Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi all - I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm returning to the overland/vehicle camping world after being without a 4x4 for 5 sad and painful years!

I love backpacking, snowcamping and car camping just about anywhere, and fortunately every type of climate and geography is...sort of, nearby. We're in Oakland California, which means I can get to low desert, high deert, the coast, subalpine and alpine regions; the downside is most anywhere I really want to visit is a solid 4-10 hour drive! My first 4x4 was a Jeep TJ Wrangler back in 1998 - a great vehicle of mediocre build quality. I loved that loud, torquey, big personality vehicle, but not the constant struggle to fit gear into its minuscule space. Its straight-six engine was the bomb for climging trails, but feeding that engine to just GET to the mountains ( at 11 or 12 miles per gallon) was a bit painful.

My next vehicle was 2000 Isuzu Trooper - what a fantastic overland vehicle. Much more space than the Wrangler, better gas mileage, superb four wheel drive train (especially on snow) tons of storage...Anyway I still miss that rig but the second time I was rear-ended did the old Trooper in.

I really hesitate to call my current vehicle a "rig" as it's a bone-stock 2018 Subaru Forester (Premium trim, I believe) that I'm currently taking over from a family member. I haven't even taken a picture of it yet, but it's lightly used (less than 8,000 miles) and has a lot of potential. I have a good sense of the trade-offs I'm making with the Forester - it's not really a 4x4, and I know I'll miss not having a low-range transfer case, but I''m going to love getting 25 or 30 MPG on the drive TO the trailhead, and I think it will be a pleasant daily driver for the 98+% of the time I'm on crowded roads in the Bay Area. I'm just learning about Foresters, but I expect I'll add more lighting, a solid rear hitch (mostly as a recovery point) and some skid plates.

Looking forward to connecting with the overland community and getting out more.

Brian
Welcome to Overland Bound Brian.
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Bay Area @PapaDave
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone. I am so happy to be on this forum. Newbie here with my 1998 4runner, located in Oakland - have had it for about 4 months now, unmodified. I love it. Been scouring all kinds of online resources as I learn more about overlanding.
I will be making modifications slowly, as I figure out what I am interested in doing long term. Camping is a given, as well as fly fishing. Wanting to explore and venture out into the wild. Can't wait to learn more and open to any and all suggestions. Cheers!View attachment 179031
Welcome to Overland Bound
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Bay Area @PapaDave
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: Funner98

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Everyone!

My name is Mike, and my wife (Dani) & I recently upgraded our old rig (2014 GMC Sierra 1500 with a canopy camper set up) to a 2020 AEV Prospector with a Scout Olympic camper! We are based in Denver, CO area but are planning on traveling around the US as much as possible over the next 6-9 months while our jobs are allowing us to 'work from home'. Our long term goal is to do the Pan American sometime in either 2022 or 2023, so feel free to reach out if you have any tips or tricks for that journey!

Attached are a couple pictures of our new rig, though you can see more on our Instagram (TheMortells). We also have pictures of our old rig on there as well.

I have been overlanding since I bought the GMC back in 2014, but also grew up in a family that traveled/camped a lot so I am fairly experienced though there is still plenty that I need to learn! Some items on my 'To Learn' list before our Pan American trip are wilderness first aid, more advanced recovery methods, and basic Spanish!

I am looking forward to getting involved on this forum so please don't hesitate to reach out :)

Mike

View attachment 179012View attachment 179013
Welcome to Overland Bound Mike & Dani.
Good looking rig.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
OB Members Colorado
Social Media:
Telegram; OLB - Colorado
RM FB; Facebook Groups
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
The closest Member Representative is @the_runn4r & @Fortis Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have a 2014 AWD SExpress.
Based in Michigan.
View attachment 178998
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Ohio Valley Overland & @James.Laidlaw

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey there! I just joined because I bought a '99 e250 that has been outfitted as a camper. I'm slowly building a lift and adding some more appropriate gear to it, and hope it will take me on many adventures!
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @FrankRoams (OC/SD)
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hello everyone. I am so happy to be on this forum. Newbie here with my 1998 4runner, located in Oakland - have had it for about 4 months now, unmodified. I love it. Been scouring all kinds of online resources as I learn more about overlanding.
I will be making modifications slowly, as I figure out what I am interested in doing long term. Camping is a given, as well as fly fishing. Wanting to explore and venture out into the wild. Can't wait to learn more and open to any and all suggestions. Cheers!View attachment 179031
Hi Lucia!

