Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Installed the CKE SSP Transmission Mount Insert (anti-"wobble" insert) the other day, very easy install. Definitely removed the "wobble" I used to get at 18-22mph. Also increased the exhaust sound in a good way, which the maker of the mount seems to think comes from the fact that the exhaust is hard mounted in that same area. Overall, quite happy with this cheap mod.

ETA: thanks to @Wawa Skittletits for making it clear just how easy the install could be...took about 10 minutes once I got enough 2x6's under the bottle jack used to push the trans mount up.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

CT
Installed the CKE SSP Transmission Mount Insert (anti-"wobble" insert) the other day, very easy install. Definitely removed the "wobble" I used to get at 18-22mph. Also increased the exhaust sound in a good way, which the maker of the mount seems to think comes from the fact that the exhaust is hard mounted in that same area. Overall, quite happy with this cheap mod.

ETA: thanks to @wawa_skittletits for making it clear just how easy the install could be...took about 10 minutes once I got enough 2x6's under the bottle jack used to push the trans mount up.
Jeff, I'm glad I saw your thread -- specifically, this post. I'd just about given up on that damned 18-22mph shake, which the dealer (of course) has continually claimed doesn't exist and/or blames the LPA lift for. I'm reading up on the insert now and I'm going to order it for my '16 3.6R as well (mine's also in the best color :wink: -- see below).

Which hardness did you go with on yours?

IMG_20180516_133607.jpg IMG_20180714_105733.jpg

Last edited:

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Martin, I'm glad I saw your thread -- specifically, this post. I'd just about given up on that damned 18-22mph shake, which the dealer (of course) has continually claimed doesn't exist and/or blames the LPA lift for. I'm reading up on the insert now and I'm going to order it for my '16 3.6R as well (mine's also in the best color :wink: -- see below).

Which hardness did you go with on yours?
Good looking car! :) I installed the softer of the two that came in the kit, the 65d one. The dealer isn't incorrect, really... the insert seems to be the only currently known way to decrease it. It's a quick, but awkward job...jack up the trans mount from the center bolt as high as you can get it (a bottle jack makes this easiest), and push the (greased up) insert in from the front side until it pops in. Once you get it jacked up, you'll be able to see/feel where the insert goes.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Were the rally armor mudflaps easy to install? Im about to pull the trigger and get red ones for my crosstrek.
They were. I pulled each wheel to make for more room. I think I'm about to remove them myself. While the oem splash guards don't give the protection these do, but I'm just not loving them aesthetics-wise. The mounting hardware/setup isn't as strong as it could be for something that hangs down that low either.

Reactions: chuckoverland

Kaiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

CT
Looks great, Jeff!

Yeah, Mark at Detours Offroad does great work. Fyi for everyone else: He can make that particular carrier so that it either pivots to the side or straight back. I went for the side option so that it would be easier to get at my trailer's connections and cargo box. It's been really handy.

IMG_20180711_170412.jpg

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Awesome build! I’m really looking forward to diving into my Outback build soon! I love seeing all these great adventure wagons on here!

Reactions: martin_j001

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Spent this past Sunday doing some exploring in North Georgia with a 4th gen Outback driving buddy, who works at my local dealership. Even got to see some "Winter Wonderland" type weather and scenery. This was in Suches, GA--Coopers Creek and Duncan Ridge trails.

The breakfast meetup.

Headed north.

Waterfall at the side of the road.

As we went north, we hit some more wintery weather, and even patches of ice on the roads...

...so we changed our plan a little and instead of going further up the mountain, we descended back down a little and entered a trail from the low/protected end. Still some snow on the ground, and definitely nice for my wife (who misses snow), and my munchkin to see.

We found some really cool camping spots.

...and let the munchkin run around some to burn some energy while we checked the area out.

After a while on this trail (Coopers Creek), we decided to make our way east over Wolfpen Gap, to see what Duncan Ridge looked like. As we got to the top of the ridge, this is what it looked like.... The trees were coated with ice. Very windy. Very pretty.

You can hear the wind in this video that my wife took...

After a little while on this road, we decided to turn back. My friend said the trail got a little tighter and rockier as we went on, and between that and the ice on the ground and in the trees, I didn't really feel up to taking any chances at all with the family on board. Still enjoyed a great couple of hours exploring some trails.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Installed a Nilight 20" light bar on the bumper guard. Ran all the wiring in non-permanent ways to see if this is something I will get use out of, and whether it would be worth "going big" with it (like Rigid or Black Oak, with a switched setup and more permanent wiring run). Need to spend some time aiming it a bit better at night, but can already tell that one with twice the output would be better without question.

Took another trip up into the mountains this past weekend. Thought I'd try a road that was closed before, thinking with the shutdown over maybe it would be opened back up, but no luck. The trail up until this point is some of the more rocky stuff I've personally been on, so definitely cool to experience the car having no issues whatsoever and making it seem like a walk in the park. After we got turned back, we dropped into the trail at a different spot and rode through from there. The munchkin took her usual dirt road nap in the back seat, and my wife and I enjoyed a quiet drive with good scenery...with no leaves on the trees, the view can be quite nice at times.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Looking naked without the basket and awning up top. Drove from ATL--> Waco, TX and back in less than a week (4 travel days, 2 full days there). Saw 21-22mpg on the highways, 19 or so around town before leaving and while in TX. About to need another set of tires and need to choose... G015's or K02's.