Advocate I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

Off topic, sorf of.

Where do you guys store photos? Dropbox style or something like that?

thinking of a place I can dump all my trip photos and send the link to family so they can view and save as they want.
Drop box is great for things like that, but recently I've been sharing to Google photos. Its easy for people to add photos (most of my friends are cell-togs) and share with other people. If you don't care about the quality of the image (GP has a size limit) I recommend GP.

When I get "paying gigs" I transfer images via dropbox for the buyer. I say "paying gigs" because I usually "charge" $1-5 a photo for AutoX or track events. I'm not a pro, and I'm there anyway just playing around. I also don't I sell photos if there is a pro... its their livelihood, no need for me to intrude.

As a sony shooter that came from Nikon, I'll never be one to chase the Megapixels. My Alpha has plenty, and filling Terabytes of storage with "ho-hum" photos is all to easy. I still look back at my Nikon photos that are tack sharp out of a crop with some good glass. In my opinion anyone that thinks they *need* +50mp is kidding themselves.... Anyone that knows they need it... already has an order in for one, lol!

Reactions: Boort

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

As a sony shooter that came from Nikon, I'll never be one to chase the Megapixels. My Alpha has plenty, and filling Terabytes of storage with "ho-hum" photos is all to easy. I still look back at my Nikon photos that are tack sharp out of a crop with some good glass. In my opinion anyone that thinks they *need* +50mp is kidding themselves.... Anyone that knows they need it... already has an order in for one, lol!
So true! Some of my best selling images are from an old Nikon D80. I’m also selling iPhone images these days. It’s really more about the photo content than about the number of pixels.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So true! Some of my best selling images are from an old Nikon D80. I’m also selling iPhone images these days. It’s really more about the photo content than about the number of pixels.
Me too. I am using two cameras. A fujifilm x10 and X-S1. Both 12 mp both take amazing photos. As I mentioned many times before, you don't put your nose on a photograph. You look at it from a distance so MP is no big deal. My friend used to sell photos and the best selling photo was from a 6mp minolta DSLR. People don't care, only spec's racers. I mentioned the GFX more on the side of the overall image quality of the glass and body and how they work together. If spending 5g on a 40-50mp nikon, spend the extra bit on the fuji and have a system that just produces WOW images. Either way, I am out at that price range. My two cameras have the same sensor and image processing engines. Both cameras, set the same, take the same image. I have them nailed now and they work great for work and pleasure. I am even using them for video now with great results. Nope, they are not 4k, but they don't have to be to produce great videos.

NathanPAnderson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Northeast Arkansas
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Off topic, sorf of.

Where do you guys store photos? Dropbox style or something like that?

thinking of a place I can dump all my trip photos and send the link to family so they can view and save as they want.
I export all of my photos from Lightroom on my iPad to my Photos app which then saves and syncs to iCloud. Then I can add those photos to an iCloud shared album and send the link to anyone I would to share those photos with. I can set it to also allow others to post their photos there if they want. It's a great easy to use option that feels doesn't require any extra setup or exporting/importing. It makes editing and then sharing to customers or social media a breeze.

NathanPAnderson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Northeast Arkansas
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Just to follow up on this thread, I have been taking thousands upon thousands of photos and even recently got my first paid gig as the official event photography for the Big Iron Overland Rally in May. They were so amazed with the photos they paid me extra and said I was already automatically hired for any future events. This was the big breakthrough I was hoping for!

Also, shameless plug: I just recently launched a Patreon page so that friends and family can support my photography dreams while gaining access to a whole host of photos and "behind the lens content" as I like to call it. If interested, feel free to check it out on my website below. Thanks!

Back to making money now, I decided to try and use Patreon after seeing and hearing first hand about the success that many overland youtubers have had with the platform. It is a simple way to get a little bit here and there that can add up to a lot of recurring income. Hopefully it works out. If not, nothing lost and I'll still be having tons of fun taking photos like I already plan to do whether I get paid or not.