Bone stock is the place to start and figure out what you miss as you head out on trips. I am the Bay Area member rep and I can help connect you to meet ups that are happening near you. In Pleasanton CA there is a meet up on the second Sunday’s of the month and it has a great regular turn out and active. The Tri-Valley (Pleasanton) group had a big year with 7 trips and we are beginning to plan out 2021. Our next meet up will be January 10th, 1-3pm. Below is a link to the meet up page and thread with information.

This is the regular meet up info

Tri-Valley Meet Up
US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA
Just come! :)View Rally Point Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA STARTS MONTHLY ON DECEMBER 8TH EVERY SECOND SUNDAY MEET UP 1-3pm We are looking to gather together those living in the East Bay (and greater Bay Area) in downtown Pleasanton CA. Everyone is welcome as we look to gather...
www.overlandbound.com
If you have questions feel free to reach out

Reactions: Kent R

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hi all - I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm returning to the overland/vehicle camping world after being without a 4x4 for 5 sad and painful years!

I love backpacking, snowcamping and car camping just about anywhere, and fortunately every type of climate and geography is...sort of, nearby. We're in Oakland California, which means I can get to low desert, high deert, the coast, subalpine and alpine regions; the downside is most anywhere I really want to visit is a solid 4-10 hour drive! My first 4x4 was a Jeep TJ Wrangler back in 1998 - a great vehicle of mediocre build quality. I loved that loud, torquey, big personality vehicle, but not the constant struggle to fit gear into its minuscule space. Its straight-six engine was the bomb for climging trails, but feeding that engine to just GET to the mountains ( at 11 or 12 miles per gallon) was a bit painful.

My next vehicle was 2000 Isuzu Trooper - what a fantastic overland vehicle. Much more space than the Wrangler, better gas mileage, superb four wheel drive train (especially on snow) tons of storage...Anyway I still miss that rig but the second time I was rear-ended did the old Trooper in.

I really hesitate to call my current vehicle a "rig" as it's a bone-stock 2018 Subaru Forester (Premium trim, I believe) that I'm currently taking over from a family member. I haven't even taken a picture of it yet, but it's lightly used (less than 8,000 miles) and has a lot of potential. I have a good sense of the trade-offs I'm making with the Forester - it's not really a 4x4, and I know I'll miss not having a low-range transfer case, but I''m going to love getting 25 or 30 MPG on the drive TO the trailhead, and I think it will be a pleasant daily driver for the 98+% of the time I'm on crowded roads in the Bay Area. I'm just learning about Foresters, but I expect I'll add more lighting, a solid rear hitch (mostly as a recovery point) and some skid plates.

Looking forward to connecting with the overland community and getting out more.

Brian
Hi Brian!

I have seen some Subaru’s get farther than I would have imagined. The low range vs MPG trade off isn’t too bad depending on how aggressive you normally get. The only thing I’ve seen with them to be mindful of is the front air dam and bumper on obstacles, other than that I’m sure you’ll get to almost everywhere you wanna go. I am the Bay Area member rep and I can help connect you to meet ups that are happening near you. In Pleasanton CA there is a meet up on the second Sunday’s of the month and it has a great regular turn out and active. The Tri-Valley (Pleasanton) group had a big year with 7 trips and we are beginning to plan out 2021. Our next meet up will be January 10th, 1-3pm. Below is a link to the meet up page and thread with information.

