheeling my entire life, so I decided to take this overloading as a hobby. I have had a couple vehicles, but only my Jeep have I done long trips in. I had a 1998 Range Rover that had coil suspension and roof rack and a winch. And I have had my Jeep Liberty for 9 years and it has done me well. Not very powerful compared to the V8s I've had, but it is fun. It has a 4" lift kit with OME and Bilstein shocks, ARB bumper with XRC8, HID lights, custom rock rails and roof rack, interior rack (soon to be modified) - ARB a/c, Safari Snorkel and a kick ass sound system...well it was years ago lol. I've currently got Hurcules tires that a shop in Flagstaff recommended and gave me a killer deal, so I'll wear these out, but I'll most likely get duratracs again. It's had a engine replaced at 48k and just recently the transmission got rebuilt and all new mounting hardware for it and engine mounts, but that is due to it having 150k and living in Chicago from road salt and mountain driving in Flagstaff (and all around the surrounding areas.)

Went to Overland Expo West this year and got some goodies and ideas. Saw the booth and decided to sign up while I could.

The things I want to add in the future are 4 lift blocks for my rear shelf and then create a rear storage unit (one drawer and one flip up cargo bay) I want it high enough to take panels out to sleep in the rig. No need for a fridge, I have a Yeti that is fine for my needs. Potential rear bumper w/ swing out tire carrier, jerry can mount, and with an antenna mount somewhere near a taillight (multiple failed cb mounts, living in the midwest and wheeling at terrain parks ripped off my cb multiple times) And I might pull the trigger on a Tepui RTT, depends if i can find a used or just pay the cost!

Rig - 2003 Jeep Liberty w/ stuff (these are older photos, will post newer ones soon)

I currently live in Flagstaff, Az. Moving down to Phoenix soon for less than a year. Then we will see where work brings me! Hopefully Chicagoland area.

I've gone on a few solo trips in the Tonto Nat Forest, out near the North Kiabab and in Western Moab area. But I have been on multiple backpacking trips that ranged from 3-25 days/nights. A lot of experience with map reading, route creation, food prep/dehydration and have outdoor certifications as well. Love facilitating to the group, here for the fun!

I'll post pictures here and there. Might be asking questions later on with drawers and what kind of slides to use for weight, etc.

Regards,

Steve

_adv_

Rank 0

Traveler I

Phoenix
WOW. Just went thru some posts, and there are some awesome set ups. Sounds like a great place to seek advice on the do's & don't. Dreaming of a new Tacoma, but it's not in the cards.
New here, from Hellizona. I mean, Phoenix, AZ. Where currently, the temp in this oven has been set on Broil.
I drive a watermelon compared to the nimble rigs you all drive, a '12 Toyota Sequoia. Life of a working single dad, all the previous (and dozen or so) Jeep have gone by-by.
If I'm alone, I tend to overland on my 1200GSA, but I'm wanting to do more with my kids, and connect with like minded people (hopefully including families). Cheers.overland.jpg

Hobo_In_NV

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself as a new member here. I picked up my '17 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 4x4 on March 3rd of this year and have already put on 9k miles! The wife and I have packed our pets up and camped at Monument Valley, Moab, Jasper NP in Canada and Banff NP in Canada. I love the idea of having an overland vehicle and being able to go anywhere! Looking forward to gaining more knowledge and information about Overlanding. I am in the Las Vegas area as well! Thanks!20170601_101118.jpg

Attachments

OhioTaco

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello all! I'm a newbie to the group and would like to introduce myself. My name Travis and I live about 30 min outside CLE. My rig is a 2012 Tacoma and it's the 3rd Tacoma I've owned and definitely not the last. We're rather limited on the trails around Clevland but we have our gems. I've lived in the mountains of Colorado and have made a few trips to Moab. I've been wheeling well over 20 years. 20170304_132454-1.jpg

javamonkee

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Renton, WA.
Member #

Hello OB Group!
I'm Rob from Renton, WA. and recently joined up.
I drive a 2014 4Runner Trail Premium.
My son and I have completed the first four legs of the WABDR and hope to get the others completed later this summer. I'd like to also tackle the IDBDR & OBDR in the future.
We'll also be attending our third NW Overland Rally coming up later this month in Plain, WA. Hopefully, we'll bump into fellow OB members also taking part.
I'm looking forward to meeting fellow overlanders and contributing to the group.

Regards,

Rob Sorbo
IMG_3733.JPG

Srdj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sudbury Ontario
Member #

Hello from Northern Ontario! My name is Srdj and I have just joined this awesome group of folks. Waiting for my badge to arrive!
I have a 2016 SR5 4runner. I've been camping all my life but this is the first time I actually have a vehicle capable of going off road and taking me places besides parking lots! Past cars have all been Chrysler 300s :)

Below are my two toys. Overland crew meet Baymax and Wasabi
crew.jpg

Reactions: TonyfromtheNorth