Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

For the past couple of months, I’ve been having a blast traveling around and making up for the time I didn’t get to explore in 2020. I’ve visited 21 National and State Parks as well as a dozen or so historic sites and markers, all since about the first of April. These were all regional outings to get ready for some longer trips later this summer. It’s been fun to test out and shake down new gear and new ideas I’ve been working on during the lockdowns. I also used the travel to activate a bunch of parks for the Parks on the Air ham radio program.

My only rule for these past months was: No itinerary. No agenda at all. Just get out and see what there was to see. Roadside diners, secret fishing spots, wineries, summer festivals... good times have been had.

Most of the parks in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, etc have reserved campsites for about $20 a night and they can be booked online or by phone. If you get there during office hours you can still get a site at the park office. Things are getting a bit more crowded the past couple of weeks, though, and I imagine I’ll be using more hotels/cabins as the summer wears on. Boondocking is not really my thing anymore but it works if everything else is full. It‘s all about being adaptable, right?

The travel is the point, not the destination.

Lots more on the horizon but here are a few shots of the rig from the adventures so far.

E26DDACA-D0E0-4A03-A416-3EDDC7E96342.jpeg5D3547A6-B4E6-47F1-AB97-8C75C65B73E4.jpeg22272598-0680-4823-958E-5FDFC2991EE7.jpeg8CF6D6B3-71B6-4F6F-827F-BC0547B5C30E.jpegD701F115-2B26-423D-BDF8-24EB91B8F5E0.jpegFA00D49D-CACE-4456-BFED-2631DB873DB1.jpegD5076195-E880-4653-8FF3-DA42D956980C.jpeg313DCB0C-FC9B-4D80-A582-8BBA94957480.jpeg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
@grubworm I tried to reply to you but your post disappeared. Have no idea what happened.
yeah, i dont see it either. that's weird.
well, i really like your jeep and definitely agreed with you on not making set plans. we did a 2 week trip out west last month and the way it was over crowded and hard to make reservations at some places or places like the Arches Natl Park closing at 10am due to over crowding, just really showed me that i am right for not making set plans and just winging most things. the wife and i travel a LOT and that is the way we both travel and we always end up seeing the best sights and always manage to find a place to sleep...even if turns out to be a spot behind a hotel on south padre island, a rest area on the side of the road or even the occasional motel room.
that's so cool that you are traveling the way you do...21 parks since april is an incredible amount. like you said: 'The travel is the point, not the destination.'..
so for us, having that mindset along with the ability to "wing it" all the time, EVERY trip is a good trip! :grinning:

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

well, i really like your jeep and definitely agreed with you on not making set plans. we did a 2 week trip out west last month and the way it was over crowded and hard to make reservations at some places or places like the Arches Natl Park closing at 10am due to over crowding, just really showed me that i am right for not making set plans and just winging most things. the wife and i travel a LOT and that is the way we both travel and we always end up seeing the best sights and always manage to find a place to sleep...even if turns out to be a spot behind a hotel on south padre island, a rest area on the side of the road or even the occasional motel room.
that's so cool that you are traveling the way you do...21 parks since april is an incredible amount. like you said: 'The travel is the point, not the destination.'..
so for us, having that mindset along with the ability to "wing it" all the time, EVERY trip is a good trip! :grinning:
Absolutely! Sometimes you end up seeing more interesting things along the way by being flexible and winging it. Glad to hear you've been having some good times out there too. Cheers

Reactions: 9Mike2 and grubworm

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I think the winging-it is the toughest thing for most people, not knowing where they are going to sleep probably the #1 "scary thing" out there. I don't say that negatively at all, but it is unnerving for many. I guess that is why the NPS fills up a year in advance! But as many here have said (and I have slept with a family of 4 in an extended cab 1/2 ton at a rest stop too) if you are willing to improvise a bit you will soon find that you can be much more relaxed.