Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello! I'm brand new to the site and just beginning my journey! I will be retiring soon after a very rewarding career as a firefighter. I have a truck that so far is set up as capable. Looking to take it further and do some off the grid camping. I'm a big cycling fan, both road and mountain.

My wife and I just celebrated our 25th Anniversary, we enjoy a lot of the same activities, though this is one she is not to interested in....yet. :)

I'm looking forward to sharing info with you and being a sponge for your experiences!
Welcome to Overland Bound
Welcome to the retired FF club so to speak, hope you are leaving healthy.
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

I'm a little over a week old as a member of this community. So I joined this community as way to meet and get to know people in my area and the world with same interest and to one day put together an ambitious plan for a long adventure, but I am a bit discouraged as of today. This is not my first car or adventure club, I belong to a couple of of land rover clubs that does off road events through out the year, but it is mostly a weekend kind of event. I was excited after I decided to join the community, I looked up for rally points in and around my area in Silver Spring , MD. I found that there was a rally scheduled for today 10-04-2020 from 0900 hours-1200 hours (9 am- 12 pm)in Sykesville, MD. I reached out to the event organizer a few days prior to the meet and greet. I got a replied informing to attend the meet up. Although I don't mind the drive, it takes me close to an hour to get from where I live to the meet up location. I got to the location at around 10 am and I was the only one there. waited around for about 30 mins, but still no one else showed up. I reached out to the organizer for the status but no response. An hour went by and still no one! so I decided to reach out to those that were on the attending list for inquiry. No response, None1! This is not what I expected from fellow members. I felt like I was stood up. I'm not giving up on this community yet because I know there are lots of friendly and welcoming members out there with the same adventurous souls. My first OB event left me with a bitter feeling with the event organizer due to lack of courtesy. Maybe I will organize a meet and greet sometime soon for all members new and old. Stay tune...Vennak
Welcome from Okotoks, Alberta. Hope you’ll make it up North one day, after Covid.

Reactions: Kent R

Borislander

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Silver Spring, MD, USA
First Name
Vennak
Last Name
Pouch
Member #

Hello Feom Silver Spring, MD Michael, welcome aboard! I'm too is a relatively new member. This is the primary reason why i took the leap to join thw OB community, too meet like minded people accross the nation and the globe. Who knows, maybe i will out out at your nwck of the woods one day and you can show me some great off roading spots. Same goes on my end if you are ever on this side of the cpuntry. like your rig, one of my choice of vehicle. I've been trying to get a buddy of mine to sell me his for sometime now, but he won't! He is the original.owner and he keeps it in pristine condition. As for vehicles goes, glad to hear that you had land rover in your blood in your young days. I have a few of them today. Well, welcome aboard. Vennak

Borislander

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Silver Spring, MD, USA
First Name
Vennak
Last Name
Pouch
Member #

I'm a little over a week old as a member of this community. So I joined this community as way to meet and get to know people in my area and the world with same interest and to one day put together an ambitious plan for a long adventure, but I am a bit discouraged as of today. This is not my first car or adventure club, I belong to a couple of of land rover clubs that does off road events through out the year, but it is mostly a weekend kind of event. I was excited after I decided to join the community, I looked up for rally points in and around my area in Silver Spring , MD. I found that there was a rally scheduled for today 10-04-2020 from 0900 hours-1200 hours (9 am- 12 pm)in Sykesville, MD. I reached out to the event organizer a few days prior to the meet and greet. I got a replied informing to attend the meet up. Although I don't mind the drive, it takes me close to an hour to get from where I live to the meet up location. I got to the location at around 10 am and I was the only one there. waited around for about 30 mins, but still no one else showed up. I reached out to the organizer for the status but no response. An hour went by and still no one! so I decided to reach out to those that were on the attending list for inquiry. No response, None1! This is not what I expected from fellow members. I felt like I was stood up. I'm not giving up on this community yet because I know there are lots of friendly and welcoming members out there with the same adventurous souls. My first OB event left me with a bitter feeling with the event organizer due to lack of courtesy. Maybe I will organize a meet and greet sometime soon for all members new and old. Stay tune...Vennak
Welcome from Okotoks, Alberta. Hope you’ll make it up North one day, after Covid.
It's great that you brought up about Canada! I actually do plan to one day organize a trip to Churchill Canada. Not really about the destination, but I think the journey there will be memorable. My wife and I have been most of the eastern Canada to include PEI, Nova Scotiaand New Foundland ( all road trip in a 1985 Porsche 944n) it was packed to the brim!Thanks, Vennak

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

It's great that you brought up about Canada! I actually do plan to one day organize a trip to Churchill Canada. Not really about the destination, but I think the journey there will be memorable. My wife and I have been most of the eastern Canada to include PEI, Nova Scotiaand New Foundland ( all road trip in a 1985 Porsche 944n) it was packed to the brim!Thanks, Vennak
Nice! Nice! I have done the Maritimes, but have yet to go to Newfoundland. Long ferry rides is not my thing.:grimacing:
Are you referring to Churchill, Manitoba -- the land of polar bears? If so, I think you would need to fly or drive as far as Thompson (highway 6 from Winnipeg) and then take the Via rail, or a flight to Churchill. Another option is to drive to Thompson on Highway 6, then continue to Sundance on Highway 280/290 and then take the train the rest of the way. Only downside to this is the floods that sometimes happens -- washing out roads and train tracks. Still, a nice long overlanding trip.

