Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Upgraded to this from a 2015 GTI (lowered, stage 2) that wasn't quite the family car I had thought it might be before our daughter joined us in early 2016). Decided I wanted something bigger, easier to get in and out of, easier to get my daughter in and out of, and something that more suited our lifestyle (camping, hiking, shooting ranges/training classes that often involved dirt roads and parking off pavement). So, enter the 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. Haven't decided how far I'll take this yet, as it is still my daily driver more than anything else, but we'll see where it goes. I spend enough time in it that I want it to be fun to be in no matter what I'm doing....

Mods so far include:
Ceramic tint (35% front, 50% back, 80% windshield and sun roof)
Lamin-X yellow films on fogs
Yakima LoadWarrior with Extension
Yakima spare tire carrier
Motegi MR118 (17x8et32) with Continental TerrainContact 245/65R17
Torklift Ecohitch
EverStart Maxx Group 24 battery
LP Aventure 2" lift (added after this post)
LP Aventure skidplate (added after this post)
LP Aventure Canister Filter Breather relocation (added after this post)
LP Aventure subframe support skidplates (added after this post)
LP Aventure Rear Differential Cover (added after this post)
CKE SSP Transmission Mount Insert (added Nov 2018)
LP Aventure small bumper guard with plate (added Dec 2018)
Rally Armor mud flaps (added Dec 2018)
Knucklebone hitch mounted spare tire carrier (Dec2018)

Future mods I'd like to do, or am considering:
2" lift (debating ADF vs. LP vs....) DONE
ADF Molle storage racks for back windows
Fire extinguisher & mount
more lighting
water carrying/storage solution of some sort
considering some sort of comms outside of cell phone (cb, gmrs/frs...?)
brush/bumper guard*
undercarriage protection* DONE

*might depend somewhat on just how much I'm finding myself out adventuring off road

Here's a few pics....

The day I bought...

LoadWarrior on (no extension)

Lamin-X films on fogs, slightly edited pic

New wheels, tires, and LoadWarrior extension on

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks! And thanks for answering my questions and all yesterday over on Ig. Your build is definitely giving me some inspiration for mine!
Definitely glad to help!

Look into your local MtnRoo Southeast chapter. (https://m.facebook.com/groups/MtnRooSoutheast/?ref=group_header&view=group) If you can make it happen I’d encourage you to try some trail runs with them. Taking a Subaru off road is a bit different and learning how/when to use a valuable tool like x mode makes all the difference.

Reactions: martin_j001

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Definitely glad to help!

Look into your local MtnRoo Southeast chapter. (https://m.facebook.com/groups/MtnRooSoutheast/?ref=group_header&view=group) If you can make it happen I’d encourage you to try some trail runs with them. Taking a Subaru off road is a bit different and learning how/when to use a valuable tool like x mode makes all the difference.
Joined already, and have gotten some good info there as well. Hoping to make it to check out some trails or something soon.

New mods...these add like 5hp and +8 trail handling ability, right?

Orsini Vinyl badges front and back, and a couple other stickers. Debating where to put the OverlandBound badge as well.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Finally “hard mounted” my Dark Angel DARK med kit to the passenger size head rest. Used an old nylon belt that’s just clipped onto the headrest. Having used the contacts in responding to a motorcycle vs auto accident (if you follow Dark Angel’s social media at all, its save #75), and using a tourniquet to prevent someone from bleeding to death before they could get medical care, I don’t do much at all anymore without a tourniquet on or near my person.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Very cool Outback! Saw this very cool Subi today at the OB OC Rigs & Coffee event. Had a 2 1/2” lift with aggressive tires. And for old time sake, check out the Brat that was there! Keep it going....looks like you’re setting it up right.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Very cool Outback! Saw this very cool Subi today at the OB OC Rigs & Coffee event. Had a 2 1/2” lift with aggressive tires. And for old time sake, check out the Brat that was there! Keep it going....looks like you’re setting it up right.
Jason is a cool guy and his Brat is definitely awesome.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Cool man! Now you know what I meant when I said things don’t move haha. They’re solid mounts.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Cool man! Now you know what I meant when I said things don’t move haha. They’re solid mounts.
They are indeed. Do I remember you saying you "protected" the rack bars with something before clamping these on? I've already scratched mine up good during the install (as I mostly had to hold it myself, my assistant wasn't as sure about what "hold it still" meant as I was, lol).

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Haha @martin_j001. No I didn’t use anything with the Fourtreks because I didn’t feel they needed any help in the mechanical grip department. I used air line/heater hose with some other things to help grip, not necessarily protect.

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Haha @martin_j001. No I didn’t use anything with the Fourtreks because I didn’t feel they needed any help in the mechanical grip department. I used air line/heater hose with some other things to help grip, not necessarily protect.
Ok, cool, that's right. I'm going to need to get some folding step stools to reach up top anyway, since this thing is going to get taller... should make life easier on the help too, lol (and the munchkin loves climbing into her car seat too).

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Those Motegi wheels wheels look great in black with All Terrain tires!
Thanks! I thought so too ever since I first saw them on these, before I bought the car. :) Oddly enough, I had a white VW GTI before this...and I hated the idea of black wheels on it. On this car though, it just works.

Reactions: Daryl 32

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Snagged some recovery gear from a few local companies. Thanks to O'Neil Overland and Mercantile, who is right down the street from me for the MaxTrax and the tour of the shop and some of their campers, and to Southeast Overland for the quick responses and shipping in getting me a kinetic rope and soft shackles.

Appropriate stickerage added for +5 don't get stuck points. :)

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Did some camping with the family this past weekend, the wagon size and basket on top came in handy. Also managed to get in a drive on some dirt roads in the area, checking out Sarah's Creek Rd (and camp areas) as well as Walnut Fork Rd. The entire family enjoyed the camping, and we have plans to do more of it as the weather starts to cool down from "holy %^*@ it's hot and humid" to "wow, it's really nice out". :)

Also, turned off the seat belt warning chime, turned down the "car acquisition" chimes (adaptive cruise control settings), and got a new pouch for the passenger seat headrest med kit.

Traveler I

It's a great looking build! I just recently made a car purchase and I was waffling between getting back into a manual transmission sedan that is kinda sporty and a Subaru Outback that I could build out like you have. You're almost making me regret the Honda Accord Sport that I got. LOL

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
That is kewl! I wish there were more pictures of it![emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]