This is the regular meet up info

Tri-Valley Meet Up
US West - Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA
Just come! :)View Rally Point Tri-Valley Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA STARTS MONTHLY ON DECEMBER 8TH EVERY SECOND SUNDAY MEET UP 1-3pm We are looking to gather together those living in the East Bay (and greater Bay Area) in downtown Pleasanton CA. Everyone is welcome as we look to gather...
www.overlandbound.com
If you have questions feel free to reach out

Reactions: Kent R and Oakster

Alertchief

Rank V

Advocate III

Henderson, Nevada, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
mountain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Alertchief
New member who divides time between Henderson Nevada and Oregon ( not multnomah county lol) and love to meet new people and adventure. Love being out in all seasons and terrains. Picture is a rare time the twins are together. I am retired USAF and have lots of time to get out. Say hi if you are in my areas.

Attachments

Contributor I

Huntington Beach CA
First Name
WESTON
Last Name
BECHTOLD
Hey my name is Weston, I live in Huntington Beach CA and own a 2016 Chevy Colorado. Just got my body armor RTT in the mail yesterday and waiting on my bed rack from victory 4x4. I have zero overlanding experience, currently doing tons of research and starting to plan my first trip.

Reactions: Iwata77 and Kent R

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hey guys, Mike here, from Long Island, New York. I look forward to getting out and planning some overland trips with my new Gladiator Launch Edition. Have already started building it up and will continue to do so until I’m completely broke haha. I have a pretty deep back ground with jeeps and off-roading. Have built probably 7-8 rigs at this point, I also have a 2005 wrangler rubicon unlimited(LJ). That vehicle will be going back under the knife to become a full time rock crawler/trailer queen since the gladiator showed up.

Am currently planning to run a bit of the Trans New Jersey Trail this upcoming weekend with a buddy, in the gladiator and his JL, if any one will be out there let us know, would love to link up with some other members.

Glad to be here, Mike D,
Aspect Overland
Hello Mike, welcome to the OB community.

Wouts

Rank II

Contributor III

Rockwood, ON, Canada
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Wouters
Member #

Hey everyone...Kevin here, based just outside of Toronto in Rockwood ON. Have been over landing for about 8 years starting with a JK Rubi and a home made trailer with RTT. Have just recently changed over to a Gladiator Rubicon and will still be hauling the trailer (after a new paint job...). There are 2 other TJs in the family motor pool as well.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone...Kevin here, based just outside of Toronto in Rockwood ON. Have been over landing for about 8 years starting with a JK Rubi and a home made trailer with RTT. Have just recently changed over to a Gladiator Rubicon and will still be hauling the trailer (after a new paint job...). There are 2 other TJs in the family motor pool as well.

Looking forward to being part of the community!
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @ryancarman
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: ryancarman

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey y'all James here in El Paso TX the wife and I have been into adventure travel and overlanding for a couple of years happy to be here.
Welcome to Overland Bound James.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @USStrongman & @Prerunner1982

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey my name is Weston, I live in Huntington Beach CA and own a 2016 Chevy Colorado. Just got my body armor RTT in the mail yesterday and waiting on my bed rack from victory 4x4. I have zero overlanding experience, currently doing tons of research and starting to plan my first trip.
Welcome to Overland Bound Weston.
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD)
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: Funner98 and Narbob

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
New member who divides time between Henderson Nevada and Oregon ( not multnomah county lol) and love to meet new people and adventure. Love being out in all seasons and terrains. Picture is a rare time the twins are together. I am retired USAF and have lots of time to get out. Say hi if you are in my areas.
Don't hesitate to contact your West Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you is @HappyOurOverlanding (NV) When you are in OR the Regional Director is @M Rose.
Where in OR do you spend your time?
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: Funner98 and Narbob

Alertchief

Rank V

Advocate III

Henderson, Nevada, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
mountain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Alertchief
Don't hesitate to contact your West Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you is @HappyOurOverlanding (NV) When you are in OR the Regional Director is @M Rose.
Where in OR do you spend your time?
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Thanks Kent! My Oregon time is spent near Portland with lots of trips to central and eastern Oregon. Lots of ideas for exploring some remote areas of Oregon this next year as I venture out more. Will for sure watch the trips and get out as often as possible to connect with members. Looking forward to the next Mohave trip also. Happy Holidays.

Contributor I

Huntington Beach CA
First Name
WESTON
Last Name
BECHTOLD
Welcome to Overland Bound Weston.
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD)
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Thanks a lot Kent!