Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Wasn't sure if this would be better here in "General Discussion" or "Off Topic".

I have been watching way too much YouTube! Help I need to go too YTA ;) or something like that. Great ideas out there!!! Just wish I had the cash, dinero, some pounds sterling or the plastic-stuff from Canada (I love Canada, no disrespect).

Storage is the biggest issue, no matter what vehicle you drive - am I right? I have many ideas, from many different sources. The key is Maximize the storage in a Minimized way. In my Jeep TJ, I really need to think this through.
I would love a couple drawers (low profile) and an ARB fridge. I would love to make it myself, my DIY skills are limited (or better yet, my DIY knowledge is limited). The things I accomplish, are not always my ideas, I see a picture or see it in use somewhere else - and BAM, the light comes on. But the light has not come on, on how to implement this type of project - any thoughts?

If you have a Jeep TJ (preferred) and have photos and maybe a material list and don't mind sharing - I would be able to see the big picture and create something that works for me. Many thanks

These photos are of work I have done, around the house. But sadly, they're not my ideas. The steps I saw in a magazine, I know not a big deal. The porch, I saw the carriage lights on another house, and just rolled with it.
FB_IMG_1517338514567.jpg FB_IMG_1517338523222.jpg FB_IMG_1517338496282.jpg FB_IMG_1517338503370.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Murphy Slaw

Stomper4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redding, California
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

If you can do that, you can make drawers for inside you rig. And no worries about not being original. Most ideas, even great ones, are an evolution of other peoples ideas. Artists, chefs, craftspeople all borrow ideas. Look around and get to it! Doing is how you learn. No one was born knowing this stuff :D Enjoy!

Reactions: Voodoo 1

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

If you can do that, you can make drawers for inside you rig. And no worries about not being original. Most ideas, even great ones, are an evolution of other peoples ideas. Artists, chefs, craftspeople all borrow ideas. Look around and get to it! Doing is how you learn. No one was born knowing this stuff :D Enjoy!
Ditto !

5byland

Rank 0

Traveler I

Definitely agree with the others, you have the skills (and probably the tools also).

Almost everything I have built at home or in my Jeeps has been someone else's design with my own little improvements to match my needs.

Not really what you are looking for, but as an example I will be building over-the-wheel storage and replacing the sleeping platform in my LJ next weekend. Something like this, but made out of plywood for the storage boxes and not lockable:

This project started with a lot of google image searches, paper sketches, and measuring in the Jeep, then repeat that several times. I also made a list of the goals for the build:
  • One side is for tools, the other is for supplies on camping trips
  • My kids should still be comfortable sitting back there
  • The tops should allow for devices to be placed on them without them sliding off
  • I don't want to drill into the body
  • They should be easily removable with simple tools
  • These need to include a protruding 3/4" lip as a base for a sleeping platform
  • They should not interfere with the fold and tumble of the rear seat
  • Both front seats need to be able to slide all the way back
It took me five or six sketches to figure out what I want and the material needed to get it done.

Lastly, I am a firm believer in trial and error on projects that are not load bearing/safety features. The above design is a huge improvement over the current sleeping platform in the LJ, but only because it's the second time I'm building a sleeping platform.