Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi everyone -

New guy here in Northern California.
Just getting started on researching Overlanding. Looking forward to learning from your experience.
Been wheeling/Jeeping/exploring for a long time but this is new to me.
Current rig is a Jeep JKR but may change that up going forward.
Take care!

Trent

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Welcome to Overland Bound! Depending on where you are in Northern California there are several meet-ups, so if your interested check out the meet-up page of the forum.

Reactions: ibemarcus

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
2018 Chevy Colorado.jpeg

Hello Everyone!

1) Picture! - Attached
2) Location - I just moved up to Virginia Beach, VA
3) Rig - A New 2018 Chevy Colorado CCSB Z71 in gasser V6 form. She does not have a name yet but I keep referring to her as a Tuxedo truck with the white and a black grill w/black bowtie.
I plan to use this truck for Commute, Work, Play, and occasional long adventure trips. I can't wait to introduce the kids to the great outdoors!
I plan to go a little crazy with bed storage(probably diamondback bed cover with extra mods, armor on the underside/maybe bumpers, etc. No suspension or larger tires since I need to keep it set up for towing. (Ok maybe a leveling kit). Then added things to increase function for fishing/hunting/camping/and work around the homestead (In the works). Fishing/Camping out here on the beach should be fun as well.
4) Overlanding experience - Novice... unless things like the following count.
- Working in the Motorpool for the Army and traveling in environments such as Alaska(Summer Bog and Winter minus 100degF), Colorado (Desert at altitude), and all over Iraq.
- Performing multiple cross country camping/offroad trips on a KLR650 Dual Sport back in the day.

With my current rig I have zero experience and know that it really matters. That comes with time though. lol

I have driven from North Carolina to Fairbanks Alaska and back. Been up to the North Slope in Alaska... all over Moab... and everywhere in between. We truly live in a beautiful place.

This rig is going to be the main tool to help me build an orchard/set of greenhouses with aquaponics systems/etc. It will also be my weekend fishing kayak hauler.

~ Marty

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

View attachment 59339

Hello Everyone!

1) Picture! - Attached
2) Location - I just moved up to Virginia Beach, VA
3) Rig - A New 2018 Chevy Colorado CCSB Z71 in gasser V6 form. She does not have a name yet but I keep referring to her as a Tuxedo truck with the white and a black grill w/black bowtie.
I plan to use this truck for Commute, Work, Play, and occasional long adventure trips. I can't wait to introduce the kids to the great outdoors!
I plan to go a little crazy with bed storage(probably diamondback bed cover with extra mods, armor on the underside/maybe bumpers, etc. No suspension or larger tires since I need to keep it set up for towing. (Ok maybe a leveling kit). Then added things to increase function for fishing/hunting/camping/and work around the homestead (In the works). Fishing/Camping out here on the beach should be fun as well.
4) Overlanding experience - Novice... unless things like the following count.
- Working in the Motorpool for the Army and traveling in environments such as Alaska(Summer Bog and Winter minus 100degF), Colorado (Desert at altitude), and all over Iraq.
- Performing multiple cross country camping/offroad trips on a KLR650 Dual Sport back in the day.

With my current rig I have zero experience and know that it really matters. That comes with time though. lol

I have driven from North Carolina to Fairbanks Alaska and back. Been up to the North Slope in Alaska... all over Moab... and everywhere in between. We truly live in a beautiful place.

This rig is going to be the main tool to help me build an orchard/set of greenhouses with aquaponics systems/etc. It will also be my weekend fishing kayak hauler.

~ Marty
Sounds like you have a great plan! I’m really interested in how these Colorado’s build out. Good luck! [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Sounds like you have a great plan! I’m really interested in how these Colorado’s build out. Good luck! [emoji1360]

That is what is so cool about a truck bed. They are like a blank canvas and only limited by the owners imagination... and budget! lol

So far we have taken two camping trips in the truck. One to the outer banks and One to Smokey Mtn. National Park.

The #1 most useful feature has been the unlimited wifi hotspot. During the long stretches we are usually able to go around 3hrs before the kids start asking "When are we going to be there?" and "How much longer?" ... all the classics I used to ask my parents. lol

Thanks!

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

That is what is so cool about a truck bed. They are like a blank canvas and only limited by the owners imagination... and budget! lol

So far we have taken two camping trips in the truck. One to the outer banks and One to Smokey Mtn. National Park.

The #1 most useful feature has been the unlimited wifi hotspot. During the long stretches we are usually able to go around 3hrs before the kids start asking "When are we going to be there?" and "How much longer?" ... all the classics I used to ask my parents. lol

Thanks!
Are you guys going to the Overland Expo east in November? I’m planning on going and I look forward to being able to look at different vehicles/setups.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Are you guys going to the Overland Expo east in November? I’m planning on going and I look forward to being able to look at different vehicles/setups.

Not in the works at the moment.

I am going to have to dig in at work at the new place and get a lot of particularly painful qualifications/training complete. I will be assisting the process of tearing down and re-building of aircraft. I will be at the final end of line shop performing troubleshooting/test flights and adjustments to get them out the back door.

When/Where is it going to be at?

I see you are from Tuscaloosa, AL. I just moved away from Mobile, AL. Originally from Georgia... but now a Virginia tax payer.

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

Not in the works at the moment.

I am going to have to dig in at work at the new place and get a lot of particularly painful qualifications/training complete. I will be assisting the process of tearing down and re-building of aircraft. I will be at the final end of line shop performing troubleshooting/test flights and adjustments to get them out the back door.

