Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Mike, awesome should have no problems then.
PS I tried to look for the KML track on the Rally point but I only see a pointer to the Rally Parking Lot Meet-up point. I must be missing something and not look in the correct spot.
Cheers
See if this works until Mike uploads his version which is probably cleaner. I kept mine running during our failed attempt to reach White Rock Lake.

Reactions: TrailHawkGuy

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
We have Ham, GMRS and CB in the rig and two GMRS handhelds & 2 ham handhelds. From what I'm seeing we'll be alright for the trip..

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
If you go to the Rally Point then click the locations tab, scroll down and you will see "Save KML File" Just an FYI
Learned something - didnt realize that this save is different than the info on the map. THANKS and sorry to bug you. Looking forward to my first OB crew venture

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Learned something - didnt realize that this save is different than the info on the map. THANKS and sorry to bug you. Looking forward to my first OB crew venture
Not bugging me what so ever, I'm looking forward to see you out there. It is going to be fun.

Reactions: TrailHawkGuy

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Does someone who's going have any Coleman lantern mantles? I need #51 size.

It seems that Yuba City and Bass Pro down in Sac are sold out! Cannot find them in stock anywhere. :expressionless:

If you can find a pack in your area for me let me know and I will buy them from you when we meet up on the 10th, or at the meeting on the 3rd.

Thanks!

Reactions: JCWages

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Does someone who's going have any Coleman lantern mantles? I need #51 size.

It seems that Yuba City and Bass Pro down in Sac are sold out! Cannot find them in stock anywhere. :expressionless:

If you can find a pack in your area for me let me know and I will buy them from you when we meet up on the 10th, or at the meeting on the 3rd.

Thanks!
I don’t have any mantles but I do have extra GPS devices since you are lacking in them lol.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I wanted to pass along a "few" tips for those new to off-road adventure in an effort to help you prep beforehand and to make the trip more enjoyable. :)

*note, there are sooo many other "overlanding basics" lists that tell you what should have on hand like recovery equipment, first aid kit etc. so I'm not covering those*

1. The trails/roads are VERY dusty. Anything you put in the open bed of a pickup, roof or basically anything outside of the cabin of your vehicle WILL get coated in dust. Place bedding and anything you don't want coated in dust inside plastic bins. I prefer stackable bins that can be locked and are easily cinched down with bungee or ratchet straps. Plano bins are very popular as are the basic "yellow top" bins found at Home Depot, Target, Kmart etc. We use the HDX bins and a Remington all-weather bin we picked up at Sportsman's Warehouse which has wheels and weatherstripping in the lid to keep out water.

2. Cinch down items in the bed and cabin to hold them in place. The trails can be rough and bouncy, especially if you hit a waterbar or whoop at speed because you didn't see it! Items not cinched down may fly out of the bed or fly around the cabin which can very very dangerous to occupants.

3. Buy a headlamp if you don't already have one and attached it to your headrest for quick and easy access. *if you have very tall passengers in the rear then adjust the light to rest on the side of the headrest instead of the rear in the event of an accident the rear passenger's face may slam into the light otherwise.

4. ALWAYS have a roll of toilet paper, sunscreen and mosquito repellent in the vehicle. You will hate life if you need any of these and don't have them. ;)

5. Music: While I don't always listen to music while driving because I am always listening for other vehicles or analyzing noises coming from my vehicle, sometimes it is nice and 80% of the time there is no reception or you are tired of whatever is on your thumb drive. So to fix that you can either buy a larger memory stick and add more new music or buy a subscription to Pandora which allows you to download your playlists to your phone or other mobile device and continue to listen to your music when cell reception runs out.

6. Baby Wipes: Just buy them. So fresh & so clean clean. Also good for cleanup after "events" see list #2. ;)

7. Keep drinks hot or cold: Because we spend A LOT of time just driving around it's nice to keep your favorite beverage hot or cold the entire time so invest in quality drinkware. I buy a lot of RTIC stuff because it is dirt cheap, especially right now! For example the 30oz tumbler is only $10.50 right now vs. $35 at regular price or more for Yeti. All of their products I have purchased from coolers to drinkware to pop up canopy have been of excellent quality.

8. Bring lots of water: You'll use a lot of water for cooking, cleaning and fire dousing. It's also nice to have on hand to wash hands after handling your dusty gear (see #1). 5ga containers can be purchased almost anywhere. A lot of folks use Scepter (or other military style containers), Rotopax, or square/rectangle containers which are easier to strap down in a vehicle.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I wanted to pass along a "few" tips for those new to off-road adventure in an effort to help you prep beforehand and to make the trip more enjoyable. :)

*note, there are sooo many other "overlanding basics" lists that tell you what should have on hand like recovery equipment, first aid kit etc. so I'm not covering those*

1. The trails/roads are VERY dusty. Anything you put in the open bed of a pickup, roof or basically anything outside of the cabin of your vehicle WILL get coated in dust. Place bedding and anything you don't want coated in dust inside plastic bins. I prefer stackable bins that can be locked and are easily cinched down with bungee or ratchet straps. Plano bins are very popular as are the basic "yellow top" bins found at Home Depot, Target, Kmart etc. We use the HDX bins and a Remington all-weather bin we picked up at Sportsman's Warehouse which has wheels and weatherstripping in the lid to keep out water.

2. Cinch down items in the bed and cabin to hold them in place. The trails can be rough and bouncy, especially if you hit a waterbar or whoop at speed because you didn't see it! Items not cinched down may fly out of the bed or fly around the cabin which can very very dangerous to occupants.

3. Buy a headlamp if you don't already have one and attached it to your headrest for quick and easy access. *if you have very tall passengers in the rear then adjust the light to rest on the side of the headrest instead of the rear in the event of an accident the rear passenger's face may slam into the light otherwise.

4. ALWAYS have a roll of toilet paper, sunscreen and mosquito repellent in the vehicle. You will hate life if you need any of these and don't have them. ;)

5. Music: While I don't always listen to music while driving because I am always listening for other vehicles or analyzing noises coming from my vehicle, sometimes it is nice and 80% of the time there is no reception or you are tired of whatever is on your thumb drive. So to fix that you can either buy a larger memory stick and add more new music or buy a subscription to Pandora which allows you to download your playlists to your phone or other mobile device and continue to listen to your music when cell reception runs out.

6. Baby Wipes: Just buy them. So fresh & so clean clean. Also good for cleanup after "events" see list #2. ;)

7. Keep drinks hot or cold: Because we spend A LOT of time just driving around it's nice to keep your favorite beverage hot or cold the entire time so invest in quality drinkware. I buy a lot of RTIC stuff because it is dirt cheap, especially right now! For example the 30oz tumbler is only $10.50 right now vs. $35 at regular price or more for Yeti. All of their products I have purchased from coolers to drinkware to pop up canopy have been of excellent quality.

8. Bring lots of water: You'll use a lot of water for cooking, cleaning and fire dousing. It's also nice to have on hand to wash hands after handling your dusty gear (see #1). 5ga containers can be purchased almost anywhere. A lot of folks use Scepter (or other military style containers), Rotopax, or square/rectangle containers which are easier to strap down in a vehicle.
Awesome, thanks for the tips! Thanks for the music reminder. I forget that I stream my music to my head unit.

Reactions: rho and JCWages

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Good list Justin, lots of good points there! Especially about dust, our truck bed is sort of sealed and honestly it gets less dust inside than the back of my jeep so I have dust seals on everything and second and third layers. damn stuff gets everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages