Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I just got some nice new tires and I wanted to make sure I am running them at the proper PSI. This is not my first rodeo with a Jeep JK or JKU or Land Cruiser with oversized tires and an E load rating. But come on, can I get an accurate reading or at least close to accurate. When we air down in the trails it would be nice to know that I am at 30 PSI and I aired down to 18 PSI. NOT, I started at the number 24 on this gauge and now I am at 12. It would be nice for it to be accurate. Just a bit of a gripe after I bought 2 expensive named brand gauges and they are so far off the others that I have no idea of what the "true" reading is. I guess doing it the old fashion way of "It looks about right" maybe my best bet.

fullsizeoutput_757.jpeg IMG_3277.jpg IMG_3278.jpg fullsizeoutput_758.jpeg

Reactions: Kent R

Shaun Harvey

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brisbane, Australia
Member #

I would immediately disregard the 2 rod style gauges. There's a reason they're always cheap. I've never seen an accurate one in my life. The ARB one is my go to, but I'm looking at getting a digital version potentially.

If you are really concerned about the tyres pick one gauge and stick with it. Then through observation (tyre wear, tyre temp.) and ride quality adjust to a pressure you're happy with (for example 31 on the ARB gauge). Then just keep using the ARB gauge and if its decent quality it'll be consistent if not 100% accurate. Consistency is more important than accuracy.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I bought a indeflate and it's pretty accurate, checked it with a calibratet gauge and it's ok, also you can be sure both tires on the axle are completely on the same pressure.
It's pricey but the quality is really good.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

The SLIME Stick gauge was perfectly accurate. The rest were off. I went to a local tire dealer who just had his equipment calibrated. The ARB was in fact 6 pounds off. That was surprising to me. He encouraged me to get a quality gauge and not rely on the stick gauge too long. They tent to have a short lifespan.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I borrowed a calibrated gauge from a friend who's an aviation mechanic. I sent back 4 arb guages before giving up on getting an accurate one. The best I've found testing side by side are some of the large glow in the dark face race gauges like the circle track guy's around here use.

That said the number isn't nearly as critical so much as consistent proper inflation. If you've set your pressure initially with the chalk method(or with an IR temp gauge if you're so equipped) so long as you can reset/ check using that same gauge you set them with it will work fine.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I borrowed a calibrated gauge from a friend who's an aviation mechanic. I sent back 4 arb guages before giving up on getting an accurate one. The best I've found testing side by side are some of the large glow in the dark face race gauges like the circle track guy's around here use.

That said the number isn't nearly as critical so much as consistent proper inflation. If you've set your pressure initially with the chalk method(or with an IR temp gauge if you're so equipped) so long as you can reset/ check using that same gauge you set them with it will work fine.
I am using some of the kids sidewalk chalk. In between our crazy thunderstorms here in Fl. I hope to get this done this weekend. I have to look that the IR method. That would be new to me. Thanks for that. After that I will understand where I need to be on whatever tire gauge I use.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I have two Accu-Gauges and they are within a psi of eachother.

Last year I purchased a JACO, but returned it because it was several psi off of my other gauges.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The SLIME Stick gauge was perfectly accurate. The rest were off. I went to a local tire dealer who just had his equipment calibrated. The ARB was in fact 6 pounds off. That was surprising to me. He encouraged me to get a quality gauge and not rely on the stick gauge too long. They tent to have a short lifespan.
That ARB one should be returned/exchanged with no trouble. Explain to them that it is off, and why it is off. You should have no problems. I believe i read about another, who had the same issue with their ARB deflator gauge,
and the customer service took care of it. If they do send a replacement, ask that it is checked and or calibrated first. Jeff in their customer service department has done me right, as another OB member who had an issue with a ARB product fail. Good luck.

PS: try to return the others also.....

Reactions: Boort

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I am using some of the kids sidewalk chalk. In between our crazy thunderstorms here in Fl. I hope to get this done this weekend. I have to look that the IR method. That would be new to me. Thanks for that. After that I will understand where I need to be on whatever tire gauge I use.
Will you explain the infrared method? Im guessing that im looking for particular heat readings at different spots on the tire, but what numbers should one look for?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Will you explain the infrared method? Im guessing that im looking for particular heat readings at different spots on the tire, but what numbers should one look for?
You use an IR thermometer and measure your values O/C/I (outside/center/inside) on each tire after a few min of driving. The values can guide inflation, as well as a quick check of alignment.

If the center temp in relation to the outer and inside of that tire is low pressure needs to come up.

If the center temp is high in relation to them it needs to go down.

For optimum traction and tire life on pavement you want the tire’s temperature as close to you can get it to even across the tread.

If both outside readings on the front are high it’s typically toe in, if both the inside readings are high it’s typically camber, or toe out.

The actual temps you get will vary with weather, tire brand, wear, and asphalt surface. This setup method is more about setting the base inflation using the relationship of the numbers in the set to one another.

Trick3d

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
so what i've learned from this thread is that attempting to locate a PSI meter which is accurate on a regular basis is IMPOSSIBLE.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

So - what do you guys do when your ideal on road psi kicks off the low pressure indicator on your vehicle? I absolutely hate idiot lights blinking on my dash...

For that matter, how do you handle it when you air down?

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I use the ARB gauge and love it. Not sure about absolute accuracy but the pressure on the ARB gauge shows same as my tire pressure sensors. Both spot on, like they've been calibrated on same test bench.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
So - what do you guys do when your ideal on road psi kicks off the low pressure indicator on your vehicle? I absolutely hate idiot lights blinking on my dash...

I know what you mean, drives my nuts. I am fortunate that I can dismiss the low tire pressure warning.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

What PSI does your light come on? My light comes on under 28ish and I run 35 front and 37 rear, so , no lights for me!!!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
What PSI does your light come on? My light comes on under 28ish and I run 35 front and 37 rear, so , no lights for me!!!
Mine turn on at 28lbs more or less. I run 35lbs in the tires I have now but I'm looking at tire that seem to like to be run at 28lbs more or less. I don't want to have to "Dismiss" 4 warning every time I start the rig. So far I haven't found a solution to change the trigger point on the tire pressure.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

On my Ranger, it's about 3 or 4# less (or more!!) than what it considers ideal. That is NOT enough - normal summer driving will make it go off sometimes.

TBH, not sure what it is on the Disco - I know it's gone off when I've dropped down into the upper teens on purpose, but haven't messed with it enough to know the actual range.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I just set it to 20psi and I usually don't air down lower.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I've spent 40+ years in the tire business. Finding an accurate gauge is difficult at best. Stick gauges are the worst and digital are best but even those are hit or miss. The TPMS systems on newer vehicles are very accurate. Many vehicles have a readout on the info display showing the pressures on all 4 tires. If you have a vehicle with this feature, check your gauge against what the vehicle readout says.