Rank 0

Contributor I

California
First Name
Jose
Last Name
M
Hey y'all,

I'm Smeds. Currently living in central NC and new both here and to overlanding. I was never a truck guy (currently have a modded 2011 Subaru STI sitting in the garage that was my previous daily) but on a trip to Arizona spring of 2019 Hertz upgraded me to a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and my eyes were opened to both driving a truck every day and the adventures you can get up to with one. I worked during the week and put 3000+ miles on the rental over 5 weekends worth of adventures. Tried to cover as much of the SE corner of Arizona as I could. And yes, it snowed the second day I was there.
View attachment 161348

As you can guess, the bug bit me and after that Arizona trip I knew it was only a matter of time before I would find myself in a truck. I took plenty of time to research the options and decided to stick with the Ram 1500 since I had such a great time with it as a rental. Ultimately decided to get as much capability from the factory as possible so in January I pulled the trigger on a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel EcoDiesel from my local dealer just as the EcoDiesels were hitting the lots here. I have been slowly developing my plan to build it out and get geared up over the past few months.
View attachment 161347

I've been a hobbyist photographer and drone pilot for years and tend to focus on landscapes and wildlife so I can't wait to get more immersed in the outdoors with my rig. Looking forward to getting to know some of you, learning from y'all, and sharing my experiences!

-Smeds

PS: Arizona is a fantastically beautiful corner of the US that I would love to get back to. Highly recommend anyone take a trip out there if they can, but especially so if you're a landscape photographer.
View attachment 161355View attachment 161358View attachment 161360View attachment 161361View attachment 161362
If you like the SE corner, wait'll you get up north and see... Jerome, Sedona, Show Low, Rte 66, Sunset Crater, Wupatki Natl. Monument, Petrified Natl Forest near Holbrook, and oh... and that insignificant canyon formation that stretches from north of Flagstaff all the way out to Lake Mead... LOL.....

Nice looking truck! Congrats on getting "bit".

Cheers!

J

Reactions: Kent R

Art A

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Breckenridge, CO, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Albin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
If it's anything like the motorcycling community, you're already 'socially distanced' in your rigs. It's just a matter of following CDC guidelines and the 'laws of common sense' when you're outside the rigs and 'gathered'. Probably limit trail runs to smaller groups, or if a large number of people show, break it down to 'chalks'/smaller groups.

J
Thank you.

Samson55

Rank 0

Contributor I

Addison, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McElroy
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hazard 1
Hello Overlander's
Name here is Brian, from Dallas, TX, born and raised. College educated and a Navy Veteran. My first off-road vehicle was an 89' Chevy Suburban that was handed down to me at the age of 16 and I worked on it every day, teaching myself by mistakes making mods and having a bad ass truck for a teenager. Moved onto Land Rovers b4 graduation and stuck with them until parents stoped helping out with monies here and there, so I moved on to Jeeps. They are hard to beat, but and will carry you down the road, but I found my passion when I glazed upon the Lexus GX470. The ultimate off-road vehicle that offers so much agile off-road capabilities as well as luxury to boot. Wouldn't call myself a novice at all, but my dad and I use to make frequent trips to Santa Fe with our Rovers and to this day if I see an open trail, I tell myself "why the hell not, lets see where it leads."

Attachments

Dougie87

Rank 0

Contributor I

Japan
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Douglas
Welll, Hello all. I go by Dougie, Active Duty USAF Firefighter currently overseas in Japan. Getting orders back to the USA, and have always been interested in the Overland camping style. I grew up camping but as the folks got older it turned more into "glamping." The wife and kids are huge into the outdoors, as am I, and we are excited to step into the hobby deeper when we return to the states. Looking initially to step in with a strict budget to see how we really like it. As time goes I am sure more and more funds will be put into the hobby. Looking forward to learning more about both the hobby as well as places to adventure all over the USA.

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Are there 'meet ups' or other gatherings of Overland Bound members in the Denver area, even in a COVID environment? How does one get started with others who share this interest these days?
Yes, you can find the next scheduled meetups/rides in the Rally Point section of the websites, under the Rocky Mountain region.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say hello. I'm glad to have finally joined up after stealing all your ideas from YouTube.

I live in Houston, but originally from Pittsburgh.

I found out about OB when Michael (whom I didn't know) came in to the place I was eating breakfast and yelled "Hey, who's got the Hummer?"... it was a brief encounter, but it got me to the site and I've been a fan ever since.

Now I am proud member 24854, just joined today (yes, Michael, I bought the emblems).

Wheeling down here is not like other places...flat, lots of sand. I do most of my off-road travels on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore or Big Bend National/State Parks.

Sadly, the Hummer is gone, and I'm a full-sized truck guy now. Don't do a lot of crazy stuff like some of you. A lot of road-tripping (up to TN, KT, LA, GA, FL), several trips out to CA and back. Most off road is not rock-crawling in my hog....here's why:

My rig is as follows:

2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4WD Shortbed (with coilovers and the Eaton Lockers)
Viair onboard air (455C)
Rigids on pods up front
SR low pro's for rear/scene
DECKED drawer system
ARE cap w/ custom mattress, LED lighting and 12v power
Add-a-leaf for upgrade to HD rear suspension
Onboard safe
Extra battery

Current projects underway:
-black bear performance chip (in data collection phase)
-battery isolator kit (second battery is installed, wiring this week!)
-I'm working on a DIY spare tire carrier - in the grind/weld phase right now

Future projects:
-light bar up front
-rack for the cap

Pics to come soon.

