Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I use an Ipad (which has GPS), and an InReach (Sat Comm) and mapping software. I of course got Delorme book maps, off road guids and whatever I have printed out......For the map software I use both of these: Avenza Maps - How it works, Gaia GPS: Navigate, Track, and Explore.
I was a bit anti Gaia but I found out more on "how to" and now it is the one I am using mostly (or always). We got a discounted rate for the pro or upgraded version, which is the way to go....

read this thread and ask away, this dude is awesome! Heck I even asked non GAIA questions...LOL: Ask me about Gaia GPS!

Jim

Reactions: MedfordChris

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
What are some good resources for off road maps?
If you want a book, depending on where you live, you can get a Road and Recreation Atlas. Or a Gazetteer. Just picked up a Road and Recration Atlas for WA the other day. Super detailed. Shows all campsites. Elevation. Roads and which type of road. Don’t plan on getting too invested in devices such as iPads dedicated to Gaia Maps and that type of stuff just yet.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I use an app called back country navigator. I really like it since the app doesn't require a subscription fee, just an initial one. There are several different type of imagery you can download to your tablet or phone. As long as you have a device that has a GPS built in it works great. You can add overlays, and even add blm land and private land markers.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
The USGS will send you all of its topomaps in GeoPDF format if you send them a hard drive. You can also contact them and ask for specific regions. If you're the patient type, you can download all of those maps through their web portal.

GeoPDFs are used by the GAIA and Avenza apps (among others) and do not require a data connection but do require a GPS signal.

The USGS GeoPDFs can also be printed in high resolution and large format for those of us who like to have our data in both digital and dead-tree form.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Macaki

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
King
Member #

What are some good resources for off road maps?
I've been using View Ranger for android for several years, it's an initial payment but no ongoing fees. It allows you to download a variety of map types so you can use them when your off the grid.

I've just recently started using Gaia after reading recommendations here. So far I'm liking it, not sure yet if its better or not, but I do like some of the maps which aren't available in View Ranger.

I used to use mapping on my phone, but have recently mounted an 8" Tab A tablet on the dash, inexpensive and it's working great.

Mark

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I like Gaia gps. it is a good mapping app but it will cost you. I also like this: Forest Service Visitor Map it is a free site put out by the national forest service, unfortunately it is only good for forest service lands.
that Forest Service map is great, of course only if you have cell service but a fun planning map and one for checking alerts before leaving
thanks

rrichiej

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodside, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Jekat
Member #

I’m having trouble finding the app and navigating the site to find trail info. Im a new member, #24881, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated So far I am really enjoying the community, and my first post was answered in depth by many members with fantastic information. My family is in need of an adventure here in Northern California , so if you could guide me to some trail maps to get us out in the mountainted, I would appreciate it.
Richard

tacoman

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Louisville, KY
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I'm a big fan of trailsoffroad and Gaia. I do wish Gaia gps worked better on desktop. I'm planning a trip out west to Montana, but not finding much on for that part of the country on Gaia.

tacoman

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Louisville, KY
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I’m having trouble finding the app and navigating the site to find trail info. Im a new member, #24881, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated So far I am really enjoying the community, and my first post was answered in depth by many members with fantastic information. My family is in need of an adventure here in Northern California , so if you could guide me to some trail maps to get us out in the mountainted, I would appreciate it.
Richard
Hey Richard, I'm in the same boat, but I just realized I have to make 4 posts before everything comes available. I'm hoping that map looks waaaaay busier after my 4 posts - so far I'm pretty disappointed in what I can see on it.

rrichiej

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodside, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Jekat
Member #

Is this true. Why do we have to post four times to unlock other aspects of the site. Thanks for the info

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
As for trials on the app... we have to put them there, they don’t come from nowhere.