When/Where is it going to be at?

I see you are from Tuscaloosa, AL. I just moved away from Mobile, AL. Originally from Georgia... but now a Virginia tax payer.
It will be in the Asheville NC area. I have a couple friends that went to Virginia Tech. They live in London right now but moving back to Virginia when their contact is up. Good luck with your work. I was on the flight to London back in April that left the ATL airport, had an engine fire and had to return back to ATL. That plane needed something. Not sure what it was. But flying and burning engines isn’t my first choice of travel. [emoji23]

Tom Doerr

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Doerr
Member #

Hi OB!
My name is Tom. I have just acquired a 2018 Tacoma TRD OR. Looking forward to getting out on 4 wheels and exploring. I've been an avid motorbike tourer for the last 20 years. Been all over California, Nevada, Oregon but I'm new to 4wd. Looking forward to utilizing the resources on OB.

I live in Half Moon Bay, CA
Rig - 2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
Overlanding Experience/Background - Novice
IMG_2387.JPG

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
It will be in the Asheville NC area. I have a couple friends that went to Virginia Tech. They live in London right now but moving back to Virginia when their contact is up. Good luck with your work. I was on the flight to London back in April that left the ATL airport, had an engine fire and had to return back to ATL. That plane needed something. Not sure what it was. But flying and burning engines isn’t my first choice of travel. [emoji23]

Yikes! Sounds like it was an adventure in of it's self. lol

Engines catching on fire is never a good thing. Especially when on an airplane crossing an ocean!

Luckily I have not experienced anything like that before. (Knocking on Wood as I type)

That is just down the road from me. I may just try and go to that! I will look into the day. If it's on the weekend I won't have to ask for a day off... at my new job site. ;)

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

Hi OB!
My name is Tom. I have just acquired a 2018 Tacoma TRD OR. Looking forward to getting out on 4 wheels and exploring. I've been an avid motorbike tourer for the last 20 years. Been all over California, Nevada, Oregon but I'm new to 4wd. Looking forward to utilizing the resources on OB.

View attachment 59350
I like it!!

Reactions: Ncat

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi OB!

View attachment 59350
Welcome to Overland Bound! Check the meet-up page to see what meet-ups are in your area, the Santa Cruze group is getting started and thats not a huge distance from you.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hello all, my name is Joshua and am excited to have recently joined the Overland Bound community. I grew up camping and exploring here in west Texas. As I got older, I was doing it less and less. As stated by another member recently, since becoming an adult, I have been city bound. I discovered the overlanding community a year or so ago and have been wanting to do more. I have been lurking on various sites for a while getting more excited about things. I have recently got my wife excited about overlanding also, so hopefully our journey is just beginning. I have a 2017 Wrangler JKUHR I have done a few things to and am looking forward to continuing to learn with and build on.
View attachment 59286
Welcome... the pic isn't too big at all

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Preston Lyons

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arvada, CO, USA
First Name
Preston
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Hey Everyone!

My name is Preston and I live just north of Denver Colorado. I am new to the overland game, so new that I haven't even bought my rig yet. I currently drive a 2011 Toyota Tacoma, but I am going to be getting the 2018 Subaru Forester XL Touring soon. I went on an overland trip through Utah this year and it opened up my eyes to the world around me. I am a Navy veteran, and some of the best days of my life were standing on an aircraft carrier and staring off into nothing but a vast blue ocean. There is something very humbling and beautiful about being overwhelmed by mother nature herself.

I look forward to finding a lot of tips to deck out the forester into an adventuring machine. I have seen a lot already and am so thankful for forums like this. I will have pictures soon and will be sharing my progress as the Fozzydevelops.

-Preston

**Update**

The Fozzy is in. It's not an XT unfortunately, I may think to add an aftermarket turbo down the road. First I would like to lift it, add some skid plates, and a light package. Does anybody have any advice?

Attachments

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi All!
My name is Warren, and I'm new to the overlanding world but not to playing in the dirt! I'm excited to meet up with you all and ready to go on some new adventures!

Rig: 2014 GMC Sierra z71 4X4
Experience: Plenty of years of playing in the deserts!
Welcome to Overland Bound! There is a meet up in the San Diego area that you might want to check out.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-san-diego-overland-bound-monthly-meet-03-22-2018.13317/

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

Hi All!
My name is Warren, and I'm new to the overlanding world but not to playing in the dirt! I'm excited to meet up with you all and ready to go on some new adventures!

Rig: 2014 GMC Sierra z71 4X4
Experience: Plenty of years of playing in the deserts!
Welcome to Overland Bound!

ibemarcus

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tuscaloosa,AL
Member #

Hey Everyone!

My name is Preston and I live just north of Denver Colorado. I am new to the overland game, so new that I haven't even bought my rig yet. I currently drive a 2011 Toyota Tacoma, but I am going to be getting the 2018 Subaru Forester XL Touring soon. I went on an overland trip through Utah this year and it opened up my eyes to the world around me. I am a Navy veteran, and some of the best days of my life were standing on an aircraft carrier and staring off into nothing but a vast blue ocean. There is something very humbling and beautiful about being overwhelmed by mother nature herself.

I look forward to finding a lot of tips to deck out the forester into an adventuring machine. I have seen a lot already and am so thankful for forums like this. I will have pictures soon and will be sharing my progress as the fozzy develops.

-Preston
We are planning a trip to Colorado May/June 2019. Welcome to Overland Bound !

Reactions: Bradb55