MegaLander Build

• HTML tutorial

Bob Levenhagen

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Hello all. I'm currently collecting parts and pieces to build my 2006 Dodge 2500 HEMI Mega Cab.

Project Name: MegaLander

MegaLander1.jpg
Goal: The MegaLander will mainly serve base camp duties while out on extended adventures through out North America. It has to be dependable for both long highway journeys (to get to the good stuff) and for back-country exploration - sometimes as a solo vehicle.

Purpose: I like to explore back-country destinations over extended periods of time - only coming to town when necessary. I also like to cook while in the back country and have acquired, over the years, a good collection of gear that just doesn't fit in my Jeep very well. When I do have it all stuffed in the Jeep, a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, I have to take the back seat out to distribute the weight and bulk of the gear. Makes the Jeep a little portly... Time to build a new vehicle, so the Jeep can just do trail guide duties.

Plan: Synergy MFG 3" lift long travel / long arm suspension with KING 2.5" remote res shocks. We will swap in an AAM 11.5 rear axle (gas trucks have the smaller AAM 10.5 which has no locker available and is limited to 4.56 gears). NITRO 5.13 gears with ARB air lockers front and back will be the end result. I also have an Advanced Adapters 5:1 ATLAS transfer case which will be mated to a built 545RFe transmission. That should get the drivetrain up to the task at hand . JE Reel drivelines will ensure we get power to the ground.
Trail Ready HD20 beadlocks are sitting in the shed waiting to be wrapped with MAXXIS 37X13.50 RAZR tires. Trail Ready bumpers are ordered front and rear, the rear having a dual swing out setup. WARN will be used for winches, a 16.5ti front and M12000 for the rear. Cargo Glide is on board and will be used as the base to build my kitchen off of. To protect this beast from trail pinstripes, let's face it a Mega Cab is a BIG truck, I'll be spraying the entire truck in ULTRA, a new UV stable exterior top coat product from LINEX that can be about any color you want. Leaning towards a color called GOBI...

I'll have to design and build real side rails for this beast, the Mega Cab has a lot of area to protect... Another item to design and build will be the hard aluminum tonneau cover to 1) keep the kitchen dry and 2) give a place to mount the ODIN Designs RTT and Alu-Cab awning to.

Lots to do... Stay Tuned

Bob

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

Actually,the 10.5 rear from a Power Wagon has an electric locker,but still limited gear choices

Bob Levenhagen

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Actually,the 10.5 rear from a Power Wagon has an electric locker,but still limited gear choices
I know, but has electric locker as only option which is way more expensive than the ARB or Detroit option for the 11.5. As you said has limited gearing as well. 4.56 is as deep as you can go. Need 5.13's

Reactions: gtomike

Bob Levenhagen

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Synergy MFG suspension parts on the way as are the Maxx is RAZRs
Decided to go 37X12.50/17 to get better sidewall deflection and a better aired down footprint off road. Finalizing the bumper order on Monday.

Reactions: kickkem

Bob Levenhagen

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Started drawing the rock rails, nothing out there suits my needs (or fits a mega cab). Also have been in contact with Cargo Glide to get started on the Kamp Kitchen build...

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Nice! Looking forward to watching your build. What bumper did you decide to go with? I like the White Knuckle offroad sliders, but I feel they are overpriced, especially when you add shipping.

Bob Levenhagen

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nice! Looking forward to watching your build. What bumper did you decide to go with? I like the White Knuckle offroad sliders, but I feel they are overpriced, especially when you add shipping.
Trail Ready, bare steel no tube. That way I can tweak it to fit my needs. All the bumpers on the market stick out to far - bad approach angles. I get why they are designed that way, to make room for the winch in the diesel application. There's a ton of stuff in the way in front of the radiator on a diesel. Mines a HEMI truck and there's room for days up there. I am quite certain we can sink the bumper back to gain approach angle. I can also add tube to my choosing. Then it either gets powder coated or LINEX'd in house...

Those sliders are decent. Not a fan of the pinch together mounting system... Truck sliders are expensive to ship - shipping costs money and it is what it is. You can thank AMAZON and all the online re-sellers that offer "free" shipping for screwing the shipping industry up. There will be a 100 lbs of steel per side - especially on a mega cab

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Trail Ready, bare steel no tube. That way I can tweak it to fit my needs. All the bumpers on the market stick out to far - bad approach angles. I get why they are designed that way, to make room for the winch in the diesel application. There's a ton of stuff in the way in front of the radiator on a diesel. Mines a HEMI truck and there's room for days up there. I am quite certain we can sink the bumper back to gain approach angle. I can also add tube to my choosing. Then it either gets powder coated or LINEX'd in house...

Those sliders are decent. Not a fan of the pinch together mounting system... Truck sliders are expensive to ship - shipping costs money and it is what it is. You can thank AMAZON and all the online re-sellers that offer "free" shipping for screwing the shipping industry up. There will be a 100 lbs of steel per side - especially on a mega cab
Yeah,
Being a gasser definitely helps. Not long ago I saw a Hemi powerwagon with a winch behind a stock bumper.
I like the pinch/sandwitch type of mounting to the frame the best. I have seen sliders welded to the frame that took a pretty hard hit to the mounting bar and torn the frame base metal. Realistically, if made right, the pinch should be stronger, IMHO.

I'll have to look you up the next time I am down south.

Reactions: gtomike