I'm hoping to get from these forms:
- how to's, tips and idea
- understand where some good routes are (I'm thinking Ozarks or a long Colorado trip soon)
- attend some meetups, gain some skills

Glad to meet y'all!

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Thanks :blush: It seems like Botswana will only open their borders early 2021 unfortunately, so yes, prudent to postpone. DWNP / Bigfoot aren't taking any bookings for 2021 yet either, only changed 2020 bookings.

Let's hope we can get out there sooner!

Thanks Christoff, BTW I enjoy your YT channel with Edwin and 4x4Venture's Botswana trip. We were planning a trip for this year, but would rather leave it for next.

Reactions: PapaDave and Kent R

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hey All
My name is Glenn, and live in Franklin, TN
My rig is a 1997 Toyota Landcruiser 40th!
Slowly getting it ready: just added the CRB front bumper, Dobsons shocks/ coils, Dobsons interior drawers, I have a Freespirit 55 tent. 35 tires
Last year I completed a 3,000 mile trek from Tennessee to Maine following AT. Now in a 6,000 mile journey across US
Welcome from Kingston Springs! If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to message me.

Reactions: PapaDave and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say hello. I'm glad to have finally joined up after stealing all your ideas from YouTube.

I live in Houston, but originally from Pittsburgh.

I found out about OB when Michael (whom I didn't know) came in to the place I was eating breakfast and yelled "Hey, who's got the Hummer?"... it was a brief encounter, but it got me to the site and I've been a fan ever since.

Now I am proud member 24854, just joined today (yes, Michael, I bought the emblems).

Wheeling down here is not like other places...flat, lots of sand. I do most of my off-road travels on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore or Big Bend National/State Parks.

Sadly, the Hummer is gone, and I'm a full-sized truck guy now. Don't do a lot of crazy stuff like some of you. A lot of road-tripping (up to TN, KT, LA, GA, FL), several trips out to CA and back. Most off road is not rock-crawling in my hog....here's why:

My rig is as follows:

2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4WD Shortbed (with coilovers and the Eaton Lockers)
Viair onboard air (455C)
Rigids on pods up front
SR low pro's for rear/scene
DECKED drawer system
ARE cap w/ custom mattress, LED lighting and 12v power
Add-a-leaf for upgrade to HD rear suspension
Onboard safe
Extra battery

Current projects underway:
-black bear performance chip (in data collection phase)
-battery isolator kit (second battery is installed, wiring this week!)
-I'm working on a DIY spare tire carrier - in the grind/weld phase right now

Future projects:
-light bar up front
-rack for the cap

Pics to come soon.

I'm hoping to get from these forms:
- how to's, tips and idea
- understand where some good routes are (I'm thinking Ozarks or a long Colorado trip soon)
- attend some meetups, gain some skills

Glad to meet y'all!
Welcome to Overland Bound
Good story about meeting Michael, I can see him doing that.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @brien. The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: Mr.RoadWarrior

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welll, Hello all. I go by Dougie, Active Duty USAF Firefighter currently overseas in Japan. Getting orders back to the USA, and have always been interested in the Overland camping style. I grew up camping but as the folks got older it turned more into "glamping." The wife and kids are huge into the outdoors, as am I, and we are excited to step into the hobby deeper when we return to the states. Looking initially to step in with a strict budget to see how we really like it. As time goes I am sure more and more funds will be put into the hobby. Looking forward to learning more about both the hobby as well as places to adventure all over the USA.
When you get back to the states here are some links to help you.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
FYI, All Overland Expo shows have been cancelled this year. Due to Covid 19 concerns.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Overlander's
Name here is Brian, from Dallas, TX, born and raised. College educated and a Navy Veteran. My first off-road vehicle was an 89' Chevy Suburban that was handed down to me at the age of 16 and I worked on it every day, teaching myself by mistakes making mods and having a bad ass truck for a teenager. Moved onto Land Rovers b4 graduation and stuck with them until parents stoped helping out with monies here and there, so I moved on to Jeeps. They are hard to beat, but and will carry you down the road, but I found my passion when I glazed upon the Lexus GX470. The ultimate off-road vehicle that offers so much agile off-road capabilities as well as luxury to boot. Wouldn't call myself a novice at all, but my dad and I use to make frequent trips to Santa Fe with our Rovers and to this day if I see an open trail, I tell myself "why the hell not, lets see where it leads."
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @brien. The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982 who can help you get in contact with the DFW meet-up

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey all, I'm Brandon, Living in Spokane, driving a GX470 just starting to build it.
The day I got it,
View attachment 161400
Sitting in the driveway
View attachment 161401
Posing in Central Oregon
View attachment 161402
Welcome to Overland Bound Brandon
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: Ebbs

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Brad (@LoneStar ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Reece (@Reecet95 ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. There is a Taco Tuesday meet up in Houston if you are interested.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Morgan (@Deshi ), welcome from Oklahoma.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. We have had meet ups in Gilbert, hopefully they will return as people start coming out of force hibernation. Keep an eye out for an East Valley meet up.

Coffeeanda4x4

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Austin, Texas, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Caballero
Member #

Howdy y'all!

New member and Overlander based in Texas – I love exploration and adventure and the active meditation of living intentionally when packing everything you need and not much you won't. Intermediate off-road pilot, amateur overland-er, grateful to the journey and those I meet along the way!

My trusty steed: 2003 Toyota 4Runner with a strong heart

Cheers!

Matt

Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77