Launch Member

Contributor I

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
O
Member #

I just returned from a 4-Day trip through the Mojave Road. Even though we hit some bumps along the way, I had a great time! I want to go back again soon, feel free to share any advice to make the next trip even better?

Here's the photos of the journey:

Attachments

Tim Winter

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Carlsbad California
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Winter
Member #

We’d like to do that road. We camped at the Hole in The Wall campground 20 years ago and did a small amount of exploration. What were the temps like? I’m afraid it’s already getting warm out there.

snowdog650

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NorCal
First Name
Derek
Last Name
D
Member #

Heat wise the weather was good, between 70-80 degrees. The only issue we ran into was 2 days of strong winds, especially at night (about 35-45mph gusts).
That was my issue around there in April when I was out at Trona Pinnacles ... crazy wind shifting from minute to minute. One night, we had 50mph winds, and I thought the Kodiak Canvas tent was going to fail for the first time ... but it (thankfully) held true.

The wind changing in the Mojave is no joke.

Reactions: Tim Winter

Contributor III

Camarillo, CA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Rebensdorf
I too was out there in May. Be very careful in the salt lake bed. This was maybe 2-3 weeks post rain. I was following my cousin (who was following other tracks through the lake bed) and he broke through the salt and found basically quicksand. Lots of mud and water It was a 5.5hr recovery to get him out with traction boards a 12kwinch, snatch block, and a V8 yanking him out with a kinetic strap. Turns out we were off the trail and didn’t realize it. Didn’t get him out til 10:30 at night and didn’t get to do the Little Rock ceremony thing. :(
10/10 would do the trail again though. Traveling West to East let us finish with a dip in the Colorado river in Laughlin. Washed all the mud off from the Friday recovery.

Attachments

afilado_o

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
O
Member #

I too was out there in May. Be very careful in the salt lake bed. This was maybe 2-3 weeks post rain. I was following my cousin (who was following other tracks through the lake bed) and he broke through the salt and found basically quicksand. Lots of mud and water It was a 5.5hr recovery to get him out with traction boards a 12kwinch, snatch block, and a V8 yanking him out with a kinetic strap. Turns out we were off the trail and didn’t realize it. Didn’t get him out til 10:30 at night and didn’t get to do the Little Rock ceremony thing. :(
10/10 would do the trail again though. Traveling West to East let us finish with a dip in the Colorado river in Laughlin. Washed all the mud off from the Friday recovery.

Yikes! I was a little nervous going through Soda Lake because of the horror stories I heard. The only casualty I had was at the end of Mojave West, right before the river crossing, I ripped off my steps. Time to upgrade to rock sliders!

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

Any gas/ store owners give you crap about ignoring the stay at home mandate?
Actually quite the opposite. I was out there these exact same days except traveling East to west and I filled up at Avi Resort and they were happy to have us patron them as it has been relatively slow and the clerk offered me a free cup of coffee. I then bought a few other food items I didn't really need but because of the courteous treatment it seemed like the right thing to do.

Reactions: California Overland

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I just returned from a 4-Day trip through the Mojave Road. Even though we hit some bumps along the way, I had a great time! I want to go back again soon, feel free to share any advice to make the next trip even better?

Here's the photos of the journey:
Awesome. I signed the book at the mailbox right after you. I was traveling East to West.

Attachments

Reactions: afilado_o