Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Hi all, I just wanted to share an app I found called 'PDF Viewer' and it tells you how to import pdfs from your computer to your phone. It seems like a good idea in case an app like Hema Explorer (Australian Land Nav App) doesn't pull through or if you don't have wifi or cell tower coverage. I downloaded a complete "MVU-Motor Vehicle Use" map from the Michigan DNR website, for Huron National Forest, and was able to save it to my iPhone (Droids are a little better with storing files). I'm sure other states have similar pdfs, just in case you get lost and are running out of gas......hopefully not! Cheers!

~Josh

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Do you have a contingency plan in case the battery dies, phone gets broken, or if it were to get lost or stolen?

I'd suggest a copy of the "Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer". Following is a quick overview.

"Amazingly detailed and beautifully crafted, large-format paper maps for all 50 states.

Topographic maps with elevation contours, major highways and roads, dirt roads, trails and land use data.

Gazetteer section contains information essential for any outdoor enthusiast, such as points of interest, landmarks, state and national parks, campgrounds, boat launches, golf courses, historic sites, hunting zones, canoe trips, scenic drive recommendations and more (Note: available information varies by state).

Perfect for sightseeing, exploring back roads, outdoor recreation and trip planning."

Reactions: Pilgrim and JimInBC

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Do you have a contingency plan in case the battery dies, phone gets broken, or if it were to get lost or stolen?

I'd suggest a copy of the "Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer". Following is a quick overview.

"Amazingly detailed and beautifully crafted, large-format paper maps for all 50 states.

Topographic maps with elevation contours, major highways and roads, dirt roads, trails and land use data.

Gazetteer section contains information essential for any outdoor enthusiast, such as points of interest, landmarks, state and national parks, campgrounds, boat launches, golf courses, historic sites, hunting zones, canoe trips, scenic drive recommendations and more (Note: available information varies by state).

Perfect for sightseeing, exploring back roads, outdoor recreation and trip planning."
Hardcopy maps ALWAYS come first, but for those whose phone is operable and not pilfered or malfunctioning, its another form of redundancy based on personal preference. Not intended to be the only fallback, by any means, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out - and I'm sure there are comparable products for other states that would be equally useful to others!

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

The other important thing I have found is to look at the paper maps when you are planning and have route there as well. That way it is not foreign when you use it. I will second the Gazetteer. I used it in many trips to the UP when I was younger.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

The other important thing I have found is to look at the paper maps when you are planning and have route there as well. That way it is not foreign when you use it. I will second the Gazetteer. I used it in many trips to the UP when I was younger.
Same here. I have one for each state I've traveled through.

Have you compared a GPS system to them? I've found a handful of instances where the GPS has been wrong and the Gazetteer correct.

I really like the paths and backroads shown in them.

Reactions: JimInBC

Nathan Watkins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pulaski, Giles County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Watkins
Member #

Does anyone know of a GPS tracking system I can get for my vehicle?
I want to start mapping the trails in MY area 1st then travel out mapping further. The Problem I and many others i talk to in my area is We know trail locations but easy to get lost in. Also I listed Horse Creek in East TN as a trail but there is not a map and there are forks to other trails. Horse Creek alone takes a few hours depending on skill and Vehicle and it has no Outlet so it is a IN/OUT trail I'm looking for means to inform people of this and the MANY other trails in my area and further out. The OLB map shows a few locations in my area but most are not even trails. Two of the map points are driveways not even roads. A few are marked as Trails but are only Overlooks or Scenery. I want to help people enjoy the trails we do have and be able to do them with confidence of where they are going to end up. I don't mind taking the time to map trails. I just need to find a GPS system that allows me to map them.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Check this one:

https://tennessee.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,1,fid,1299277,n,rheatown creek.cfm

Not sure how well the trails show up on the online version. You may have to zoom in as far as possible. There should be a satellite option but I'm not seeing it. The PC/laptop version is different than the smartphone version.

Every Gazetteer I have shows every known trail, footpath, cow path and so on. Since they are using the published version of the TN Gazetteer they should be there. Most trails are not marked like a road is. Also, the symbol they use for something like this " - - - - - - - ".

If all else fails you can get an online version from the Library of Congress. Here is a link to the Tennessee one.

https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=LCCN&searchArg=95675214&searchType=1&permalink=y

I found a bunch of trail info by googling "horse creek trail greeneville tn" - if that's the general area your looking at. There were some dedicated websites to that area that had mapped out trails; not sure how many are vehicle friendly though.

Nathan Watkins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pulaski, Giles County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Watkins
Member #

I do apologize maybe I was misunderstood. I Drive a Jeep and 4Runner on Off-road Trails, I know the bike and hike trails already have maps. I'm wanting to MAP the Vehicle trails because they have not been mapped, or the maps are not readily available to other People. There are many videos and pictures of parts of them, But I'm wanting to Map them. I'm asking :
Does anyone know of a GPS tracking system I can get for my vehicle? to Make the maps for other people.
Horse Creek is only One Example, there are a LOT of Vehicle Trails in my area. I want to map them ALL.