Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
I don't see anything in the details where we're camping and where the trip ends. Does anyone know this information?

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
We Start in Nevada City and End off of Henness Pass. Still working on where we are going to camp.. Didn't anticipate this many campers, but I super stoked about it!!!
Mike, do you have some info on the road conditions/difficulty of the planned route ie what are vehicle requirements if any special ?
Thanks

Reactions: Magic Mike and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Mike, do you have some info on the road conditions/difficulty of the planned route ie what are vehicle requirements if any special ?
Thanks
This is a pretty good post for some of our newer members! Generally for most off road/dirt road adventures I suggest for vehicle requirements and basic gear:
Recovery points front and rear.
Functional full size spare and a way to change it. Plus knowledge of how to change said tire.
Tow strap with loops on the end. NO HOOKS.
Some way to air tires up and down (optional but strongly recommended) Air pressure is the biggest thing in getting a stock rig or a 2wd rig through lower traction situations.
Something to put out fires
Work gloves
Up to date maps of the areas you're traveling in

Optional things that are highly recommended: Shovel, 2 way communication of some kind thats not a cell phone, extra food, water, sleeping gear etc if stuff really hits the fan. recovery boards can be helpful, but often I find airing down helps more. some sort of saw or axe. Basic handtool set incase stuff brakes or some plastic decides to liberate itself from your truck or who knows. Sometimes a 13mm socket is what you need to tighten a loose battery holder or any number of things that can work their way loose on a trip.

I don't suggest that most people bring along farm jacks as they're not the easiest to learn how to use properly and the chance of failure with them is high if you're not using em correctly. 99% of rigs I see the silly things on don't have proper points to use them much less do the owners take proper care of them. A good bottle jack is often a better option.

Most of that stuff will get most trucks through 99% of the things you'll see on trails that aren't hard core rock crawling.

Now for conditions and how hard its gonna be, well, dunno.... our current plan for us it to take our two trucks and one is 2wd so it'll be an adventure no matter what, haha. I'm not too worried however as wifey is a good driver and her truck has a locker in the rear. and my jeep is uh, capable.

If it helps anyone, I can put together a list of the stuff I keep in my jeep for trips.

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
This is a pretty good post for some of our newer members! Generally for most off road/dirt road adventures I suggest for vehicle requirements and basic gear:
Recovery points front and rear.
Functional full size spare and a way to change it. Plus knowledge of how to change said tire.
Tow strap with loops on the end. NO HOOKS.
Some way to air tires up and down (optional but strongly recommended) Air pressure is the biggest thing in getting a stock rig or a 2wd rig through lower traction situations.
Something to put out fires
Work gloves
Up to date maps of the areas you're traveling in

Optional things that are highly recommended: Shovel, 2 way communication of some kind thats not a cell phone, extra food, water, sleeping gear etc if stuff really hits the fan. recovery boards can be helpful, but often I find airing down helps more. some sort of saw or axe. Basic handtool set incase stuff brakes or some plastic decides to liberate itself from your truck or who knows. Sometimes a 13mm socket is what you need to tighten a loose battery holder or any number of things that can work their way loose on a trip.

I don't suggest that most people bring along farm jacks as they're not the easiest to learn how to use properly and the chance of failure with them is high if you're not using em correctly. 99% of rigs I see the silly things on don't have proper points to use them much less do the owners take proper care of them. A good bottle jack is often a better option.

Most of that stuff will get most trucks through 99% of the things you'll see on trails that aren't hard core rock crawling.

Now for conditions and how hard its gonna be, well, dunno.... our current plan for us it to take our two trucks and one is 2wd so it'll be an adventure no matter what, haha. I'm not too worried however as wifey is a good driver and her truck has a locker in the rear. and my jeep is uh, capable.

If it helps anyone, I can put together a list of the stuff I keep in my jeep for trips.
Thanks for the detailed general advise - I'll have to work my list a little more. AND I was smiling when I saw 35' tires with 2.5 lift == not worried :)
Hope to join on the 1oth and meet

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Thanks
This trip is going to be a pretty easy trip, logging roads & nothing technical. The hardest area would be if we head up to Faucherie Lake. Most of the trails are accessible for SUV's and if you have stock 4x4 you won't have any problems. Also a KML track has been attached to the Rally Point.

Reactions: TrailHawkGuy

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I don't see anything in the details where we're camping and where the trip ends. Does anyone know this information?
I have found about five camp site locations, but since we are starting on Saturday, not Friday we're going to have to play it by ear on finding a camp site. I have no doubt we'll find something epic. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey everyone apparently I have been remiss on posting a list of requirements for this trip, and I am sorry. The area's we'll be in are very well traveled logging roads. These road are graded with some slightly steep grades, some area with smaller rock. @JCWages and I ran these areas couple of weeks a go and I only went into 4 wheel drive one time. Anyone that has a stock 4x4 should have zero issues on these trails. The following items you should bring if you have it.

Items to bring:

* Any recovery gear you have (because you never know)
* Tools
* Air up and Air down items. Don't worry if you don't have, those that do can help you.
* Camping gear if your camping
* Water
* Lunch if your just doing the day trip
* Food for two days if you're camping.
* If you have a CB, GMRS or Ham Radio (handheld or in vehicle) bring them. (Ham 146.460 / GMRS-15 / CB-16)
* If you have a tablet with mapping programs (I use Gaia GPS) so that you can record the track if you want.

Again sorry for not giving you this info earlier

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Oh can everyone let me know what type of comms they are running, ie; Ham radio, GMRS or Citizens Band radios. Also if you don't have anything let me know.

Thanks

Reactions: rho

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

GMRS here.

When Mike and I ran this track we thought about each of you that are running nearly stock vehicles and none of you will have a problem. The short track up to Faucherie is the most "difficult" but it is optional. If you start to feel overwhelmed there are plenty of turnouts where you can park your rig and hop in with another driver. None of us want to see a rig damaged and we chose this track accordingly. By the time you reach anything that puts you slightly out of your comfort zone you'll already have logged enough dirt miles to feel relaxed and ready for something more. :)

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Xplor1994

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Union City, California, USA
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Belanger
Member #

I did Faucherie Lake from Bowman Lake last weekend, the most difficult part was the broken bridge pass and meeting other rigs on the single lane trail around the lake lol. Stock 4x4 can do it no problem, just a little bumpee in some area.

Here a picture of Faucherie Lake from last weekend.

Attachments

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Comms: Ham, Kenwood TH-D72A dual band hand held (for now).

GPS: iPad w/imbeded gps running Gaia, Garmin Inreach Explorer (with no service for now), iPhone w/imbeded GPS, Ford truck w/imbeded GPS (LOL)

Never thought I would say this, BUT......my...Truck....HAS.....GPS!!! LOL :D

Oh..... I just might have GPS....... :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

Last edited:

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
Thanks
This trip is going to be a pretty easy trip, logging roads & nothing technical. The hardest area would be if we head up to Faucherie Lake. Most of the trails are accessible for SUV\'s and if you have stock 4x4 you won\'t have any problems. Also a KML track has been attached to the Rally Point.
Mike, awesome should have no problems then.
PS I tried to look for the KML track on the Rally point but I only see a pointer to the Rally Parking Lot Meet-up point. I must be missing something and not look in the correct spot.
Cheers