• HTML tutorial

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

My first set of MaxxTrax were stolen from the bed of my truck while they were Ubolt mounted and pad locked. I guess they really wanted them more than I did, lol. The next set will be mounted higher up with security head fasteners.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Question on the Maxtrax. Can I get the measurements of the mounting holes, length and width?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Caddis

MaxTrax 4 mounting pin dimensions from the enclosed card: 270mm X 890mm
Please note" Manufacturing tolerances may effect these dimensions slightly, so please check these measurements against your MaxTrax before drilling. Measure twice, drill once!

R C

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northern VA
Member #

I think we are all in sore need of alternative MAXTRAX, et.al. mounting methods. I've found I use MAXTRAX one of two ways - if I'm Overlanding or hitting fire roads, I just throw them on top of my Gobi and use short ratcheting straps. Cheap and easy. However, there have been times I'm off-roading (most recently at Windrock, TN) and I'm using them the whole time. (Here is a vid of using them to try to avoid hitting an active natural gas line - )

However, it took too long to keep dismounting them, and then re-stapping them to the roof. If I just threw them up there, they would slide around and be annoying. I ended up having to keep opening and closing the lift gate to throw them in there, which got everything muddy.

So I started looking around - looks like Blue Ridge has a tire-mount MAXTRAX bag (which doesn't get reviewed very well) and MT has their tire kit. Neither of which help me - so I'm kicking ideas around. I am thinking about buying the MAXTRAX tire mount with the two hooks. Then figuring out a way to mount the hooks to the Gobi Ladder. That way, for long trips I can store them there and sinch them down. If I need them frequently, its just a matter of un hooking them.

Bottom line - there is a large market for cheap, easy to use recovery mat mounting options so people don't have to keep building their own.

Reactions: LandPirate

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Love the mounting option on the Rhino Rack and Front Runner. I'm sure this could be fabed for any rack, with some ingenuity.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Love the mounting option on the Rhino Rack and Front Runner. I'm sure this could be fabed for any rack, with some ingenuity.
Ditto. Before I went with the Pioneer Platform I used to just ratchet strap them to the basket but was never really stoked with that method. When I bought the Pioneer I had to get the side mount attachments for the MaxTrax right away. Loading and unloading them is super easy and keeping them on the side hangers frees up a lot of space up top.

Reactions: R C

R C

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northern VA
Member #

View attachment 30874 View attachment 30875
I was worried, but I made mine fit with the small spacing I had on my bars.
I like that - what did you use for the "copper color" bar?

I was just going to hit Lowe's with weekend and pick up some flat bar with pre-drilled holes and how they meet the 10.5" threshold. But that seems to work fine. I also like how its on the inside for security.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Thanks, I bought this set up from Fourtreks. He didn't have it on his website, but does offer it. I do like the convenience of having the maxtrax outside for ease of getting to. But I figured they'll be safer (somewhat) on the inside of the cage.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Since I relocated license plate I decided to mount my x-traction boards to my back gate behind the tire. 2 mounted with room for 2 more ! Used 1/4 inch bolts with washer and lock nuts , rubber grommets were perfect fit for mounting holes and plastic screw on knobs all purchased at Home Depot!20170812_194911.jpg 20170729_163655.jpg

Reactions: RainGoat

R C

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northern VA
Member #

Thanks, I bought this set up from Fourtreks. He didn't have it on his website, but does offer it. I do like the convenience of having the maxtrax outside for ease of getting to. But I figured they'll be safer (somewhat) on the inside of the cage.
Thanks man - I reached out to Luke at Fourtreks and he has them in stock (and not on the sight). Going to order tonight, thanks for the info. Interestingly, he sent me some photos of it and one of them was the pic you posted above! Are you Luke?? :P

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

No, but he wanted me to send him some pictures when I had mine mounted. I had to make it work, cause my spacing wasn't very wide with the metal work on the sides, but I got it figured out. I also used those clamps for my awning on the driver side.