mase001's 2016 4Runner Trail build

• HTML tutorial

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

So I admittedly have zero idea where this build is going to go but I figure I should post some pics and see what happens. The idea for what I want is to maintain reliability and use it for light overland travel and off the beaten path camping. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing etc. I also will use the truck in snow when going to our cabin so I want to make it perform better in that situation.

Your suggestions, feedback, and critique are welcome.

Here it is on day 1: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition with KDSS

On the second day I got the tires installed that I had researched heavily before I even bought it. 275/70-17 BFG K02's. Looks much better already. I was amazed at how well they rode on asphalt and how quiet they were. I was also happy they fit with zero rubbing and the spare fit. The dealer advised me they would not but I went on friends advice that they did and my friends were correct!

We got 10-11" of snow at the cabin and the tires did great getting me out of my driveway sans plowing! The road was plowed but I didn't want to plow my 75fr driveway hahaha. They also handled well around town in 1-2" of fresh snow after plowing! Overall I was happy with them as that was the major concern I had.

Unfortunately I have some older relatives and even at stock height getting them in and out of the back was challenging. So I researched and found some slim and inexpensive NFAB wheel to wheel steps. I don't anticipate getting rock sliders but if I do I'll sell the NFABs.

Got the Southern Style Offroad Slimline bumper on and Smittybilt N20 Comp winch installed!

That's it so far. I have some interior mods and have an emergency kit in there which I'll detail later. The next mods I am considering are:

-rear bumper of some sort
-install my Yaesu FT-8800 ham radio

After that I'm still considering a few other things.

More to come soon!
Mason

Current Setup:

Exterior:
-Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit with Diff Drop, and Bilstein 5100's
-Camburg UCA's
-BFG KO2's 275/70-17
-Overland Bound Badge ;)
-Southern Style Slim Line bumper with Smittybilt N20 Comp 10K winch. Factor55 and Crosby accessories.

Interior:
-Sleeping platform to level back out

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@mase001

I thought I was reading my own build thread (linked in my sig) at first! Same intentions and same first step. The TEP w/KDSS is already extraordinarily capable, and I don't anticipate needing suspension or protection changes. If I find a need to replace or improve, *then* I'll make a change.

Welcome aboard, and I look forward to your progress.

Reactions: Rob2thec and TMP

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Did this today. Carpet soon. Gonna make for some comfy sleeping! Left a small gap on one side for storage of long and skinny things! :D

Reactions: Rob2thec and TMP

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I think you are going to have to upload the image again, as it didn't save with the post during the problems earlier today.

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Today I ordered the following...pics to come!

Smittybilt X20 Comp 10K
Southern Style Off-road Slimline Bumper
Toytec Ultimate Lift with Bilsteins
Camburg ball joint UCA's (Skipped Uniball due to heavy snow use)

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Well I was sitting in my cabin on a snowy Sunday...

So I decided to order some ARB skid plates and a CBI antenna mount for my Ham Radio Setup! :D

Reactions: jrbechthold

jrbechthold

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Little Elm, Texas
Member #

Suspension going on!
How was this install? did you do it yourself?

I am looking at the Toytec Boss system and would prefer to do it myself, but just curious as to how straightforward it was... seems fairly do-able. (Mainly because my budget for suspension is about $2000 and the quotes from local shops for the install have all added about $600-$700 of labor, which I am not super thrilled about paying.) Not to mention, I want to learn nd do it myself... hehe

Love the build!

Reactions: Eugene_RUS