Maps

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Jim SoG

For God and Country
Staff member
Supporter

Navigator I

Bullhead City, Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
B
Member #

I use an Ipad (which has GPS), and an InReach (Sat Comm) and mapping software. I of course got Delorme book maps, off road guids and whatever I have printed out......For the map software I use both of these: Avenza Maps - How it works, Gaia GPS: Navigate, Track, and Explore.
I was a bit anti Gaia but I found out more on "how to" and now it is the one I am using mostly (or always). We got a discounted rate for the pro or upgraded version, which is the way to go....

read this thread and ask away, this dude is awesome! Heck I even asked non GAIA questions...LOL: Ask me about Gaia GPS!

Jim

Reactions: MedfordChris

alexdnick

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
What are some good resources for off road maps?
If you want a book, depending on where you live, you can get a Road and Recreation Atlas. Or a Gazetteer. Just picked up a Road and Recration Atlas for WA the other day. Super detailed. Shows all campsites. Elevation. Roads and which type of road. Don’t plan on getting too invested in devices such as iPads dedicated to Gaia Maps and that type of stuff just yet.

Jaytperry89

Rank V

Contributor III

Winston, OR, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

I use an app called back country navigator. I really like it since the app doesn't require a subscription fee, just an initial one. There are several different type of imagery you can download to your tablet or phone. As long as you have a device that has a GPS built in it works great. You can add overlays, and even add blm land and private land markers.

OtherOrb

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE7QIF
The USGS will send you all of its topomaps in GeoPDF format if you send them a hard drive. You can also contact them and ask for specific regions. If you're the patient type, you can download all of those maps through their web portal.

GeoPDFs are used by the GAIA and Avenza apps (among others) and do not require a data connection but do require a GPS signal.

The USGS GeoPDFs can also be printed in high resolution and large format for those of us who like to have our data in both digital and dead-tree form.