Borislander

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Silver Spring, MD, USA
First Name
Vennak
Last Name
Pouch
Member #

Yes, the land of Polar bear! Thanks for the information's. I think it will be a great adventure. I would definitely go the train and road deal option. You miss out on too much flying, plus you can't flt your vehicle with you!. I'm not saying that this trip is around the corner, but it will happen one day. I've been thinking about this overland adventure forany many years now.

New Foundland is a natural beauty, so untouched. How I found out about New Found land was unplanned I would say. In my college days I used to read all these outdoor magazines. As I was flipping thru a page of the outside magazine, a photo of grossmorne national park captured my imagination. So I set to find out where it was then planned a trip with my girl friend then, wife now during the summer break year 2000. We've been there twice and still think about it and the friendly people we met there today. Let me stop boring you with my memories for now...will definitely keep you on my list of contact just in case I'm out in western Canada one of these day. Vennak

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Yes, the land of Polar bear! Thanks for the information's. I think it will be a great adventure. I would definitely go the train and road deal option. You miss out on too much flying, plus you can't flt your vehicle with you!. I'm not saying that this trip is around the corner, but it will happen one day. I've been thinking about this overland adventure forany many years now.

New Foundland is a natural beauty, so untouched. How I found out about New Found land was unplanned I would say. In my college days I used to read all these outdoor magazines. As I was flipping thru a page of the outside magazine, a photo of grossmorne national park captured my imagination. So I set to find out where it was then planned a trip with my girl friend then, wife now during the summer break year 2000. We've been there twice and still think about it and the friendly people we met there today. Let me stop boring you with my memories for now...will definitely keep you on my list of contact just in case I'm out in western Canada one of these day. Vennak
Absolutely! The road/train trip to Churchill will require careful preparation -- more so than any other overlanding expedition here in Canada (in comparison to the Dempster Highway, for instance). Having said that, I was heading to Tuktoyaktuk this year, but Covid changed that. I am now planning it for 2021 (as an OB event -- already posted). Hope we will be done with this Covid thing by the time we reach summer of 2021. If so, and you are heading this way, drop me a line. Perhaps you and your wife may even want to join the epic adventure to Tuktoyaktuk :tonguewink:

Stay safe, and journey on.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey all.

I’m from upstate NY & love the Adirondacks
I drive a 2020 Subaru Onyx Outback XT.
I enjoy car camping & tent camping but may soon buy a camper.
looking for great trails close to home.
Welcome, I spent 8 years up in Gouvy loved heading up to Cranberry Lake.

HyperShooter

Rank I

Member I

McDonough , Ga
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Kopp
Member #

Hello all!

I live just south of Atlanta, Georgia. Started exploring National Forrest Service roads, WMA’s, and unpaved road last year when I bought my Tundra.
Current vehicle is a 2020 Tundra. Upgraded the suspension to a full OME set up w/ Dakar leaf pack. Full skid plates, winch, and enough lights to explore the dark side of the moon .
Been having fun exploring and meeting new people! I have yet to actually camp out of the truck, as all of my exploring has been on day trips. My job keeps me busy 50-60 hours a week, so most exploring is on Saturdays or Sundays.

Attachments

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello all!

I live just south of Atlanta, Georgia. Started exploring National Forrest Service roads, WMA’s, and unpaved road last year when I bought my Tundra.
Current vehicle is a 2020 Tundra. Upgraded the suspension to a full OME set up w/ Dakar leaf pack. Full skid plates, winch, and enough lights to explore the dark side of the moon .
Been having fun exploring and meeting new people! I have yet to actually camp out of the truck, as all of my exploring has been on day trips. My job keeps me busy 50-60 hours a week, so most exploring is on Saturdays or Sundays.
Welcome from Phoenix

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all!

Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @rrjones2u

Reactions: HyperShooter

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey all.

I’m from upstate NY & love the Adirondacks
I drive a 2020 Subaru Onyx Outback XT.
I enjoy car camping & tent camping but may soon buy a camper.
looking for great trails close to home.
Welcome to Overland Bound
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @OVRLNDER
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

winnersonly

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mount Pleasant, SC
First Name
Deyon
Last Name
Washington
Sup Fam,

My name is Deyon. I'm new to overlanding and camping in general. The crowds I rolled with never talked about this stuff. Happy to be here. I'm slowly acquiring the knowledge and equipment to take on adventures.

The most exciting part of all of this is that I'm closing in on the end of a messy divorce ending a messy toxic marriage of 17 years. My ex was violent, controlling, demeaning, and judgmental. Ending that relationship means that I now get to spend my time, energy and resources where I choose to. That means fun stuff like this. The contrast between then and now is pretty drastic.

I've sold our Denver Colorado home and I'm now on the road. Recently, I've been hanging out between SC (Mount Pleasant) and GA (Savannah/Pooler).

My rig is a stock Black 2017 RAM 1500. Got it used about a year ago.